Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a dive had the GPS on but did not like how she was taking me
( turn left in 50 ft) pass that turn (recalculating) ...(U turn in 100 ft) Passed that one after not taking 3or4 of suggested turns the message change Turn left in 100 ft I bet you don't don't believe me Good thing I did not get the optional dope slap mode.:p

·
Registered
164 Posts
I tried a GPS that did not pronounce the street names and took it back. I bought one that pronounced the street names, much more helpful that way.

("Went for a dive" Do GPS work under water?)

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Without knowing your destination, or the local roads, it is hard to judge whether the instructions make sense or not. Given your description, I'd guess there were a number streets heading off to the left (maybe a regular grid pattern), and that you intended to go in that direction, sooner or later. You may have some knowledge about the local streets that is not included in the GPS map database. But if you know the area that well, what are you using the GPS for?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I understand what dog drool is talking about. After using one for a while, the route(s) mapped out aren't always the 'fastest' nor most 'direct'. Be it changes in the roads between the time the map was made or what ever.

I notice it more in a city / town / urban environment but for whatever reason the garmin sometimes is rather insistent that she knows best....

yea, I could slap that b---- after about the fourth or fifth 'recalculating' :roll:

However, I have found that I don't mind hearing the Australian 'Karen' say it though... :-D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, but I found the foreign voices are a bit of a pain when you are in unfamiliar territory. Hearing route numbers the way an American would speak them makes for much easier navigation.

Karen has a nice voice though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I wish someone would make one that had a button on the outside of it that was a leave me alone for 5 minutes button.
They are handy but they drive me up the wall when I turn off for gas or something else and it just keeps recalculating and telling me to turn around like the world is going to end.
I know they have power buttons and volume controls but it would be so simple just to have it keep showing the map and not lose the satellites or not have to hit the screen several times to change the volume and then have to repeat when back on course.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew where I was going just wanted to try it ,out new toy symptom
I did not want to go near the road with all the shopping malls on.
I was just surprised to hear her say "I bet you don't believe me"
I did not know they were programed with snooty remarks. After the 3rd time she said it I ducked expecting a dope slap.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys do know there are programs available that allow you to edit the 'standard' replies, right?

Here's just one for the garmin TTS voice files.

Imagine the possibilities...
Ohh can we umm borrow RD and reprogram it. I can think of many sayings:evil:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I understand what dog drool is talking about. After using one for a while, the route(s) mapped out aren't always the 'fastest' nor most 'direct'. Be it changes in the roads between the time the map was made or what ever.

I notice it more in a city / town / urban environment but for whatever reason the garmin sometimes is rather insistent that she knows best....

yea, I could slap that b---- after about the fourth or fifth 'recalculating' :roll:

However, I have found that I don't mind hearing the Australian 'Karen' say it though... :-D
I went through my Karen phase. She would say recalculating...like they all do when I'm driving :twisted: but then she'd say "there is a better way".

I've settled back with the American guy voice for now. I'm going to look into personalizing it with crafted insults. Maybe an angry Korean chick yelling at me....that would really make me feel at home.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You guys do know there are programs available that allow you to edit the 'standard' replies, right?

Here's just one for the garmin TTS voice files.

Imagine the possibilities...
Benni....you should have not shown me this program......:grin:

I think I can get pretty creative with some of these responses now. Thanks....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Turn by turn directions.

I have a Garmin Quest in my E. It counts down turns (turn right in .7 miles, .5, .2, 100 ft.) found it works pretty well. Now the software is 4 years old so a lot of new streets exist (bummer). Since I'm not the original owner, software upgrades aren't free.
Just bought a Nuvi for the GF, looks nice.
I waited too long to decide about the Honda special from H&A, but my next GPS, hopefully will have a sense of humor; as in "Hey dumbass you missed your turn again", or "If you are not going to listen to me, turn me off".
Josh

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I need a GPS that says something like, "Turn right on the next dirt road just past the rusted-out Cadillac sitting in the hay field."

I actually used the Verizon Navigator built into my phone traveling to the last national meet. It worked suprisingly well keeping up with construction and traffic conditions. The only odd thing is that it led me home on a different route than the trip up. I wish that it pointed out points of interest like, "Used cow sign ahead" or "Approaching Big Bone Lick state park." :D

·
12,178 Posts
I need a GPS that says something like, "Turn right on the next dirt road just past the rusted-out Cadillac sitting in the hay field."

I actually used the Verizon Navigator built into my phone traveling to the last national meet. It worked suprisingly well keeping up with construction and traffic conditions. The only odd thing is that it led me home on a different route than the trip up. I wish that it pointed out points of interest like, "Used cow sign ahead" or "Approaching Big Bone Lick state park." :D

I did some research for you Al...this is the closest i could come.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saying the GPS should say
D'oh missed your turn.
Dumbass missed your turn
thinking...
In Accordance with the prophecy turn left in point two miles
Thou shall turn left in 0.5 mile
Simon says turn left

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I downloaded the TTF program. If I have any luck with it I'll post the commands I used to make it talk. I'm going to try and change "recalculating" to saying "WTF". :cool:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
thank you for showing me the link, I think. We always called the old garmin lady Eunice but I didn't realize the new units had a few options out of the box and now with the software to change it up a bit more is making me anxious for Christmas when I get my new unit.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts