Honda Element Owners Club banner

241 - 260 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know what you're thinking..."There's a million threads here about batteries; USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!"
I've probably read through all of them and now I'm more confused than ever.
Do I go with a group 51, 56, 34, 35? Sheeesh....so many opinions!
I'd rather not have to do to any modifying but I'm willing if the increased performance is measurable. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks!
THe time has come for a new battery; is there a general consensus on the best group type for a replacement battery?

·
Registered
685 Posts
THe time has come for a new battery; is there a general consensus on the best group type for a replacement battery?

"Best" means different things to different people.

If you want the most stock looking and fitting battery, stick with the stock size, 51R.

If you want the longest reserve capacity, it's just a matter of spending the time to squeeze something huge in.

I imagine though, that you're looking for something in between: relatively easy install, better CCA performance when starting, and longer reserve. The most common easy install appears to be the Group 56 sized battery. From there, the common installs are the Group 34R and then Group 31 (in the order of increasing install complexity (and upgradeness): 51R -> 56 -> 34R -> 31)

Here's the (massive) thread: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50371

Direct links to an install: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=703821&postcount=71
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=703821&postcount=72

Be sure to leave the bottom plastic tray in place.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
FYI, my DieHard Adv. Gold died at about 1.5yrs. I thought I just drained it by accident, but I tried to jump the car and it wouldn't start. I took it by Sears, they charged for about an hour and then tested, and said it was bad. They gave me ZERO trouble with the warranty and handed me a brand new one for free. I didn't even need the receipt because they had the purchase on file, even though it was not the original purchase location (a different sears).

The replacement is brand new. However, the warranty does not restart for the new one. It only continues the old warranty.

I'm still happy with the battery, but I would suggest getting your old one tested just prior to the 3-year (gold) or 4-year (plat.) warranty expires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been lurking in this thread for some time and wanted to say that, thanks to your input, I upgraded my E's battery without a hitch.

I live in northern Canada where it's colder than a household freezer and opted for an 800 CCA group 34 battery. I initially set out to buy the Sears model in this thread, but Sears Canada doesn't carry the DieHard line. My final choice landed me where I never thought I'd purchase a car battery --> Walmart. The price for their EverStart Maxx 34N (North) model, coupled with the fact it's manufactured by Johnson Controls, is what sealed the deal. It comes with 3 years free replacement warranty and 3 years emergency roadside assistance which, considering where I live, they better pray I never need to use :-D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just purchased a Duralast 24F DLG battery at autozone. Make sure you get the (F) version because the battery cables fit right. If you haven't put in a slightly larger battery before you might need a battery hold down. Autozone installed it for me in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These coupon codes are not working!

I just purchased an Optima Battery at Advance Auto Parts.
It took $40 off $100 purchase. if you dont want follow this link the
coupon code is CCABIN
couponsmonk.us/coupon/advanceautoparts.com/
couponcabin.com/popup/offer/462310/
Any other live coupon code? I am also looking to buy Optima Battery but the offers listed above are expired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its 2016-Aug and I have a honda element 2006. what is the best battery for my car? I'm ok with modding it to make it larger. I see that many people are choosing the 34N size?

Also sears doesn't seem like they carry the P4 model anymore.

Anyone have pics of the install for a 2006?

Also how long does a 34 vs 5X last for in comparison?

Is amazon a good place to buy? I only see the optima ones, and I'm not sure if one gets the red or yellow top? Also do i need agm battery?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Box0502, are you saying there aren't enough answers in this thread?
no im saying im a bit confused on what to get because there are so many answers. most of the links that people have put up are gone since some of these threads go back a few years.

Does anyone have links to the items i would need to buy? say for 24f or 35R? where do i get the accessories?

do i get this one? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/optima-batteries-yellowtop-dual-purpose-battery-group-34-78-750-cca-d34-78-950/16210015-P?searchTerm=optima+batteries

or should i just get a diehard gold? http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-34r/p-02850733000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

are those the correct ones

·
Registered
12 Posts
The D31A "yellow top" does indeed fit--barely! The negative cable was still tight. I later added a shutoff switch on the neg. post, which relieved the strain.

You can save the Honda battery to run ... a Game Boy!

Thanks, MikeQBF, for the find.

this post is from 2004, it looks like the battery looks different from the product pages or is it still the same here?

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8051-160-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B00099VM9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472572010&sr=8-1&keywords=D31A

its 2016, so things might have changed after 12 years.

what else needs to be done to make this d31 fit?

also it seems to cost 200+ alot more than other typical batteries. what are the advantages?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I've watched this thread come and go and can't help but wonder;
are you having problems with the stock size battery?
do you live way up north and see very low temperatures at night?
perhaps you have extra accessories putting a draw on the battery,
then by-all-means look for something bigger, but if you're just getting caught up in all, why?
I replaced the stock size with the same from walmart and it's been working fine for me.
reminds me of the "what's the biggest tire I can put on" topic.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've watched this thread come and go and can't help but wonder;
are you having problems with the stock size battery?
do you live way up north and see very low temperatures at night?
perhaps you have extra accessories putting a draw on the battery,
then by-all-means look for something bigger, but if you're just getting caught up in all, why?
I replaced the stock size with the same from walmart and it's been working fine for me.
reminds me of the "what's the biggest tire I can put on" topic.
Where's the LIKE button?

I totally agree.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
How about running a CPAP machine for three nights in a campground with no electricity? Or living where subzero temperatures are the norm in the wintertime?

The first month I had the Element, I left my headlights on for a couple of hours while I had dinner, and when I came out I needed a jump-start. That's why I bought my first Optima. When it finally crapped out eight years later, there was no question of replacing it with the same thing.

Anyway, this thread has lots of recommendations for people who find the stock battery intolerably feeble. Others can rejoice that they don't need better. There's nothing more useless than an "I don't have that problem" post.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The first month I had the Element, I left my headlights on for a couple of hours while I had dinner, and when I came out I needed a jump-start. That's why I bought my first Optima. When it finally crapped out eight years later, there was no question of replacing it with the same thing.

Anyway, this thread has lots of recommendations for people who find the stock battery intolerably feeble. Others can rejoice that they don't need better. There's nothing more useless than an "I don't have that problem" post.
So you can run your headlights for 3 hours and not need a jump start now?

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Which one do I buy from amazon for D31A? There seems to be different model numbers: 150 and 151 -- https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=d31a

Would it be wise to buy it from amazon or at my local car shop?

what other accessories do I need to buy from amazon? Which battery tray would I need from here? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=car+battery++tray&rh=i:aps,k:car+battery++tray
With all the questions you have, you would be wise to go to the "local car shop" and have them install the battery you want.

241 - 260 of 308 Posts