Honda Element Owners Club banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
There's nothing more useless than an "I don't have that problem" post.
Whoa Dan! If it wasn't for those posts a newbie would read this and think that everyone is having problems with their Element battery and that is definitely not the case.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Actually I don't agree with your logic. People are always posting about problems that only a small number of owners have, and those people deserve help with solving them.

But let's please get back to topic. Those who want to upgrade their batteries can find info here. Those who don't, also don't need to read the thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok i went with the D31A 8051 yellow top. 50 and 51 is threaded bolts or the SAE ones from my research.

How long will this last if i don't have my engine on and have my radio and lights on?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
FYI, my DieHard Adv. Gold died at about 1.5yrs. I thought I just drained it by accident, but I tried to jump the car and it wouldn't start. I took it by Sears, they charged for about an hour and then tested, and said it was bad. They gave me ZERO trouble with the warranty and handed me a brand new one for free. I didn't even need the receipt because they had the purchase on file, even though it was not the original purchase location (a different sears).

The replacement is brand new. However, the warranty does not restart for the new one. It only continues the old warranty.

I'm still happy with the battery, but I would suggest getting your old one tested just prior to the 3-year (gold) or 4-year (plat.) warranty expires.
Well, I killed another DH Adv Gold. Under 3 years this time, but was already a replacement so the original warranty was 4.5 years old (expired at 3). The car was not being driven due to a needed repair the last few weeks. Just popping in and out of my garage. Suddenly wouldn't start. Sears tested and it came back as uncharged AND bad.

I decided to buy the Platinum this time to replace it (4yr) but they said they discontinued it.

I guess I will go Gold again, and get it checked before 3 years again. If it happens a 3rd time, I will give up on these.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Well, SEARS has an online-only Die Hard battery sale right now, so I let them sucker me in again:

Die Hard Gold AGM EP-34R (link)
Retail: $178.99
Sale: $143.19 (-20%)
SYW Discount: $128.19 (-$15) *Sears Shop Your Way loyalty offer **cannot stack with discount codes
With Tax: =$138.12 (+$9.93)

Paid with:
Sears Gift Cards: $13.12 (-$125)
Credit Card: $0 (-$13.12)

Bonus:
SEARS Gift Cards bonus via Swagbucks: $3.75 (3% of $125)
Credit Card Rewards via Paypal: $1.31 (1% of $13.12)
Total Bonus Rewards: $5.06 ($3.75 + $1.31)

Total
Grand Total: $133.06 ($138.12 - $5.06)

I think I got the best possible deal :razz::razz::razz:
With all that, I actually beat my last purchase price of $163, lol

If you don't have Shop Your Way (Sears loyalty), it's free to sign up (make login account, etc.). Points offered vary by person. I haven't been there in YEARS and they still gave me $15 off.
http://www.sears.com

If you don't have Paypal yet, they have a free $5 referral bonus right now if you click this link. Then I like to use the FREE Paypal Debit Card that draws from your Paypal balance but processes as credit (and gives 1% back):
https://www.paypal.com/us/invite?token=uOy0NgJfLN0

If you don't have Swagbucks yet, they have a free $5 referral bonus right now if you click this link. Swagbucks rewards you with $ back if you click through them to stores like Sears, Amazon, etc. or MyGiftCardsPlus, where I got 3% back on Sears gift cards today (delivered digitally).
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=19151517

·
Registered
447 Posts
that battery looks exactly like the DEKA which I bet it is. That's a good price and blows away the Optima which is a piece of junk.

The platinum battery that they used to carry was the Odyssey which is the best AGM out there. Deka is a close second.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
that battery looks exactly like the DEKA which I bet it is. That's a good price and blows away the Optima which is a piece of junk.

The platinum battery that they used to carry was the Odyssey which is the best AGM out there. Deka is a close second.
Google says you are right about the DEKA. Is the Odyssey still made?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
the Optima ... is a piece of junk.
Citation, please.

My first Optima lasted eight years and failed in the standard way, i.e., wouldn't hold a charge for very long—not an open-circuit failure. The Optima that replaced it is now 4.5 years old and working perfectly.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Citation, please.

My first Optima lasted eight years and failed in the standard way, i.e., wouldn't hold a charge for very long—not an open-circuit failure. The Optima that replaced it is now 4.5 years old and working perfectly.
The US plant that made them closed in 2009 after Johnson controls bought Optima so if you bought your first one before then, you bought the US made one. They are all made in Mexico now.

Their quality died fast after that. On a boating site I am on, the number of Optima failures for the Mexico made Optimas is well noted. I have friends where i used to work at an auto electronics design company. They got tired of the Optima failures and moved to Odyssey. They can't tolerate battery failures like they were having. All after the Mexico move.

The question is, buying a product where the rate of failure jumps from a small percentage of let's say 3% to double digits. Is that a reason to maybe not buy that product anymore? Maybe 85% of them are good but the chance of getting a bad one just jumped by a factor of 5. Personally, I won't buy it anymore and I used to!

Glad you got a good one. Many haven't.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The Odyssey is still made. They just don't make it for Sears anymore. You can also buy an AGM at Napa that is also a Deka.
Would you mind posting a link to the Odyssey one? I did a search but it wasn't too clear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The highs have been around 0 F or below for the last few days here in MN. My 2008 Element is barely starting after sitting in the parking lot at work all day. It was the same thing last winter. I just pulled the dinky stock size battery out of it. I never realized it was that small. I’m going to be putting in a type 24 tomorrow after reading parts of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
The highs have been around 0 F or below for the last few days here in MN. My 2008 Element is barely starting after sitting in the parking lot at work all day. It was the same thing last winter. I just pulled the dinky stock size battery out of it. I never realized it was that small. I’m going to be putting in a type 24 tomorrow after reading parts of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Install complete! Before and after pics. Now my Element is Minnesota winter ready.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

261 - 280 of 307 Posts