Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Currently I am in the Military (Marine Corps) and will be purchasing a new auto very soon. I, like many, am in love with the Element. Hailing from Ohio, i see my share of snow. How does the element handle this. AWD model ofcourse. I have certain brand loyalty towards Honda, but I can get great discounts on Jeeps. I know Jeeps are prob. better in snow, but how does the E stack up? Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly aprreciated, and please try not to flame.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just my opinion but I don't think that jeeps do all that we in snow (Assuming city/highway) They are great off road and in major storms. But driving in winter conditions I think the AWD is your best bet. It is there when you need it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, Cafe!

Thank you for your service to our country! :D

I haven't had a chance to try driving on real snow yet, but my E has handled light sleet and heavy rains with no traction problems at all here in the frozen wasteland of Minnesota. In most vehicles that translates to decent snow and ice handling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AWD should be better for on-road snow driving than 4WD, simply because of the rapidly varying conditions of a mid-winter snow-covered road. The principle of AWD (instantly transfering power to the wheel(s) that grip and reducing power to the slipping wheels) makes it superior to 4WD (generally speaking, putting equal power to all 4 wheels, all the time) for on-road useage.
Now I know the auto world is full of exceptions and variations on the basic principle of both AWD and 4WD. But at the end of the day, as long as I was on a paved road, I would prefer Honda's car-based AWD system to any 4WD system built with the Rubicon in mind.
As long as I am on-road, because off-road, my 6 in of clearance would be just one of my concerns.
That's just my opinion, hope it helps, Cafe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.