Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a set of these and will be having them mounted today.

The R is a replacement for the RSi - a tire my son has had on his Mazda Protege for the last couple of winters. He drives a bit more aggresively than I do (the Protege is also, obviously, a bit sportier than the Element) but the tires are extremely grippy and predictable. I have run Hakka Qs on my other car in the winter for years and they are also a great tire.

The snow is now starting to accumulate in the high country so it won't be long until my winter migrations into the hills start! I can hardly wait.

Full review to follow!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, so far I am very impressed. Excellent wet grip and, most surprising, VERY low rolling resistance, pretty quiet and very good directional stability (no squirm on dry pavement). Now for the snow test! (Silver Star got over 50 cm this weekend) :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Well, so far I am very impressed. Excellent wet grip and, most surprising, VERY low rolling resistance, pretty quiet and very good directional stability (no squirm on dry pavement). Now for the snow test! (Silver Star got over 50 cm this weekend) :)

Wow you got 19.7 inches of snow ?? That's way early for that much.

Dom

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you got 19.7 inches of snow ?? That's way early for that much.

Dom
Sure is. I was still mountain biking at the Star this time last year! The nordic ski season starts on Oct 31 - several weeks earlier than usual. I hope they move up opening day for the alpine season as well, I can't wait to get back on my snowboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here, first post. Currently looking for snow tires for my element, what size tire did you get?

What size do you guys reco? Is 235/70r16 to big for a snow tire for the element?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
New here, first post. Currently looking for snow tires for my element, what size tire did you get?

What size do you guys reco? Is 235/70r16 to big for a snow tire for the element?

I ran 235's last year and it sucked in deep snow, too wide, stay with a 215, thats what I moved too.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite right. I have found that tall and narrow tires are better to bite through to find a solid base in both snow and mud. Stick with the stock 215s for winter.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hakka R

After a few miles in the snow I am very impressed with these tires. Not only are they grippy on slippery surfaces but they really handle well on winding mountain roads - very stable and predictable.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update on the Hakka R. After a couple of weeks use on snowy mountain highways - with ice, gravel and slush thrown in - I am more and more impressed with these tires. The E sticks like glue to the road and I can report no slippage even on the tightest slipperiest switchbacks that have taken a few vehicles off into the ditch so far this winter.

The real test will come during my annual snowboard roadtrip next month but I am confident the Hakkas will take on anything winter can throw at us!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts