Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through many of the past snow tire cable/chain threads on EOC and it seems as though some people have made mention that a chain designed for a 225/70/16 tire will ALSO fit the stock tire size of 215/70/16.

I'm currently running the stock tire size, but I have an opportunity to buy the following chains at a reduced price (friend works at Sport Chalet): http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301834_1827770.do?keyword=chains&sortby=ourPicks

If you look, you'll notice that the manufacturer (Peerless) doesn't even list 215/70/16 as a size that they carry (I've also looked directly on their website as well), but they do have 225/70/16.

In doing some quick research, I popped around to some of the other snow chain/cable manufacturers and noticed that they have the same part number for both the 225/70/16 and 215/70/16 tires. I figured that a 215 tire is a hair smaller, thus the 225 chains could just be snugged down to fit the 215 tire.

Can anyone confirm my logic? Thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated by both me and my WALLET!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Do you have any experience running a 225 chain on a 215 tire? I think I may just give the manufacturer a call first thing tomorrow morning and see what they say. I just feel like the manufacturer will give me a "PC" answer along the lines of "we only recommend you running the specific chain for your tire size." In reality, if someone has successfully and SAFELY run a 225 chain on a 215 tire I would have a lot more confidence in my purchase.

·
Registered
590 Posts
every tire in the same size is different. a 225 MT(mud) tire vs a 225 AT(all terrain) vs a 225 HT (highway) are all different. the difference between a 225 and a 215 is 10mm in width and a few mm in height. your tire will almost change more in size over it's life as the tread wears and chains are adjustable to accommodate for that.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
It has been some time since I shopped for chains, but my memory is that the size latitude for link chains is wider than for cables. There's a different cable size for each tire, but a given chain size fits a range of tire sizes. I'd suggest looking up the chain manufacturer on line, and see if you can find their fitting chart. The chain's packaging might also list the allowable tire sizes.

Once you put the chains on, and tension them as instructed, they should be snug. If loose, there's more chance that links will snag on some part of the suspension. Do a test fit before you really need them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The issue I'm finding with test fitting the chains is that most of the stores here in SoCal have a no return policy on chains. I suppose I could just gamble and go with the larger 225 chains and see if I can snug them down. I suppose I could always resell them if they don't work out.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
After rereading you original post, I'd say you have done as much web search on this as anyone.

A while back I bought a set of SCC Whitestar chains (WS1614) in a size that fits both 225 and 215. I've test fitted them on my 225s, but not on 215s.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Chains...?

I thought we were only supposed to use CABLES... The owner's manual says "cables only" so I'm dying to know about this too... I know that Wally-World sells the Peerless line of chains and cables...

Got a trip up to Lake Tahoe in the next couple of weeks so I'm looking to get the cables as a back-up to my OEM Goodyear stock Wranglers...

Looking to give the "4WD" a work out...!

LBD

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Some of the chains claim to meet low clearance specs. I've used mine at low speeds.
Thanks for the head's up buddy...! They have us run around 25-mph anyways up in them thar mountains up to Tahoe...

LBD

PS: PaulJ-Where and how much did you get your SCC Whitestar chains (WS1614) for if you don't mind me askin'...? Send me a PM if you need to... Thanks in advance...!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently bought the Autosock. It worked nicely and had no clearance issues. A couple people along with CHP and Police at Mammoth Lakes, CA were enticed by them as well.

The linked site has Autosock size calculator if you'd like to see if they make one for your size.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I recently bought the Autosock. It worked nicely and had no clearance issues. A couple people along with CHP and Police at Mammoth Lakes, CA were enticed by them as well.
Did you get it online or locally?
I just checked Amazon, it indicated time to ship will be 1-2 months? :twisted:
I also called tirerack, but could not get an answer on the time to ship.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

The linked site has Autosock size calculator if you'd like to see if they make one for your size.
so the CHP and local police accept these as legal "traction devices"?
no problems getting thru CHP R1 and R2 chain control areas?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
so the CHP and local police accept these as legal "traction devices"?
no problems getting thru CHP R1 and R2 chain control areas?
From the manufacturer site: "AutoSock is not meant for severe snow conditions, and cannot be substituted for chains for travel through mountain passes."

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cables

I want to repeat the warning about cables, not chains, as the manual directs. With a plastic wheel-well liner, you sure don't want chains flopping around in there.

I use cables, which are much easier to install than chains, and which let me feel confident about going fast (well, nearly 30 mph). Seems to me the cables have enough flex to make the small change the OP wants, but I'm no expert on tire sizing. Precisely because the E has such limited clearance, I made sure to get EXACTLY the right size for my application. And I've been happy with the results.

BTW, if you expect to use your cables (or chains) more than a year or so, remember to RINSE AND DRY 'EM after every use. This and some WD40 have kept mine in good shape through five seasons of occasional use - and I remain hopeful for another five, from both my chains and my E.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
From the manufacturer site: "AutoSock is not meant for severe snow conditions, and cannot be substituted for chains for travel through mountain passes."
yes, i read that too and wondered what opinion the CHP has. since the OP mentioned the attention he received from them, i wondered if they had offered an opinion. if the only contact was during the transit of a chain control stop, i wouldn't expect there was much conversation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
my battery died so i was stuck on the side of the road when the chp and police stopped by and asked if i needed help. they both noticed the autosock and told me they read about it and were thinking of gettin some as well. i guess it's alright in some areas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts