Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a small flat HDTV antenna that isn't amplified. I've got a 12v DTV converter box coming my way and now I need an antenna. I'm hoping to find a nice flat one that will squeeze between the headliner and roof in the E. Has anyone found anything at walmart or bestbuy that works well? My new HU has an AV input and I'd love to be able to watch the news on my way home from wherever. TIA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking for a small flat HDTV antenna that isn't amplified. I've got a 12v DTV converter box coming my way and now I need an antenna. I'm hoping to find a nice flat one that will squeeze between the headliner and roof in the E. Has anyone found anything at walmart or bestbuy that works well? My new HU has an AV input and I'd love to be able to watch the news on my way home from wherever. TIA.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10542272

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I know you said you were looking for an non amplified antenna,but here's the one that I use on the DTV convertor box in my Element.

It's a Boss Audio ANT8 Amplified Dipole TV Antenna and it works pretty good. I mounted mine at the very top of my windshield and it can't be seen unless you look really close.:cool:

Here's another one you might be interested in.
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/TVA20.aspx

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either of those would work perfect. How well does the boss get reception?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I've found that it all depends on your location,but when I get reception the picture is great.:)

Here's some pics.

^^and there's my antenna at the very top of my windshield.:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats awesome!! I'm gonna have to order that one. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question. What DTV box are u using? I've got 2 coming (both free with the gubment coupon)

Artec T3P-LL
and
Craig ...something or other.

I found the Craig first and it was free so I jumped on it. Then found the Artec T3P for free and it had really good reviews.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have two Artec T3P-LL's which I got free with coupons.:cool:
(That's the Artec remote sitting on my dash in that first pic.)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah ok cool. Where do u have it located? I'm thinking of putting it in the glove box and hooking one of my Xantec IR repeater systems to it. That or in the overhead bin.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have my DTV convertor box totally hidden,I tucked it down behind the hvac controls and shifter.I also opened up the DTV box and removed the remote eye for the remote control and soldered wires onto the circuit board/remote eye.Then I added a few feet of wire which allowed me to hide the remote eye in the very back of my center air vents.I wired my Artec to the switched 12volt wire on my head unit,so when I want to turn it on,all I have to do is push the power button on the remote. :cool:

Here's some pics.(Sorry I don't have any pics of the unit installed)

Good Luck with your install.:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn good idea with the IR eye. So do u have to redo the channel scan everytime you turn it on? I was wondering how it'd be if I just hooked it up to an always on 12v. That way it wouldn't lose its memory. I'm gonna use that location for my IR receiver. hell i might even take the thing apart like you did that's a great idea!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm ok cool. I'll prolly be hitting you up in the very near future for a quick writeup on your install. (hook what to where and so forth) Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Wow, that's very cool! I think I want to do the same with my head unit. Love the fact that the antenna is hidden.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just got this Nitro ATSC tuner:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18864_Nitro+BMW-XADT.html

It comes with an IR extension cable and eye, so installation should be a breeze.

I have a question about the antenna. It comes with a non-amplified, pretty small antenna. Would you recommend upgrading the antenna to something like the Boss antenna Eww-an E has in his post?

I've heard that no matter the antenna, ATSC is pretty much impossible to pick up while moving. Is this what you've experienced?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

It comes with an IR extension cable and eye, so installation should be a breeze.

I have a question about the antenna. It comes with a non-amplified, pretty small antenna. Would you recommend upgrading the antenna to something like the Boss antenna Eww-an E has in his post?

I've heard that no matter the antenna, ATSC is pretty much impossible to pick up while moving. Is this what you've experienced?
I would first see how well it actually performs before buying an amplified antenna. Oh and yes,picking up a signal usually doesn't really happen when moving.This is fine with me,since I only watch it when parked.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Wow that seems unusually expensive. Hope it works well for ya.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts