Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Element community,
This concerns my 2004 EX FWD Element non painted fenders for 2004. I had a very small fender bender this morning (no one was hurt and not my fault). I am having a slight concern about reporting the very small amount of damage that my element got. It is mainly the front passenger rim that got scuffed up along with very small blemish to the front passenger fender that honestly seems like not that big of a deal. My nerf bars and the plastic fenders I think saved me from a lot more damage. My concern is that I read a lot where the smallest amount of damage to the elements these days they are totaling them out, and then you buy it back and have a salvage title which kills the value. Just wanted you guys thought on should I just live with it or claim it and hope for the best. I would hate for the car to get totaled out for the smallest damage. What are you all thoughts?

Attachments

· Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
2,037 Posts
You are right to be concerned about insurance people doing crazy things.

Do you have a deductible?

You can probably re-align the fender and bumper cover with a minimum of hassle. And who knows, you may be able to remove the worst of the scuffs on the wheel with some polishing compound. Around here aluminum wheels go for about $50 in a u pull it yard. So.....

Yeah, if it were mine, I would let it ride and fix it myself as best as I could.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right to be concerned about insurance people doing crazy things.

Do you have a deductible?

You can probably re-align the fender and bumper cover with a minimum of hassle. And who knows, you may be able to remove the worst of the scuffs on the wheel with some polishing compound. Around here aluminum wheels go for about $50 in a u pull it yard. So.....

Yeah, if it were mine, I would let it ride and fix it myself as best as I could.
[/QUO
It was the other persons fault so I am not concerned about the deductible, I am really only concerned about the insurance company doing something crazy like total it for really very minor damage. I feel I could get the rub marks on the rim off but the scuffs are not repairable by me. Thanks for the opinion. Would love to hear others.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
You can go to a bodyshop on your own and get them to give you an estimate on Mitchell or ADP estimating software and they will be able to tell you if the cost is approaching the limit of totalling the car

· Registered
No Element yet
25 Posts
For it to be totaled, the cost of the damage would have to be about 70% of the total value of the car, I don't think this would total it. But if it did, the insurance company would have to provide enough compensation to replace your element with an equal element (Full market value).

In other words, you would be selling it to the insurance company for full market value, which is kind of a lot these days, and then buying a known, good element (yours) for cheap. And if you did decide to sell it at some point in the future, with a salvage title, you would still probably get more than the buy back price you paid. Any way you shake it, you come out ahead.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2010 Element EX and I backed into another vehicle last month. The other car sustained much more damage than my Element. I thought that the back bumper could just be pushed out (looks like a big dimple in the corner of the bumper) but I was told I need to get a new bumper. The total amount to fix my Element was $1750 and I have scheduled to get it fixed next month. Since I was at fault my insurance is paying for mine to be repaired (minus $200 deductible) and $4,800 for the car that I hit (incidentally it was my boyfriend's car and I forgot he was parked in my driveway and I backed into it the day after the daylight savings time change). I have not had an insurance claim in over 25 years and I feel that it is worth it to just get it all taken care of even if my insurance goes up some. That is what insurance is for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts