Honda Element Owners Club banner

281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Looking good. I did the 24F install with a Costco battery in December 2013, still going strong after 4 years. The Element is parked on the street and rarely driven, she started just fine a few days ago after sitting for 3 weeks and it was about 10 degrees out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just dropped in a size 35 Autocraft Gold 800/640 CCA from Advance. Order online using discount code NYBBX for 25% discount and pickup at the store. No problem using the old group 51 battery for core deposit. Bent the tabs out a bit with a screwdriver and fit like a glove. spent more time cutting off the universal tie down bolts, but the hoof would have cleared them anyhow.

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD Omni Blue
316 Posts
Last week I took my 06 into the local Honda dealership and had a routine oil change and inquired about a larger battery and was told Honda recommends against it because it puts undo stress on the alternator causing early failure.

Not believing this a few days later I went down and talked with my trusted Honda mechanic and told him what the dealership said and he just rolled his eyes and said 12 volts is 12 volts.

I have had many vehicles and have never jumped them as much as I have jumped my two Elements. But then again my other vehicles were not a rolling boom box and I did not spend as much time playing with them as I do my Elements.

So I will take my trusted mechanics advise and put in any 12 volt battery I choose. This thread has been a big help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Last week I took my 06 into the local Honda dealership and had a routine oil change and inquired about a larger battery and was told Honda recommends against it because it puts undo stress on the alternator causing early failure.

Not believing this a few days later I went down and talked with my trusted Honda mechanic and told him what the dealership said and he just rolled his eyes and said 12 volts is 12 volts.

I have had many vehicles and have never jumped them as much as I have jumped my two Elements. But then again my other vehicles were not a rolling boom box and I did not spend as much time playing with them as I do my Elements.

So I will take my trusted mechanics advise and put in any 12 volt battery I choose. This thread has been a big help.

interested in how its turned out for you after all these months.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
FYI, my DieHard Adv. Gold died at about 1.5yrs. I thought I just drained it by accident, but I tried to jump the car and it wouldn't start. I took it by Sears, they charged for about an hour and then tested, and said it was bad. They gave me ZERO trouble with the warranty and handed me a brand new one for free. I didn't even need the receipt because they had the purchase on file, even though it was not the original purchase location (a different sears).

The replacement is brand new. However, the warranty does not restart for the new one. It only continues the old warranty.
Well, I killed another DH Adv Gold. Under 3 years this time, but was already a replacement so the original warranty was 4.5 years old (expired at 3). The car was not being driven due to a needed repair the last few weeks. Just popping in and out of my garage. Suddenly wouldn't start. Sears tested and it came back as uncharged AND bad.
Well, I killed another one, under warranty again. Just last month. I honestly think I've killed FOUR(or more?) now. Each time they test one, it comes back with a "well, that's unusual" error. Next non-warranty death, I will be getting a different one.

Odyssey maybe? Anybody else find a new primo one?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Group 24 FX, what does X mean?

Looking to upgrade to a Group 24F battery, and found an Exide Brand Group 24FX with the correct terminal configuration. Not sure what the X designates? I assume "X-tra" power, and don't care, as long as the dimensions aren't different than a regular Group 24F.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Replaced my old battery, and it surprised me!

Finally got around to upgrading my old battery to a 24F last night. Old one was working perfectly fine, but I was worried about it, since I couldn't remember when I last replaced it, and am getting ready to leave it parked at a NYC airport for over two weeks.

Pulled out my puny 51R and saw it was manufactured in April 2010 and installed in May 2010. In all that time, she never let me down once in the NE winters and summers.

I almost hate to turn the old girl in as a core, lol! Nice job Exide!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's my bigger battery install. I went with the 24F because why not get one of the biggest batteries and the price was right at Costco for about $85 or so I think.

As suggested I went with the following items below. All of the items I bought from AutoZone with the exception of the J-Hooks I had to buy from O'Reilly Auto Parts since AutoZone didn't have 10" ones there.

I had to bend back the ears, used a screwdriver as shown in the pictures. For the plastic battery tray, I cut a hole for the J-Hook to tie down the battery.

Overall it's an easy install and worth having this size of a battery in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Larger battery?

Has anyone installed a battery that's larger than the factory one? Anything nicer/non lead?

I have the Ecamper conversion and I think the draw on the starting battery from the lights and other possible accesories may have killed it prematurely?

More importantly what are other folks with the E campers doing for power and such? Solar is the ultimate goal, so was thinking a single system of a panel that could charge the starting battery and also power small items wouldn't be bad?

