Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and please move this if I put it in the wrong place, I am planing some cold weather trips to the mountians where there will be lots of snow. I have a 2004 ex AWD but I know in some conditions I need chains regardless. What tire do I put them on? does it matter? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
219 Posts
You are supposed to put chains on the front wheels. If you were to put them on the back, then the front wheels would slip a lot and constantly engage the AWD system.

You also should be careful about what chains you buy. I believe you are supposed to use class "S", but I'm not at all sure about that part. Basically, you should get the lower-profile cable type chains because of clearance issues in the wheel wells. Any reputable auto parts store should be able to help you choose the correct chains for the vehicle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! ya I was reading something about that in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
another noob question: any benefit to putting chains on all four wheels if it's AWD?
Not really. The RT4WD system uses a viscous center diff and a 100/0 bias so if the front wheels are not slipping zero power is sent to the rear wheels. If your front wheels are still slipping with chains on then it's probably better to get off the road or stay home where it's warm inside and the beer is cold.:)

IMO there is no substitute for a good set of snow tires, even if you only put them on the front (making sure the OD is the same as the rear tires of course).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looking for cables

Can anyone recommend another link where I can buy tire cables (not chains)? I have an 08 EX AWD. Given the fact that we just got 2 ft of snow which is pretty rare in December here, I'm thinking its going to be a rough winter. I'd like to invest in a set and would prefer cables over chains (so I can actually lift them).

Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone recommend another link where I can buy tire cables (not chains)? I have an 08 EX AWD. Given the fact that we just got 2 ft of snow which is pretty rare in December here, I'm thinking its going to be a rough winter. I'd like to invest in a set and would prefer cables over chains (so I can actually lift them).

Any suggestions or thoughts?
https://www.chainquest.com/product_details.php?prodID=103

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I went to www.tirechain.com and got some cables for about 30 bucks plus shipping. Search on the right column of the home page to find your tire size options. Only downside is they dont have a snazzy storage bag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What about all 4? Anyone done it?

Has anyone actually put them on all 4 tires? I'd love to hear from people who have and see what their experience is.

Just an update: We got 2 ft of snow in December, another 3 ft on Saturday another 1-2 ft is expected tonight into tomorrow. I feel like I'm in the midwest or something! I ended up ordered 2 pair of tire cables from tirechains.com and they should be arriving just in time today. So, I'm trying to determine if I should put them on all 4 or just the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts