Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread for skiers with Elements. Maybe there already is such a thread, but I couldn't find it using the search function. Mt Baker (Washington State) opened yesterday with a record early base; 72 inches on Nov. 12. I drove up today (November 13) for not only a first ski of the season, but also a first for driving my E in the snow.

I'm happy to report a successful maiden snow voyage. It was snowing heavily on my way up and most of the front-wheel drive vehicles were stopping to chain up, but none of the AWD/4WD vehicles were. My Element behaved nicely on the packed powder roads and I still have the stock tires on it.

As an added bonus, what with all the snow, it was easy to sit in one of the back seats and put my boots on inside. Plenty of room, and warm and dry!

Here's to a great start to the season!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Does snowboarding count?

:)

There are a number of threads discussing snow sports and the E (I keep resurrecting my "Hooray for winter" thread every year) but we can always use another!

Glad to hear of your enthusiasm. Several resorts in B.C. are opening up this weekend, Whistler, Sun Peaks and Big White, and my local mountain (Silver Star) is set to open in two weeks.

Yeah the E is great both as transport to the snow and as a base camp. Not only is there room to put on your gear in the back but on nice days I love sitting on the tailgate and soaking up some rays after a mornings riding.

My favourite time of year!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, snowboarding too! I wish I could change the thread title to "Snowriding and the Element", but I don't know how to edit the thread name.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like a good start to the season out there. Grand Targhee has had enough snow to open for a while now but no budget to get things up and running before the planned opening on Thanksgiving. They're going to throw a passholder keg party to make us forget they could be open I guess.

Yes, the tailgate rocks! one of the selling points of the E for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I live in Michigan so no huge mountains or anything, but I'm a skinnyskier anyway, so I'm mostly looking for gentle hills at the most. I'm looking forward, while everyone around here whines about the future snow, to snowy days on the weekends when I can load up and go to the metropark and ski around the golf course or through the woods. I have even been known to go out my back door, ski around my back yard and take off skiing through the subdivision. It'll be nice to sit on the back gate in the E and put my stuff on. I got my E last year in late March, so I never had a chance to try it with my skis.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
It's been snowing steadily on the hill today!

:)

I put the roof rack and the cargo box back on the E today and got my gear all sorted for the winter.

All set for the season now!

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Purchased my E last Saturday and the weather's been unseasonably warm until yesterday. It snowed this evening and we have about 8"-10" of wet snow on the street - so I took it out tonight around the neighborhood for the E's first snow-venture. It did fantastic. The AWD really does it's job when called upon. Our Odyssey has been our ski car so it will be a nice change with the E's rubber floor and AWD. We can't take 4 people until we get a roof rack. It looks like 3 could go if you remove one seat for gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Purchased my E last Saturday and the weather's been unseasonably warm until yesterday. It snowed this evening and we have about 8"-10" of wet snow on the street - so I took it out tonight around the neighborhood for the E's first snow-venture. It did fantastic. The AWD really does it's job when called upon. Our Odyssey has been our ski car so it will be a nice change with the E's rubber floor and AWD. We can't take 4 people until we get a roof rack. It looks like 3 could go if you remove one seat for gear.
Yes, that's exactly how we roll. Three seats and the gear/skis fit in the back. Except you don't have to remove one seat, just put it in the up position. Drivers side rear seat is the better to have in the up position. The passenger side seat in the up position creates a huge blind spot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
mt. hood (oregon) also, just opened for the season. i cant wait to get up and play in the snow with the E and test out the new yokohamas all season tires... :) also in the market for a new snowboard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
snow lover

Let it snow!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
mt. hood (oregon) also, just opened for the season. i cant wait to get up and play in the snow with the E and test out the new yokohamas all season tires... :) also in the market for a new snowboard.
i actually just put my 'it's all good in the hood' sticker on my e! <3 mount hood.

^ keystone

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oohh! I am so jealous! It has been so warm here in Maine!

Briggsie, I'm wit'chu. I ski out my back door when I can, even to the elementary school through the neighborhood when I can. Derned plow trucks come out too soon, or I would ski downhill to the bay on the streets, blissfully.

This is my first winter with my E and I am happy to hear people have had good traction with the oem tires. I did get the dealer to take my Dunlop Graspics off my Subaru, but I will try out the oems first.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Had a great day on the hill yesterday. We've had more snow in the mountains this November than we've had for years so conditions are great. I had only planned to do a few turns to stretch out the legs and get my equipment sorted but it was so much fun that I was there for 5 hours.

My legs are killing me today but it was worth it! :)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I miss snow.:x I was washing the cars in shorts today. :-(

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just got back from a quick two-day trip up to Whistler. On the way back home we drove through blinding snow on snow-pack roads, freezing rain, slush, and then finally, just plain rain. The Element handled like a champ and I still have the stock tires. I don't know if the 4-wheel drive ever engaged or not, is there any way to tell?

Also, I made it to Whister and back from my house (280 miles round trip) on one tank of gas. Thats always nice.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
... I don't know if the 4-wheel drive ever engaged or not, is there any way to tell? ...
It's pretty seamless but the system only engages when it senses front wheel spin. You should be able to tell when the front wheels lose traction and the rear drive kicks in once you become attuned to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts