Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Snuffleupagus has a new set of eyes! (HID Install)

Sorry this news took so long to post. I had to find time to do a photoshoot.

My car failed inspection for not having high beams. My older HID retrofit did not have them. So last Monday after getting back from the Lights in the Park meet in Albany, I asked Dom if he could help me install my new HID lights so I can pass inspection. I also wanted to install a new horn, the Stebel airhorn, in my car.

Dom asked his friend Mike if we can use his driveway so we can have lighting and worked on the car with me for a few hours. I do not think I could have finished the project without his help in the time I had.

I am extremely grateful to Dom for his assistance, his expertise, and most importantly, his patience. Yep, his patience definitely.

Exchange on several occasions during the night-
Dom: "Why do you hate me??!!!"
Me: "I don't hate you, I just enjoy watching you suffer!"
LOL

---

About the HIDs:

My original HIDs retrofit were built into completely blacked out headlight housings so no reflections from the bowl. They did not have high beams. One side could not be raised to proper height so I lowered the other to match.

The new ones are the same set that others have installed. They are available through ebay seller Hiking1978. The system has halos built into them. They have high beams. This time around I did not black out the housing, instead I painted the outer trim aluminum to keep it from being too "chromy". I left the bowl untouched.

The new set appears to have a better light spread since they are at the proper height and there are reflection coming from the bowl. The older one was more "focused" and was limited by the inability to be raised to proper height. Dom noticed the difference immediately. He should. I've driven following him going to and from meets often enough. :grin:

Pics or it never happened, right? So here are the pics of the new HIDs on my E.

IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0543.JPG

You can see a few more pictures here.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Those look good Snuffy!

Those halo/HIDs are on my "to do" list.

I like what you did with the outer rim of the headlight too. I have been trying to come up with something similar to what you did leaving the bowl untouched.
Either paint around the housing like you did or maybe half of the housing one color and the rest another. To me, black housing was cool before they started coming on the Element that way(06 or 07)? A 2003 E with blacked out housing just looks like a newer E. That's not custom enough for my tastes... but I'm a picky basterd! :grin:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking great!

You and Dom sure you dont want to take a roadtrip to california anytime soon? =)
LOL I really wish I could go on a roadtrip. I could use a long get away. :grin:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look good Snuffy!

Those halo/HIDs are on my "to do" list.

I like what you did with the outer rim of the headlight too. I have been trying to come up with something similar to what you did leaving the bowl untouched.
Either paint around the housing like you did or maybe half of the housing one color and the rest another. To me, black housing was cool before they started coming on the Element that way(06 or 07)? A 2003 E with blacked out housing just looks like a newer E. That's not custom enough for my tastes... but I'm a picky basterd! :grin:
Thanks!!!

I am a big admirer of your E and all you've done to it so your compliments are highly, highly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additional information

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I forgot to mention that I wired my halos differently. I have them plugged into a keyed position in the fuse box under the dash instead of being tied to the parking lights. They now act like DRL's. They come on when I turn on the car and are independent of the headlights.

We probably would have completed the project if I did not do that. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
You got your inspection sticker, that's all that counts! \\

Dom

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dom.five said:
You got your inspection sticker, that's all that counts! \\

Dom
Getting the sticker was pretty much a given. What was important was the help I got getting there! :grin:

Looks good,nice job guys.8)
Thanks! :)

That looks quite excellent, you were lucky to have Dom for your wing man, nice job guys!!!

Chief
Thanks, Chief! She'll never be up to par with Darth Raider but I hope I can get her to a decent stage atleast. And Dom's help was invaluable. :)

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Thanks, always appreciated! Your ride is at a very decent stage right now and I love how you have been very neat and particular about the mods you've added. That's all that it really boils down to!

Chief

1 - 15 of 15 Posts