Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched everywhere, and can't find anybody who has a sleeping platform placed on top of the rear seats folded down. Can this be done? thx!!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
That depends on what exactly you mean. If you mean simply a sheet of plywood or whatever placed on the rear seats with the rear seats themselves providing all of the support for it it, I would caution against it for stability reasons. If someone were to put all their weight on the back section (resting on the seat backs) it would stress the seat structure VERY hard. If, however, you have a sheet of plywood with the front supported on the rear seats and the back supported on some legs, I don't see why it won't work though it might be a bit wobbly

Honestly my first big question would be why do you need it? The back of the E is big enough to sleep 2 people semi-comfortably so why would you need more seating during driving? That and it would be a royal pain in the butt to install for sleeping then de-install for driving.

Not trying to pick apart your request, just really curious if there's a specific reason behind needing that particular configuration.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
If you want to sleep in the Element with all the seat backs down, that can be done. If the surface is too uneven for your liking, there are a couple of options
- cover everything with an air mattress. A double (full) should work. A queen might fit if it tolerates between squeezed.
- fill in the hollows with wedges of foam (look in the yellow pages for a local foam shop).

Sleeping on the floor with the seats up also works. This gives you a flat space about 6' long, 40" wide. But with the seats up against the sides, shoulder level room is less than this. Leaving the tailgate down adds a foot and half of flat space. Various tent enclosures of the open tailgate have been discussed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to leave at least one rear seat in for my five year old daughter for travel, and wanted as much room as possible by having the platform or mattress on top of the seats. I'm trying to come up with a setup that would work with the rear seats in and can sleep two adults and one child comfortably.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
There is enough area inside the Element to, in theory, sleep two adults, and one child, crosswise. With a 4' platform in back, no rear seats, and front ones lowered, two adults fit at the back end of the 8' length, and my dog sleeps on the front passenger seat.

But you are going to hit the problem of storing other gear. Some of my stuff goes under my platform. I fill the dash, the footwells in front of the front seats, and the seats themselves, but still have to store several boxes of gear outside.

http://www.pbase.com/paulj3/elementplatform

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Here's a more recent view (about 1 yr old) of the platform ready sleeping, with mattresses in place, gear stuffed in front, and the dog asleep on a tower of food boxes. On the road, the storage pockets by the rear side windows are strung across the middle to form a cargo management netting. The wood bars that they hang from attach to the grab handles (above) and the seat brackets below. The left there's a Coleman fan that stirs the air up a bit on warm stuffy evenings.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I have to leave at least one rear seat in for my five year old daughter for travel, and wanted as much room as possible by having the platform or mattress on top of the seats. I'm trying to come up with a setup that would work with the rear seats in and can sleep two adults and one child comfortably.
Interesting, and definitely doable. Don't think I've seen one like that though. Like PaulJ suggested though, you could fairly easily get by with putting a full/queen air mattress over all of the seats fully reclined. Other than that, you might have found yourself a good design project :lol:

Oh now that I think about it, you COULD always make a 3-section fold-up, similar to the one I have. The major difference would be the the middle 2 sections would fold up onto the back section. In other words, the cargo area would contain the base with legs and the other two sections would chain fold on top of it like a tri-fold wallet laying on an end section. Make sense? I can whip up a diagram later if you're interested.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. Just picked up an '05 EX AWD with 48,000 miles. Can't wait to start the project.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts