Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
First I must admit that I have gone over many of the posts for certain Element mod's but never registered. I have used ideas from all sources found here including Rishio, ramblerdan, Gaily, YouTube vid from itsthedem, BikeZen, and mostly a Flickr photoset from thetimetravelers.

I wanted a platform for sleeping that would accomodate me, and only me, and still have room for my bike. I may be roadtripping into an area where I don't want to leave the bike on the top overnight even if I am just underneath it sleeping. Better to hide it inside then invite a would be thief.

I usually travel alone when in the Element so no need for the full platform. If I am traveling with someone else it is either full camping or hotel.

I decided early on that my bike would be behind me so that my view would not be blocked when turning to look out the right hand rear window. It worked out really well and now I can't even see the bike if I decide to drive with it inside. It also allows for plenty of room for me to sleep comfortably.

I designed a single 30" flip to accomodate my feet and make the sleeping platform complete. With the headrest removed and placed in the seat there seems to be plenty of support. I may decide later on to add a PVC type support that was used by another person here.

Dimensions and parts:
MAIN PLATFORM (3/4" thick) - 33" W x 53" L
FLIP (3/4" thick) - 25" W x 30"L
PIANO HINGE: 24" L (screws came with)
TURNBUCKLES: 3/8" x 10"
S HOOKS: 3"
EYE HOOKS: #6
1" STOCK: 1" x 3"
FLOOR FLANGES: 1/2"
GALV PIPE LEGS: 1/2" x 12"
RUBBER TIPS (FEET): 3/4"
Various screws 1" to 1 1/2"

The recliner option is really nice as you can turn your body around (I plan to sleep with my head on the taligate side) and recline. The seat just needs to be put up, or down, in the right position and there is then plenty of support.

Check out the pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/RoadTripEric/Element#

I will be adding more as I modify a bit. I will be adding some carpet and paint soon. I will also be doing one of the rear latch mods so that I can use the rear tailgate for entry and exit.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas, sharing them, and ingenuity!

·
Registered
362 Posts
VERY nice - I particularly like the recliner section and how you incorporated the front passenger seat into supporting the recliner at various angles.

Do add the carpeting, all I can think of seeing those plywood edges is "splinters!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Larry. Yes, the carpet will be a must. I just want to do it right and didn't find the right thing just yet. I will be hoping to find something that has a bit of padding, inexpensive, and matches the interior.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh, and Eric, welcome to the forum and do take the time to fill out your profile in "User CP." That will let us know where you're located, and what model, year, color Element you drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Weight concern

Looks great. My only concern would be the back leg that's sitting on the plastic spare tire cover. Wouldn't want it to crack from the weight.
TheTimeTravelers - Good point! I did crawl all over it with another person watching the flooring and impact points. They didn't see any collapse or movement of anything, but I still may try to make a "foot" to disperse weight in that specific area. It would really suck to have that fall through and been forewarned about it.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I will update my profile and try to contribute when appropriate.

RTE

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nice job & welcome to the nut house. I originally looked at the raised air mattress but they were too long. Did cut the corner of my platform behind the drivers seat. Makes it easier to get in & out.

Gaily

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 E, and have car-camped several times, and realized I would be more comfortable on a platform. This looks to be the best design I've seen. The main advantage being the under storage. I have an interior bike rack that should fit nicely along side the platform. Thank you!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'9 and can stretch out in the back without dealing with putting down the front seat backs. Besides, when I'm on the road, I need all the space in front to put stuff from the back at night.

But, yes, I have taken out both rear seats and have a sheet of 3/4" ply for the floor. It stays in there year 'round as I only need my E for me and maybe one passenger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts