Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is kind of an off topic, so I figured I would put it here.

Do any of you feel that little sting of pain every time someone slams your suicide doors??? It pretty much makes me want to pass out, and All of my friends make fun of me for enforcing the iron handed "Shut the door slowly" law.

They will get out of my E and slowly shut the door saying "Is this slow enough Dallan?? How about now? Oh No it's shutting too fast!". Then of course I get the people new to the E that decide it will be a great idea to drop a nuclear bomb on the poor doors.

Anybody out there as neurotic as me?? :p

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
funny! They do have a much louder slam than typical doors. I think it is inherent to the suicide style. I know the cargo vans have the same sound.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hello everyone! This is kind of an off topic, so I figured I would put it here.

Do any of you feel that little sting of pain every time someone slams your suicide doors??? It pretty much makes me want to pass out, and All of my friends make fun of me for enforcing the iron handed "Shut the door slowly" law.

They will get out of my E and slowly shut the door saying "Is this slow enough Dallan?? How about now? Oh No it's shutting too fast!". Then of course I get the people new to the E that decide it will be a great idea to drop a nuclear bomb on the poor doors.

Anybody out there as neurotic as me?? :p

:lol: My children always need to be reminded :rolleyes: so far it's working but always forgets, Hey! You have the rights to say Easy with Slamming my Door or simply say That’s not how you break it. (Reverse psych) still sounds Neurotic :D Oh! Other options, Dynamat all the doors..

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would not worry about it. Have you noticed just how heavy they are? They are built much stronger than the average door just because there is no pillar there. The Suicide doors are the pillar. They are built to take it.

Slam away Merrill!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about that, too. My friends kinda took offense the first time I said anything, but they got the hint when I offered them the opportunity to make the payment.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
you could always offer to let them walk too.;-)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah, I always cringe when someone slams it. Every time we get out the car, I try to be the one who closes it (if they come out of my side). I think it gets slammed a lot is because it's basically half a door and people forget and just let it fly.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
I'm with you! I never liked any door on my cars slammed. I don't understand why some people feel they have to SLAM the doors. I don't think I have ever slammed any doors on a car. I hate it and let them know right away.:mad:

·
Registered
112 Posts
im right there with you i feel like maybe the E will get her revenge on someone one day then it will have the last laugh. or the tailgate that really gets me they just slam it up in there.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, the tailgate is no old school pickup tailgate that won't close unless you slam it kind of thing. It takes very little effort to close the E's.

No slamming please...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I'm with you! I never liked any door on my cars slammed. I don't understand why some people feel they have to SLAM the doors. I don't think I have ever slammed any doors on a car. I hate it and let them know right away.:mad:
I feel the same way,I don't like when people slam my doors either,especially if I'm sitting in my E' as it seems quite loud. A few years ago an ex girlfriend of mine would get so mad at me,that she would slam my door really hard.Well I told her don't slam my door like that.:-x Well that didn't seem to stop her,so I would just wait until she got out of the car and when she would go to slam the door,I would quickly lean over from my seat and catch it before it could even shut,thus defeating her angry door slam.:D That actually just made her even more angry.lol:lol:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i've noticed that lots of folks tend to slam the doors of many Hondas. i don't know why.
perhaps Honda doors are lighter?
perhaps Hondas are vented better so that you don't have to push so much air w/ the door to close it?
perhaps the doors of Hondas latch easier than those of other vehicles, so that they don't need to be slammed?
perhaps it's just my perception, and i'm actually slamming the door just are hard as i think the others are?

like i said, i don't know why.
some folks adjust how hard they swing a door, others swing all doors the same. i'm the type that will either use the handle to close a door, or feeling the weight of the door, will swing it w/ just enough force so that it just latches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I hate when people slam my doors. I'm not driving some POS where the doors don't latch or something so lets go easy on my doors. Have the same problem with my camaro, really pisses me off because thats my baby lol.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,829 Posts
Swinging door shut too hard is probably a habit learned from riding in old American design cars that had heavier doors. When "they" have to shell out 20 grand for a car, perhaps they'll learn.

It bugs me when anyone slams ANY door, not just car doors. I have remember to use more force than I'd like when closing the Elements tailgate, or it doesn't latch completely and I'll hear it rattle as I drive down the street.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've rode in some big ol'hoopties, but never needed to slam them. My dads truck no matter how much you slam the tailgate you can't get it closed, you have to hold the handle up and then you can nicely close the tailgate lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The thing that I have noticed most is that after a few good slams, it loosens the black bracket hoop where the bottom of the suicide door locks in.

So after you notice the rattling of the door and the inability to fully close it, you have to get in there with a philips screwdriver and tighten it back up.

Irritating to say the least.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was going to comment about having to tighten the bracket thing in the door after too many slams.
I cant stand to hear any door slam.

D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
One of my pet peeves is car door slamming. My wife is a big time door slammer and so is my boss. Honda doors are easy to close-as are most modern car and truck doors.
Back "in the day" when I drove 70's-80's GM cars-you always had to either lift up on the door while closing or slam because the darn hinges wouldn't stay tight.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I removed the rear seats and let other people drive when there are more than 2 people.

I'm on my motorcycle more than I'm in the E so it really doesn't come up much but when I did carry passengers it was a constant problem. They seemed to slam those doors with a vengeance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts