Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting pictures first... i'll edit/add comments as time goes...

Start up materials...

First of 4 base modules, dimensions: 20"x40" (40" x60" =3, 40"x80" = all 4 with E tent on)

Modules possibilities...

Mattress base... Rollable red cedar strips 44" wide expandable from 60" to 80"

Fully extended...

Gone Fishing! ...

Base modules have removable legs for easy storage and i use 2 of them as base to store my canoe...

Total cost : 100$ CAD

Enjoy the summer everyone! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this 3 inch diameter? Did you get it at a particular big box store? I couldn't find black at home depot, just curious.

I'm considering doing this and using bungee cord for the middle supports and making it only half the width of the floor, more like the size of a cot.

·
Registered
777 Posts
thats a great set up. very light weight which I love. I'd only add some wire basket storage under the platform

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recycled vertical blinds aluminum tracks

Built an ABS modular platform with cedar slats base 2 year ago. Worked great but... every 1/4" counts inside the E!

Decided to go aluminum and foldable for a 70" long platform!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My ABS modular platform with cedar slats base built 2 year ago worked great but... every 1/4" counts inside the E!

Decided to go aluminum and foldable for a 70" long platform!

Base material:
Vertical blinds tracks

Folded

Frame installed

Re used the cedar slats

Back section folded for the everyday dogs limo...

Dogs limo pad installed, they actually seem to like the added height for the view!

Mesurements & more pics with Cabana installed to follow throughout the summer!... ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Re-installed the new set-up this week-end.
Found out i want the folded part up front and the rear part to fit in with the tailgate closed for driving. Rear part can be easily lifted with the hinges to access the storage underneath.
Seats have to be slided forward to unfold the front hinged section for a full 70inches platform.
Also found out i'll have to add a center cross member to both folding sections to increase sturdiness.

Also installed small clipped oscillating fans usb and lithium ion powered on each rear door handles for the hot afternoon rest between Atlantic salmon fishing morning & evening drops or warm rainy nights when we can't use the Cabana.
Enjoy the summer & happy roadtrips to every E owners out there! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
i can understand camping in the cooler winter months but i don't
understand how people camp in the desert and summer months
without a/c. do you leave the engine and a/c running all night ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i can understand camping in the cooler winter months but i don't
understand how people camp in the desert and summer months
without a/c. do you leave the engine and a/c running all night ?
Winter months here (jan & feb) have an average of - 30F... i would never sleep in my E in winterhere! Ever seen snow? 6 feet deep!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would rather sleep in 30 deg temps than 80-90 deg !
you can always use a heavy blanket !
Talking about minus 30 F here... death freezing cold... no heavy blanket would save your life here in winter... that's why we Canadians love the ever too short summer... with a few 110 to 120F days in july!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts