Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but didn't find anything conclusive.

I took my 03 element with about 82k miles a month ago to clean up a previously bad oil change. They did a new oil change for me, replacing the incorrect filter and cleaning up the bottom of the car.

For the first few weeks, everything was good. However, the last two weeks or so, I've noticed a small quarter size drip appearing on the driveway. Any possible reasons why a new leak would start appearing all of a sudden?

I'll probably bring it back to the dealer, but I want to be ready when they give me their solution.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
However, the last two weeks or so, I've noticed a small quarter size drip appearing on the driveway. Any possible reasons why a new leak would start appearing all of a sudden?
Even when being very careful changing the oil some oil will get on the side of the engine block and on the subframe. Over time this will eventually land on the ground under the car. I wouldn't worry about a "quarter size" spot.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but conjecture without eyes on is going to be conjecture, pure and simple. It can be any of a zillion things, from oil filter a little loose (no cost) or not replacing the oil plug crush washer (pennies) to valve cover gasket, to a crankshaft seal going south (major $$$). Let them tell you what they think it is when you take it in and somebody actually looks at it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
No rain here.:roll:

If the spot is just "quarter size" and hasn't gotten bigger in two weeks I simply felt that it was not worth worrying about. One drop of motor oil on a paved surface could make a "quarter size" spot. A teaspoon of oil would look like a flood.

Now, to further evaluate-

Wongm2- Has the spot dried or is it wet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well theres multiple spots...but since thursday ive noticed about 3 new spots, no bigger than about a quarter size each.

·
Registered
816 Posts
get under your car and look and feel the drain plug,,if theres oil on it chances are the crush washer is no good,,,,or start the car and turn the wheel all the way ..look inside your passenger wheel well. so you can see the oil filter and watch it for a few minutes to see if you see oil dripping from it,,,if so good chance either your filter gasket is no good or your filter is not tight enough,,or just try to tighten the filter..keep us posted

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
well theres multiple spots...but since thursday ive noticed about 3 new spots, no bigger than about a quarter size each.
Ah-ha! Multiple spots are indeed worrisome. They show that the leak is continuing. My original assumption that it was just one spot was incorrect which of course makes my suggestion above void. I now suggest you have it checked out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the car into the dealer and they just called me back with the problem. they said it was leaking from the solenoid gasket and there was something wrong my oil pressure switch as well.

they're charging me $380 which seems high, but i'm gonna bite the bullet and just have them do it.

thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts