Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been poring rain out in jacksonville lately and ii've noticed that there is alittle leak around the insulation of the left side rear pass. window. its really weird cause the build up of water is on the bottom inside area of that window. does anyone out there have that similar problem. i don't know maybe its just me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:( Both of my rear passenger windows leaked slightly today after heavy rain all night in Connecticut. Sunroof OK. I will be bringing it back to the dealer for repair and will post the results :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have this leak too - the seals at the bottom of both 'pop-out' windows were wet after driving in heavy rain. I wiped off the seals in case there was something stuck in there (there wasn't) but the windows don't seem to sit tightly against the seals. Not a bad leak, but if it recurrs the car goes back to the dealer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I washed the car down and used a fairly high pressure hose on it and the leak didn't recurr. Maybe the windows hadn't been seated securly somehow when I picked up the E... or maybe this is an intermittent problem. Alternatively, perhaps it's a leak through the lower edge of the windows - I didn't run the hose upwards for any length of time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have water leaking in at flip windows but I do seem to have water getting in a catch/latch point on passenger side. Last Sunday I thought maybe I left passenger window down a little bit because I went out later in day and found water on passenger-side seat. I went out this morning (windows closed) and I found a small amount of water on seat but more concerning was that I saw water inbetween the plastic trim on rear-passenger suicide-door. There is a small space inbetween the two different colored trims right where the b-pillar beam that gets locked is located. So the water unfortunately is probably going all the way down the door. :cry:

I'm bringing in to service today and will report the results. If you look at the rubber on rear door you'll see one spot where there seems to be a 4" block of metal that doesn't allow the rubber to create a good seal; I think this is going to be where the problem will be found. If so, Honda is going to have to revisit the seals around the doors.

I park on a small incline and the water is drifting forward from back. I like to hear from anyone that might have this same problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a follow up reply to my last post. My Honda dealership called me to report that in fact there is a problem in the area that I stated. (While I wish there was NO problem, I'm so glad that it leaked while at dealership to prove that there was something wrong.) Anyway, they had a service person working on it all morning, and was in contact with Honda. My dealership said that a design engineer on the Element from CA even called them to discuss this. The engineer asked my dealership to take some digital pictures and send them to CA! I guess there is either a redesigned molding or rubber that is being sent and replaced (or created and then sent?) Maybe I'll be written up in Honda as flaw #236.

Do I still love this vehicle? oh yea baby! :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
After reasonable attempts to solve my rear window leaks, my dealer and American Honda have informed me that a Honda engineering will issue a (recall?) bulletin :D for replacing the seals on both of the rear door windows. All members should carefully check the inside bottom edge between the glass and rubber molding of their rear door windows for water. If you look closely, you will most likely see water between the rubber and the glass. It is a safe bet that all of the windows leak to a degree, since the latch mechanism is not able to supply enough pressure to stop water coming in from someplace higher on the window. I assume the new rubber moulding will be thicker. Also the pressure created inside your Element when you close your last door might also cause the window to push outward for a split second just enough to leak. The damn window molding is a water collector by design anyway. :idea: I hope they have enough sense to make the molding large enough to eliminate the water pooling and drooling you often will see after you finish detailing. :idea: :roll:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since my last post I have learned the following from fellow members:

Dealer or owner pressure testing the windows and car washes are useless to test for rear door window leaks it seems in most case. It appears the pressure of a car wash or a pressure washer seems to push the window against the seal and no leak occurs. In member postings and with both of my doors, the Element's windows seem to leak for while sitting out in the rain overnight the most. This is when all owners should check their rear door window seals. In time, it is my guess that as the window seals get old and dry out, everyone will experience this at some point. I hope Honda does a recall for this design defect beyond just a bulletin. American Honda has callled me three times to tell me that their engineers are working on a redesign to correct this problem. All Element owners should call American Honda to request a recall. Leaks now or no leaks. When your seals dry and shrink of course, your warrantee has run out. The latching system is not the strongest either! I have faith that American Honda will do the right thing for us. I hope this helps. Thanks to all

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yesturday i finally got a chance to wash the car but i have also noticed that the driver side window was leaking. I checked the side windows and there was water residue between the window and the rubber seals. Do anyone know if Honda has made better rubber seals for our beloved Element?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts