Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Planning to (pay a professional) install an amp to drive the oem sub. Not too sure about the dual coil thing, but from what I can find, it looks like running 4ohm 2 channels from a mono signal combined from the stereo sub outs? 100-200 watts? Maybe a capacitor.

Looking for advice and recommendations on a sub that will fit under the front passenger seat.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
if i remember from my 04 SOP it is a dual 4 ohm set up. meaniong you will need a mono amp that is capable of running 2oms to 1 channel. the benefit of getting a mono amp rather than a 2 channel is the efficency, class d mono amps are 80% efficent where class a/b stereo and 4ch amps are only 50% efficent. this means that the mono class d sub amp will be much smaller than the similarly powered 2 channel clas a/b amp. i really wouldnt worry too much about getting one that is alot of power or even a really nice one if all it is gonna power is the factory sub. it is pretty efficent and i would try to get one that fits in the factory spot in the passenger kickpanel, IE small. unless you are putting a better sub in the enclosure like a kicker or infinity or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finding one to fit in the factory location would be excellent. Haven't had a chance to pull off the kick panel, but this is the smallest amp I've found so far:
Kenwood KAC-6104D at 7-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-1/16"D

after some searching, I found a thread with the dimensions for the stock amp "Maybe 4 inches by 5 inches by 1 1/2 inches".

if the kenwood won't fit behind the kick panel, was going to start researching motorcycle or boat amps next...or maybe just go all in on a multichannel to run the whole system and mount it to the underside of a back seat (I know, I know, its just not my first choice). Upgrading the sub is a real possibility in the future, depending on how good I can get the stock unit sounding. I use the system to review music for, and recordings of my dj mixes...so show quality gear would be fun, but not required.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i dont know if that will work based on size but it may. something like this would surely fit, but im not sure it would be enough power, even for the stock sub, but it might be. it has a low pass filter and stuff too so for 29 bucks it might be worth a shot.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=4593

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah...that's worth a shot. Thanks for the link. I should have a write up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
All the Alpine PDX amps fit easily under the front passenger seat. They are all the same size physically. (I have the PDX-5 running my whole system and have been very happy with it).

Since the OEM sub is 4-ohm DVC, you could also simply run both channels of a stereo amp to each voice coil, as long as it's a mono signal on both channels. That would keep the amp running at 4 ohms, which would let it run cooler compared to bridging it and running at 2 ohms.

Also, if you are just powering your OEM sub, you shouldn't need a capacitor either. Of course it wouldn't hurt, but the maximum power you'll be limited to feeding that sub really won't require a cap.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know if that will work based on size but it may. something like this would surely fit, but im not sure it would be enough power, even for the stock sub, but it might be. it has a low pass filter and stuff too so for 29 bucks it might be worth a shot.

had this amp installed today with a stock sub &c. from an ex. actually sounds pretty good. split mono 2 channels in, one output channel to each coil.

thanks for the help.

Amos

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sure hard to argue with giving this a try for that kind of price! Think I'll order it just to keep ready when I have a few minutes to install.

Looking for some input here (and a bit of threadjacking possibly?): If I were to run this amp listed for the stock sub and install amped Infinity 6022i's at all 4 corners...Am I thinking correctly that this will be a pretty well balanced upgrade? Just looking to boost the general capacity of the system where I'm not asking so much of it with windows down on the highway kind of scenario.
And what's the latest concensus on best value amp for the four 6022i setup these days?

Thanks A4x4 and Yoda for sharing the experience and info on this.

Mods: I'll start a different thread if needed on this...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
the amp you have from honda is probably just as good as the one he ordered. he only needed it because the lx didnt have the sub or the amp stock and he got it "previously enjoyed" and needed something to power it. i love my 700.5 kicker amp as it is just a much bigger version of what is in the E (5 channel all in one amp) but as far as needing a 5 channel for the infinitys and the stock sub it is kinda overkill. the stock sub will run fine off the stock amp and you could just get a 4 channel for the 6022's

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
the amp you have from honda is probably just as good as the one he ordered. he only needed it because the lx didnt have the sub or the amp stock and he got it "previously enjoyed" and needed something to power it. i love my 700.5 kicker amp as it is just a much bigger version of what is in the E (5 channel all in one amp) but as far as needing a 5 channel for the infinitys and the stock sub it is kinda overkill. the stock sub will run fine off the stock amp and you could just get a 4 channel for the 6022's
Shame on me for not picking up on the LX aspect there. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

i got this amp today... i want to make sure i have the connections right.. do i t -tap out of the speaker outputs into the "high" input? then one output to each coil on the sub? i'm using the stock head right now.... not sure what the orange wire off the power harness goes to. i haven't installed a system in like 10 years. i'm rusty

·
Registered
428 Posts
I installed this amp to stock EX sub in my LX.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-176

I t-tapped L and R speaker to amp and connected amp to sub as a DVC.

Using an Eclipse CD1200 headunit.

Happy with the results.

Not sure what the orange wire is for, but on my deck the orange/white wire said for illumination

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I installed this amp to stock EX sub in my LX.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-176

I t-tapped L and R speaker to amp and connected amp to sub as a DVC.

Using an Eclipse CD1200 headunit.

Happy with the results.

Not sure what the orange wire is for, but on my deck the orange/white wire said for illumination
i think its the switch to turn the amp on... you connected it to that orange/white line?

i have yet to see the actual sub... hopefully in a few days

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
. not sure what the orange wire off the power harness goes to. i haven't installed a system in like 10 years. i'm rusty
The orange wire on this amp looks to be remote turn on, and the red should be your constant 12 volts, black ground.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The orange wire on this amp looks to be remote turn on, and the red should be your constant 12 volts, black ground.
that's what i figured... if i'm using the stock LX radio what would i hook this up to?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts