Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm dedicating this thread to log my journey of Mods and Care for my E. I will add as many photos and specifics as possible. Any other thread that I got my how too's from or were instrumental in helping me along will get a post linking back here to build in those threads. This will mainly be for my own record keeping of sorts, but thanks for looking and feel free to add any input!

2007 NBP EX FWD 5AT
2816398215.jpg
2816398175.jpg
2816398199.jpg

66336 Miles - E Purchased 4.28.2011 - 2nd Owner
Previous Dealer Service before purchase;
Oil change, Coolant Flush n fill, new wiper refills.

Mods & Accessories
-OEM Roof Rack (Original dealer installed)
-OEM Mudflaps (Original dealer installed)
-Paint Protection (Original dealer installed)
-Recall 2007-2008 Element, Odyssey VSA Modulator - Fixed (so says VIN check)
-Firestone Destination LE tires, stock size - purchased with.
-Element Trunk Space Cover
-Removed front license plate holder
-Joll 'E' Roger Floor Mat
-HD Grill Guard -4.30.11/66k

Maintenance and Care
-Added bottle of Gumout to dealers full tank, had it laying around to help clean a 99 Civic we ended up selling. Figure it can't hurt.
-Cabin Air Filter Change -4.30.11/66k
-Bottom driver side plastic bumper crack fixed -4.30.11/66k

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Cabin Air Filter Change

EWWWW! the previous owners must have never done this one, or had a thing for Wookies. Air smells so much better now. This Purolator one has less folds than the OEM and was $18, but I really didn't want to take the time to shop around after seeing it. Thanks to RamblerDan for the how to photos!

CabinAirFilter.jpg

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HD Grill Guard Mod

I loved the fact that I did this the first weekend of ownership. Set my mind on the right course about future plans and fixed a problem with the bumper that could have gotten worse.

$8 in supplies from Home Depot, have left over zips and paint now too! In hind sight, I would not chose this paint again. 5 coats and still scratches off very easy. Should have clear coated also. I can always do it over :x
grillsupplies.jpg

Before, can already see some damage has been done.
2011-05-01 11.00.53.jpg

Nose cover removed. Lost nor Broke any clips, used paint can lid tool idea from the original thread. Great tool! Also pleased to see no signs of front end collision!
2011-05-01 11.44.51.jpg

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HD Grill Guard Mod Cont.

Here is the inside of bumper with 5 zip ties... zipped. I chose to do 3 on bottom and 2 top, alternating. I did the bottom first and got them all to line up great. Oops, should have done the tops first since you see those more often. Tops did not line up as great and look kind of wide and oblong from the front. Guess I am doing this again in the future.

Yes, the tails were cut and the excess gutter guard was trimmed and folded in towards the front to catch any rogue stones and it made it look better. Sorry, no photos on the trim . The guard could have fit perfectly fine between the two bumper posts.
2011-05-01 12.17.15.jpg

Oh great! look what I found, A massive crack running the inside and bottom of the plastic! Fantastic!
2011-05-01 11.48.46.jpg
2011-05-01 11.48.23.jpg
I can't really tell if the previous owner ran up a curb, or it is a factory defect since the vertical length of the crack is only on the inside and shows no sign of wear on the outside.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HD Grill Guard Mod Cont.

Good thing the old 4runner is not for sale yet. Ran back up to Home Depot and picked up a $4 tube of JB Weld Kwik Pastik. Lucked out with the two clip holes. They held the two side together perfect. Cured for an hour and it feels very sturdy.
2011-05-01 14.36.56.jpg
2011-05-01 14.37.09.jpg
OH NO RUST! While the JB cured I gave these bumper mounting brackets a light sanding, alcohol rub down and 3 heavy coats of the BBQ paint. Only spot of rust I've seen yet. It was on all three bars (center not pictured). Has anyone else dealt with this? what did you use to fix? I'm thinking a re-do with some sort of 3M tape might be in order if this paint doesn't hold up.
bumperbracketrust.jpg

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HD Grill Guard Mod Cont.

Alright! lets put it back together! Nuts! I dropped a clip down the side of the radiator and it landed in a bottom support beam. Thank god for skinny, helpful girlfriends!
2011-05-01 15.24.06.jpg

Over View
2011-05-01 15.57.58.jpg
^Notice I did not leave the JB white, hit it with the bbq paint and wiped off the excess. Not perfect, but I'll work on cleaning it up more later. I was feeling pretty sun burnt at that point!

Close up
2011-05-01 15.58.09.jpg

Big thanks to all those before me that carved the path to do this!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks good! May the mod bug continue to bit!:lol:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Alright! lets put it back together! Nuts! I dropped a clip down the side of the radiator and it landed in a bottom support beam. Thank god for skinny, helpful girlfriends!
yeah, you haven't really worked on your vehicle 'til you've either dropped a clip somewhere you can't reach, or broken a clip.

<grin>

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Looking good Sir. 8) Not sure if it's your pictures, but it looks like your passenger side headlight could use a good polishing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
E-Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement so far everyone!

I did the most popular side marker mod today. Had to go to 5 different stores to piece together the parts. Didn't find what I wanted, mainly adhesive lined shrink tube, but settled for the below.

Top splice 5 pack = $4
Butt connectors with solder insides 3 pack = $3
3" black zip ties 100 pack =$2.50
3' 18g black wire @ .35c per foot = $1.05
Electrical tape & wire cutter= Already had.

Time= 1hr, including finally meeting my Neighbor with another 06 NBP E. Tried to turn him onto the EOC, we'll see if he drops by. :030:

This was my first time doing something like this but E-Shen's original thread was soooo helpful that I felt pretty confident.

Photos!

Here is a basic pic of the driverside headlight turn signal wires connected.
SideBlink1.jpg

Here is everything wrapped up tight. I also wrapped each 1.5' connecting wires in electrical tape since I threaded it through two holes. I chose those holes because they were easy to get to and visible to check up on, and show off my work. Alas, those holes aren't visible in these photos.
SideBlink2.jpg

1 - 20 of 257 Posts