·
Registered
622 Posts
no ecamper here but i do a lot of camping. keeping the rear lift gate open will hurt the battery. any door actually. go led interior lights. bunch of options in the above link for bigger battery. i went 2nd battery myself. both of them in the engine bay. oem battery for starting only and group24 for aux power. solar charges the group24. as long as the sun shines, i can always jump myself if i need to.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
I also posted in the link above, and YES!! a bigger battery fits!! I went with a Diehard Platinum and couldn't be happier!! No more leaving the dome light on before work and coming out to a dead battery....:-(
No real modification required, just a little bending of the battery hold downs and a longer hold down that goes across the top of the battery. Been runnin' strong for, let's see, 4+ years now!! Yea, the Platinum is a bit spendy, but, IMHO, well worth the price.... :razz: :razz:

·
Registered
18 Posts
no ecamper here but i do a lot of camping. keeping the rear lift gate open will hurt the battery. any door actually. go led interior lights. bunch of options in the above link for bigger battery. i went 2nd battery myself. both of them in the engine bay. oem battery for starting only and group24 for aux power. solar charges the group24. as long as the sun shines, i can always jump myself if i need to.
LED's are definitely on the list.

Would be interested to see how you managed to fit both batteries in the engine bay and what your solar panel and controller setup looks like. Sounds like a perfect setup.

The thread above is great, but pretty outdated when it comes to an actual list of what folks are using. Seems like a lot of folks using AGM batteries and some using just bigger group24 ones. Being so many options out there makes it a bit overwhelming to start. Also don't necessarily want the biggest option and having to get new parts, the stock tray and mounts seems like it would hold something decently bigger.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I too would love to see how someone fit a second battery in the engine compartment. I assume these would be wired with some sort of dual battery connecting setup that allows the alternator to charge/maintain both batteries but only the primary battery is used for starting and basic car use and the secondary battery is available for accessories (?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
So theres a bunch of talk about what size battery can fit (which seems to be about as big as you can cram) But there also seems to be no universal sizing number and left combination that holds true between what everyone chooses! I see a lot of 51r, 56DL, plain 34s or 35s and 24F? The R seems to indicate reversed, but what about the other letters on models?

EDIT: http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm this gives a great rundown of what the numbers and letters mean, but they seem to be wrong given peoples mixing of the the L & R models.
For instance Raveboys battery above is a 24F which should be a right hand positive terminal, but instead its shows to be on the left. Unless folks are just posting the wrong model numbers?

In the search for different batteries, on amazon, and autopart stores online, the group 56's seem non existent, and the others vary a ton between manufactures as to what model numbers mean and are available per given battery.

That entirely aside, what is the consensus on what batteries actually WORK the best for acting as a Starting and House battery while running 12v ascs with the car off.
AGM's seem to be the new deep cycle standard vs standard lead batteries and the best starting point?

·
Registered
622 Posts
LED's are definitely on the list.

Would be interested to see how you managed to fit both batteries in the engine bay and what your solar panel and controller setup looks like. Sounds like a perfect setup.

The thread above is great, but pretty outdated when it comes to an actual list of what folks are using. Seems like a lot of folks using AGM batteries and some using just bigger group24 ones. Being so many options out there makes it a bit overwhelming to start. Also don't necessarily want the biggest option and having to get new parts, the stock tray and mounts seems like it would hold something decently bigger.

Thanks for all the info everyone!
i put the smaller oem battery under the original battery spot. in the original battery spot i put the group24. i fabricated some brackets myself to make it work but it wasn't too difficult. pop the hood and look at your battery then look under it, there will be a cavity just barely large enough to fit the oem battery. i made some roof rack brackets for my 24volt solar panel. very low profile. i think it's like 200+ watts. routed the wires under the driverside roof cladding to the engine bay and thru existing holes back into the cabin. i put my controller stuffed into the area under the glove box. the controller is the kid from midnite solar. all this stuff was from my truck camper build from like 6 years ago. i dont know what's good nowadays but i got the best back then. my setup works good for what i power which is mainly a 12volt fridge. i could of gotten by with less solar but it's what i had on hand so i used it. group24 is the smallest for a small 12volt fridge. or 75-100 amp hours.

the agm thing. a lot of people like agm cuz they put the house battery in the cabin. agms are supposed to not release gas when charging is what they say. others say it has a one way valve so it can release gas when overcharging. i don't risk it. if you offroad like i did in my yota then agm would make sense because a flooded battery will leak acid doing some real rock crawling. agms are dry.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I too would love to see how someone fit a second battery in the engine compartment. I assume these would be wired with some sort of dual battery connecting setup that allows the alternator to charge/maintain both batteries but only the primary battery is used for starting and basic car use and the secondary battery is available for accessories (?)
yeah, you can do the solenoid thing to connect both batteries but i didn't. i just kept them separate. solar charge controller for the aux battery. alternator for the starting battery. i did buy some large anderson connectors to connect batteries together if i need to jump myself. sometimes i dont move my car for a month so i can connect the anderson connector to charge the starter battery in those situations. or if i run into a month straight of cloud and rain, i just connect the anderson connector and the alternator can charge the aux battery when i drive. not automatic like the solenoid but i get more control over my system.

281 - 300 of 308 Posts