Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the mats help things from sliding?

We put some tubs in the back for groceries. So that works ok.

Keith

·
Registered
352 Posts
I put the carpeted mats in my E and things don't slide around like they used to. In the back, i put a carrier made of netting and tubing to hold the weekly grocery run to Walmart. These carriers can be found at Walmart in the automotive section and run about 13 bucks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
[quote:1f58f301ea="lon777"]I put the carpeted mats in my E and things don't slide around like they used to. In the back, i put a carrier made of netting and tubing to hold the weekly grocery run to Walmart. These carriers can be found at Walmart in the automotive section and run about 13 bucks.[/quote:1f58f301ea]

Any details on the Walmart carrier would be appreciated. I am having the same problem and can't find an aftermarket product that works. $13.00 bucks sounds good to me...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm sorry but i can't remember the name of the product. Like i said they're in the automotive section at Walmart and come disasembled. The best I can remember is the box is approx 20 inches long by 12 inches wide and 3 inches thick. The carrier is a nylon mesh material and its supported by 4 metal posts and the end pieces are plastic. Look around where the floor mats and accessories are at. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I posted this suggestion "somewhere" before but it's a nice, inexpensive answer. Go to any mass merchant (wally's world, target, etc.) look in their housewares dept. for rubberized non slip shelf liner. Have been using it in the back for the last month and works great. Comes in rolls and runs a coouple of bucks a roll. If it tears, just put another piece down. I have it under my organizer and it just doesn't move anymore. The rest of the floor is covered as needed depending on what I'm carrying. Try it out :wink:

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I picked up my Element on Friday and went grocery shopping on saturday and noticed the same sliping and sliding. So after reading this I went to WalMart and found the storage thing. It is called the StorageMaster by either Hoppy or Spillmaster (both names are on the top of the box) It cost right around 13 dollars I found it in the auto section between boxes for trucks and floor mats. Havent got to put it together yet or try it but I will let you know more once I do.

·
Registered
448 Posts
:( Bought the Spillmater storage thingee... I'm gonna return it . It still slides and I feel like I lost storage space. So in my opinion and for what I need, it's back to the drawing board.. Thanks all...

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. I still have assembled mine and tried it... hope it suits me better. I also saw in the housewares section of walmart that they sell lots of rubbermaid containers and some are only around 4-5 inches high maybve you could find one of those that would fit nicely in the back of the E. Let me know if you find anything that works good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I have found that the "rubberized non slip shelf liner" that RayO is talking about works great. My wife has it in her van that she uses to deliver flowers with, keeps everything in it's place. I will be hauling a lot of odd size stuff around in my E (when it comes in, this week I hope) and plan on putting a few feet of the stuff down. It's inexpensive, easy to work with and comes in a few colors. It is hard to side things on. If you decide to use it, cut into a few small strips. That way if you need to slide something across the floor, you can just roll the strips up and tuck them away.

vegasbaby, try some of this stuff under that "storage thingee" of yours. I think you will find it works well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the Storagemaster thing from Walmart (even before I read about it here), but will be returning it. It took me literally an hour to assemble it! It's held together by tension, so when you're putting it together, one slip and it all comes flying apart. Also, at least in my case, if you try to pick it up (like to move it out of the way when you're not using it), it will also come flying apart. I could see that it would be more hassle than it was worth. To each his/her own.

My current solution is to have a carpet mat (purchased at a CVS drug store for 7.99) in the cargo area. At a local "organizing" store I found a set of chocks that are sold for exactly this purpose. I just put my grocery bags (or whatever) up against the back of one of the rear seats, then arrange the three chocks around the bags to hold them in place. The chocks remain firmly in place because they grip the carpet with a bunch of little plastic hooks AND velcro.

That's for things that will be in the car only temporarily, such as groceries. For things like battery cables, cleaning supplies, etc., I bought a largish, opaque Rubbermaid container with lid. I refer to this as my "trunk" -- I've put all kinds of stuff in it, from a 1st-aid kit to a couple of walkie talkies, and I haven't filled it up yet (though it requires some rooting around and digging to get to everything). This container used to slide around in the car, too, but now that it sits on the carpet mat it remains where it's supposed to!

- Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
:shock: I had some velcro from another project lying around. You can buy regular car mats at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks. They are great for the price. Stick the velcro on the floor and on the back of the mat. Then you can just buy new mats when they get crappy. You can buy carpet really cheap at Home Depot and use velcro to stick it in the back ("trunk") so that stuff does not slide around back there too. Real easy, real cheap, and it doesn't mar the appearance of the E.

Goofyfoot
Black EX 4WD

·
Registered
13 Posts
:twisted: I kind of like it when everything slides around....

not really.

My poor husband hates it -- and when I say hate, I mean hate.
Yesterday I had to remove the CD player from up above storage area
because it was "rattling."

I was out shopping yesterday, and EVERYTHING was sliding around. Even my mom commented on it! I guess I better do something about it soon. I used to have a basket from Target that was around $30 with the liner stuff underneath, and that worked, and it looked good.

But then whenever we needed to use the ENTIRE trunk for something, it was a hassle taking the large-sized basket out. So that became a toy box. Now I'm back to nothing in the trunk.

Reminds me: Everybody always complains about my doors, how they're backwards, etc. (Waiting for person in front to open for person in back.) But you don't hear ANYBODY complaining when it's their turn to clean it; i.e., lack of CONSTANT VACUUMING!!!!!!:???:

·
Registered
255 Posts
man this is an old thread...

I found an interesting solution over the weekend. I keep bungee cords and tie-downs in the car, and I keep the bungees stretched from the driver's side front tie-down point up to the handle on the ceiling with the driver's side seat removed.

I piled all my groceries in the back right up against the vertical bungee cord (they were mostly paper bags, which probably helped) and ran a strap around the groceries, connecting both hook ends to the bungee cord. Everything stayed in place!

Keep in mind I don't buy that many groceries at once, usually it only takes two trips to carry everything in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sliding Grocery Bags

When I go shopping, if the items are in plastic bags, I hook them on the flip-down plastic hooks in the back by the tailgate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just run a bunjee cord b/w the 2 back tie downs and when I get groceries I just run the cord through the bags handles - takes a couple of seconds and nothing moves.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts