Honda Element Owners Club banner

301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced my battery during the summer with a Costco-Kirkland 51R but as soon as winter came, any day that fell below -20 C...I couldn't start my Element. It would crank but not fire. I returned the battery thinking it was faulty and reinstall the new 51R. As soon as the temp dropped below -20 C, same thing, it wouldn't start. Obviously the Kirkland batteries are not designed for Canadian winters so I returned it then went to Walmart and got a MAXX EverStart 35N (the "N" meaning North or Colder Climates).

All I needed to do to install it was remove the plastic tray, bend out the metal flaps that hold the "J" hooks, and bend one of the "J" hooks near the top where the threads are and bolt it in. It's in there snug and won't be going anywhere.

Now I've had a few -40 and lower days and it fires up like a charm. So upgrading the battery is a great idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finally did this using OEM Honda parts following this video. No cutting. I had to bend 1 tab. I used a 1/2" x 6 1/8" x 9" piece of wood to lay flat on the metal battery tray. Drilled 2 holes for the new battery box tabs to fit into.

31512-SDB-A01 Plate, Battery Setting (70D)
31521-SDB-A00 Box, Battery (70D)
31513-T2A-A00 Bolt, Battery Setting (235MM) x 2
94050-06080 Nut, Flange (6MM) x 2
Costco group 35 battery

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I think I am going to go with a 24F Interstate from Costco soon.

Here's the question:
24F Standard or 24F AGM?
Ignoring price, what are my pros and cons of one or the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
24F Standard or 24F AGM?
Ignoring price, what are my pros and cons of one or the other?
@Legioss Cycle life, mounting options (no spillover like lead acid), and storage longevity are the biggest advantages in my mind. You'll get higher heat resistance as well.

They are obviously more expensive, and the total lifetime is a bit less in average climates. Probably not appreciably, though, and if you live in an extremely hot/cold climate that normally nukes lead acid batteries, its resilience to that might offset or increase the lifespan of it.

If you're going to spend the money to jump up in battery size, I'd say go ahead and go AGM and get the benefits from it.

301 - 307 of 307 Posts