Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bic makes disposable lighters. :D

There are several aftermarket companies that used to make lighters, but with smoking getting more and more NPC (not politically correct) many places have stopped making them. Sorry.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't smoke and I don't condone smoking. However, as a past librarian, I can hardly let a "reference question" go unanswered.

Have a look at www.pepboys.com. They list cigarette lighters under "universal parts".

Iskie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thank you for all the colorful comments. fyi...
I tried an over the counter lighter and they either didn't fit or work properly. Only honda has the proper fit.

·
Registered
914 Posts
i'm guessing that Honda keeps their lighters pretty much the same on all their cars, so if i were you, i would look for places that sell racing stuff, like racing knobs and shift kits or whatever. Usually the import racing stuff. Maybe if Tommy.roks sees this you'll get a place to look. For now look here:

http://www.importscene.com.au/category13_1.htm

I think its an aussie site, but you can get the idea of the places to check for them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:7a09edfb31="GreenwoodVillage"]So no one has been able to find a cigarette lighter that will work in the Element?[/quote:7a09edfb31]

I got've a one-to-three power outlet adapter from Brookstone that has a cigarette lighter outlet. If I get a chance I will see if the cigarette lighter I have left over from my PT Cruiser will work in that.

Edit - it works like a charm. The cigarette lighter hole looks like it has some type of ceramic element (haha) inside to heat up the lighter.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
They'll burn up, if it'll fit at all...It shouldn't fit, but don't do it anyway...Totally different application. My suggestion would be to go to a junk yard, find an older Honda or Toyota with a cigarette lighter and grab that. Most newer cars aren't coming with lighters any more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:73baa71853="chetster"]found many sites with ashtrays but unable to find a lighter. Any ideas?[/quote:73baa71853]

I looked everywhere for one also. No luck. Just carry a Zippo in the change holder. The funny thing is that Honda makes the E with enough can holders to hold a six pack of beer, but no lighter. Where would we all be if the government let adults decide what is best for themselves? Oh well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really don't think it's a government regulation that cars are being built without cigarette lighters.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:f444b66b13="TheLusciousHellcat"]I really don't think it's a government regulation that cars are being built without cigarette lighters.[/quote:f444b66b13]

No, but it is government regulations that put pressure on all of us to give up what "they" (the government) deems as being unhealty for us. I am sure that Honda did not leave out lighters because they want to. They did it from pressure. I live in MA, where the government protects me by taking away my right to decide if I want a motorcyle helmet, use a seatbelt, smoke in a bar etc. The idea of a car being made so as not to accept a lighter is just another example. Sorry. Did not mean to get up on my soap box!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
My research reveals no government regulation of sort (Congress, EPA, Dept. of Transportation) that mandates that manufacturers omit cigarette lighters from cars.

I'm sorry if you feel your rights are being infringed by the growing medical, economic and social interest in the consequences of smoking, for you and everyone around you. It's not just the government interested in curbing smoking - economists will tell you it's a drag on the economy, physicians will tell you it wrecks health.

I'm not sure you have a 'right' to buy a car pre-equipped for your smoking convenience. I have a right to drink iced tea in my car, but I don't notice that cars are equipped with water reservoirs, little pots to brew tea, an ice machine, and a little cutting board so that I can have a slice of lemon. But I do get a cupholder.

Last time I checked, 7-11 is very happy to sell you matches, Bic lighters, and there are very nice Zippos available on eBay and in many stores. I have one myself for camping and candles, even though I most assuredly don't smoke.

My father smoked for 53 years. He's been dying by inches for years with emphysema and cannot be without supplemental oxygen for even one moment out of the day. I love my father a lot and his choice has meant that we all get to watch his suffering. Beyond the physical consequences to him, however, the insurance company pays huge bills for him, and those costs get passed on to Medicare, which means all of us.

JMHO. YMMV.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hellcat:

First off, I am very sorry to hear about your father. It saddens me when anyone is dying from any illness or accident.

Next: Please read my previous post before replying. I never said I had a right to buy a car with a lighter. That is a complete mis-quote. I do have a right to say that it is too bad it doesn't come with a lighter and I have a right to express my opinion about anything to do with a Honda Element, which is what this site is all about.

Final and last: No sense me discussing my rights with you. My rights are fully and completely, and simply described in the Constitution. No doctor, lawyer, or economist can alter these rights or change the Constitution to suit his or her needs, beliefs or mistaken desires.

End of conversation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"I have a right to drink iced tea in my car, but I don't notice that cars are equipped with water reservoirs, little pots to brew tea, an ice machine, and a little cutting board so that I can have a slice of lemon."

Now THAT would be cool. You could say to your dealer, "Yes, I would like the 'Iced Tea Package' installed in my E, please."

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:c5fa8ecef6="mreis171"]"
Now THAT would be cool. You could say to your dealer, "Yes, I would like the 'Iced Tea Package' installed in my E, please."[/quote:c5fa8ecef6]

The way people are so big on their frappalappadingdong mochaccino coffee drinks, I'm surprised there aren't little coffee makers and whipped cream frothers in vehicles already.

"I'll have the Starbucks Package" put in my E, please!"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Luscious, I'm there with you. My mother died 26 years ago at age 51 from diabetes, but cigs she could never give up helped ruin the heart just as much. My brother died 2 years ago from lung cancer at age 47. I'm glad Honda made it inconvient for smokers. I'm personally tired of the "world is my ashtray" attitude anyway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
how many people die alcohol related deaths? shall we make that illegal? and i was nearly killed crossing a street once; maybe we should make that illegal too? aren't you tired of the government (in all of its wisdom) telling you what is safe and what is not?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts