Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been installing small ... accessories? mods? - whatever you want to call them over the past few weeks and wanted to share my experiences... the prices are approximate (basically what i remember).

1. Ursa Minor dead pedal (~$36)
If you've ever not known what to do with your left foot (MT drivers better shush!), this would be perfect for you... this small mod adds a proper spot to plant your leg in tight turns and brace yourself - or just relax your foot while driving:

2. eBay Stick-on Garmin GPS mount (~$5)
For the longest time, i used the window suction cup method, and in the E the windshield is just too far to comfortably interact with the GPS while driving... so i got this tiny stick on mount, and haven't looked back. Highly recommended if you use a Garmin GPS (although i'd be surprised if this wasn't made for other brands):

3. Lightinsight.com prizm window sticker (~$17)
If you ever stop at a red stop light, and find yourself bending down and awkwardly craning your neck to see when it's changing to green, then you need this - it's a little prizm sticker that shows you what's normally out of your line of sight (i.e. hidden by the roof line)

4. eBay pre-cut rubber mats for all the various cubby holes in the E (~$18)
Stops your keys/phone/mp3 player, etc. from sliding around - simple, but useful... and the pre-cut ones make installation idiotically simple :)

5. Various security features - i park on the street, and wanted to reduce the likelihood of someone messing with my car.

So i've put on wheel locks ($20) (from Amazon, but exactly the same as OEM) and the locking gas-cap (fixed to work with my door-key, so it was about $55 total with the locksmith's fee)... gives me a little peace of mind for not a lot of $$ spent! if you park in your own garage at night, you probably don't need these ;-)

Didn't take a pic of the gas cap - forgot :grin:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I consider my Lite n site to be the best addition to my E. I read about it on Ramblerdans web site and had to get one.
It is insdispensible for the tight short side street intersections with traffic lights in Toledo and Detroit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Awesome post, I'm considering all these mods, especially the foot pedal. My old car had one built in and I really miss having one, I never know where to stick my left leg it always seems out of place!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I could have used the rubber mats earlier today after doing some grocery shopping at Wal Mart. If any of the items in the back needing shaking before using, then it would have already been done before I got home. Another handy item if they make one, would be a door handle where you can open the back hatch from the inside.

Custom rubber mat. Nothing slips any more - including my dog :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
For those looking for the anti slip mats, if you have a Japanese store in your area (in the Seattle area we have Daiso, which is basically a dollar store) they sell great anti slip mats that come in fairly large sheets that can be used as is in the back, or cut to size for the areas in front.

·
Registered
113 Posts
illig, thanks for this post. A lot of great ideas here. I will have to check out the prizm window sticker.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I consider the "Both Dome Lights On" and "Side Marker Blinker" mods to be more than worth the effort as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That PRISM thing is a MUST HAVE! I am 6'3" and I am breaking my neck trying to see the lights. I am ordering one ASAP!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
The light in site is the best thing since sliced bread! If you don't have one...get one soon!!!! You won't regret it! 8)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks Dan:

I took a look at the mod on your website. Very Nice. I also like your mod to disable the seat belt beeper. I normally wear seat belts anyway but for short trips the beeper always annoys/reminds me to buckle up. The passenger side power lock switch would have come in handy many times. Is that also your AMC Page. I took my drivers test in 1977 in a 1968 Rambler American. It was a ex postal service vehicle with only 16,000 miles on it when my dad bought it in 1975.

> Another handy item if they make one, would be a door handle where you
> can open the back hatch from the inside.

How To's -- A collection of How To articles from the EOC forum > Interior Mods > Hatch release (inside)

·
Registered
641 Posts
I only drove the American for a year when my dad bought a new at the time 1978 Chevette. The Chevette cost $2800.00 out the door. I had my first date in the American. I remember that for some reason my dad had to replace a couple of flywheels on that car, and it got water on the distributor pretty easily when it rained. It was an Automatic and I remember it said "Shift Command" on the PRNDL indicator. The FM Convertrer and slide in 8 Track Player provided music for the ride.

Yep, that's my AMC site. I drove a '68 American for 16 years.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not to turn this thread into an AMC rant, but the only ones I've ever had were older Jeeps. There was a guy around here in the 80's that had an AMX that he built a 180 degree motor for. If I remember right it was a bracket racer. With open headers at the track, it would literally make you wince when he was in the high R's. Most unique sounding American motor I've ever heard.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just went to there website to order the lightinsight. There back ordered till mid august. I will order it and just wait. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes lightinsight is a brilliant addition to the E. Been using mine since Feb. and love it..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts