Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has problem with significant snow cumulated in wheel well with E, specially front of rear wheel, after drive through deep fresh snow?

I used to drive Toyota 4x4 truck & Toyota 4Runner with at least 13"+ clearance until I have my E. I never had this problem with 4Runner or Toyota 4x4 truck.

Last week we take it through ~8 miles all uphill fresh overnight snow covered remote mountain road in the Bend, Oregon for hiking in Lava Cast Forest. Other than VSC turn on couple times at the last mile, there is no problem on the way to hiking trail head. I should have turn it off, but it really does not bother me too much. Power recovered quickly after I let up the gas so slightly. The road is covered with at least 10-12" fresh snow, & there is probably only couple cars went through before us after overnight snow. The weather is beautiful 40+ degree F & sunny.

The problem is on the way back. After left my E in the fresh snow near trail head for couple hours when we were hiking in the snow, take the same downhill fresh snow mountain road back to highway. As soon as speed go up above 50mph after get back on hwy, my whole car start shaking like crazy. It took me couple minutes to realize I may have snow in my wheel well. Pull over immediately, sure enough snow/ice is cumulated next to the tires in the wheel well, specially in front of rear wheel. Use a big wood stick to remove them, & back on the road w/o any problem after.

Anyone also have similar experience with E in deep snow?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
All the time. The accumulation sometimes falls off by itself, especially if the snow is mixed with road gravel or sand. You see the result all over the roads and highways in Canada in the winter. We call them "snuds" - snow and crud.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I have also had that happen. It's not just on the Element though. I have learned that a quick shot of spray wax in the wheel wells, solves the buildup issue.

Dom

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have learned that a quick shot of spray wax in the wheel wells, solves the buildup issue.
I will try that next time I go up in the mountain during winter.

I guess my old 4runner or 4x4 truck has more wheel well space, or I did not go through enough snow to let it accumulate enough to effect driving.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will try that next time I go up in the mountain during winter.

I guess my old 4runner or 4x4 truck has more wheel well space, or I did not go through enough snow to let it accumulate enough to effect driving.
The vibration is caused not by snow in the wheel well but snow that settles in the belly of the rim. Last winter I kept a thin stick in the car with me and I would use that to poke out the snow before the car cooled down.

I had the vibration issue and it flipped me out.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52471

·
Registered
229 Posts
jazzy

Anyone has problem with significant snow cumulated in wheel well with E, specially front of rear wheel, after drive through deep fresh snow?

I used to drive Toyota 4x4 truck & Toyota 4Runner with at least 13"+ clearance until I have my E. I never had this problem with 4Runner or Toyota 4x4 truck.

Last week we take it through ~8 miles all uphill fresh overnight snow covered remote mountain road in the Bend, Oregon for hiking in Lava Cast Forest. Other than VSC turn on couple times at the last mile, there is no problem on the way to hiking trail head. I should have turn it off, but it really does not bother me too much. Power recovered quickly after I let up the gas so slightly. The road is covered with at least 10-12" fresh snow, & there is probably only couple cars went through before us after overnight snow. The weather is beautiful 40+ degree F & sunny.

The problem is on the way back. After left my E in the fresh snow near trail head for couple hours when we were hiking in the snow, take the same downhill fresh snow mountain road back to highway. As soon as speed go up above 50mph after get back on hwy, my whole car start shaking like crazy. It took me couple minutes to realize I may have snow in my wheel well. Pull over immediately, sure enough snow/ice is cumulated next to the tires in the wheel well, specially in front of rear wheel. Use a big wood stick to remove them, & back on the road w/o any problem after.

Anyone also have similar experience with E in deep snow?

I myself, have come from a past history of Toyota Tacoma pickups, all of which were 4wheel drive and they were my last "4" vehicles.

I do not think you can compare the snow tracking ability of the pickup's with an Element. The Element does not have the clearance as far as the overall ground clearance or at the wheel wells. Be prepared for a change.
My Toyota's were also outfitted with a manual transmission, which also adds a dimension of safety when driving on snow or ice covered roads.

Dom.five had a really good point with the spray at the wheel wells. I would have "never" thought of it, but once said, it makes a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Every car I've ever had did that. The icy wet stuff we get here really packs in. Just have to kick it out when it gets too much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The vibration is caused not by snow in the wheel well but snow that settles in the belly of the rim. Last winter I kept a thin stick in the car with me and I would use that to poke out the snow before the car cooled down.

I had the vibration issue and it flipped me out.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52471

BINGO!!!

Had to follow an ambulance on a 90 mile ride one day and this happened to me just before we were to depart. I think I used the lug wrench to clean it out that time but kept a broom handle in the E during the winter after that.

Amazing how easily it cakes inside the alloy wheels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just experienced that issue! We just got about 6-8 inches here in Ct and as i hit 50mph, the wheel started to shake! Very scary! I pulled off the highway, knocked off the build up under the front and back wheel wells and was on my way. The vibe was less noticeable and eventually stopped since i could hear what was left of the snow and ice falling off the tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.