Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EOC ! I have a question about smells. Last week after getting off work I get in the E and hit my washer trigger to clean the windshield and I smelled....something like crap. I mean it really stunk inside the cabin. I checked my shoes to make sure I didn't step in something. Not sure what was wrong. Move ahead to tonight. Again , wanting to clean my window I hit the washer and it just stunk. My sister laughed and said " did someone put dog crap in your engine "? I pulled over and wanted to see if a rat climbed up and died . It doesn't make sense. It was getting dark so I have not investigated completely. Any ideas why squirting the window cleaner on the outside windshield would permeate the inside w/ a foul odor? Seems strange and really smells bad. Any guesses or suggestions would help before taking it in to a shop. Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Smells like a Rat

It is possible that the washer fluid has been in the reservoir too long and may be turning into a science project. You could drain the tank and rinse it out with rubbing alcohol or simply add some new washer fluid and pump it out until it smells decent. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've heard that if some of the fluid leaks and burns up tha it smells bad. :?:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I wanna say that the air intake for the HVAC is in the cowl so the smell could be getting in that way even with the fan off. I also think that there was an issue with some of the window fluid honda was using although; I find it difficult to believe that you're still running honda fluid after four years.

Yeah, it's prolly a dead rat. Go git a new E. ;-)

·
Registered
874 Posts
and I thought it was my wifes feet....mine geta foul(not checken)oder when you first turn the ac,and when you turn off the ac,(with the fan already running) I changed the filters.helped a little at first.(I use the carbon filters).what ever it is it had dried on the evaporator and when the ac comes on the evaprator condensates the moisture,witch re activates the dried whatever to a now wet whatever,& walaa stink!!!! does any body know if the evaprator is axsessable so I can wa**** ? or I will just remove the filtersturn the fan on hi and spray sulfeerick acid in the ducks mouth to clean up its poop.oops there goes my fingers again,I ment alcohol where the filters go to clean the evaprator (or evaprator cleaner, but not sure I want that stuff flying around in my E) & a bucket-0-booze sounds better, I mean alchol:-D any sugestions are welcomed even if they come from under a rock. Hey everybody ,have a GREAT WEEKEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I did smell the washer fluid resevour and it smelled a little dank, nothing like what I smell in the cabin though. I need to replace the cabin air filter. I guess a thorough search for a rat if the fluid change doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I had the same problem happen on mine as it came from AZ and got cooked. I pumped out as much as I could and of all things during the refill I put in mouthwash and damn if it didn't work great. Never had the problem again.:grin:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I used that blue mint stuff and it smelled minty everytime I washed the window.:grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts