Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all done my research and the majority of Honda Dealers here are pricing them at invoice if you talk serious. There was one dealer that was totally crazy today (nothing new for Honda dealers) gave me the whole set of guilt speaches and when the GM came over to talk sense into me he pull all the amateur sales tricks on me (acting like he couldnt say my name and making a little joke out of for introduction (classic way to make people feel inferior) he also kept saying you want to buy the car dont you? ( I could care less my job isnt buying cars I can wait until someone will seel it to me your job is selling them) Well gone on long enough about him what a jerk! Dealer in Rancho Santa Margarita (not naming names just locations)has always caused me issues. Also all of the sudden a lot of 4WD EX manuals showed up there are like 8 locally! So now to color am I hip enough to go with Orange? Or just stay silver or Mist? Cant stand the green hate the interior.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote:4fdec53078="isdkelly"]Dealer in Rancho Santa Margarita (not naming names just locations)has always caused me issues. . . . Cant stand the green hate the interior.[/quote:4fdec53078]

Well, I had just the opposite experience with Family Honda ( I think its the only Honda dealer in Rancho Santa Margarita) when I bought my Element there. Of course, I never talked to any of the floor salesmen or the GM. Simply made a call to the Internet Sales Manager who was very straight forward and agreed to a very reasonable price (just above invoice). More importantly, the entire deal took only about 2min to work out, without any hassle.

What I don't understand is that if you are getting dealers that will sell at invoice, why are you still looking?? Sure you might get one that will go into their holdback, but that isn't alot of money and from what I understand typically none of the holdback goes to the salesmen. What more do you want?

BTW - I have the green Element and love it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--What I don't understand is that if you are getting dealers that will sell at invoice, why are you still looking?? --

Well I had about three at invoice from other dealers but they were all A/T and I wanted a manual so when I walked into the local dealer they had two manuals on the lot. Well a Green one in the showroom (with markupsticker, and a orange on the way in 3-5 days).
The main issue whith them was that I told them what I wanted they said they would take the price back and see what they could do, then they brought back another salesman who I explained the same thing to again and they again said they take the prices back and see what they could do, thirdly they brought the GM and I again explained what I wanted. In all this time they never presented the price. Finally he said "OK how about we figure something fair to get you into the car today", and wrote $19900 on the sheet - mind you the MSRP is 20,050 invoice somewhere about $19262. So I told him if you think thats what I am asking for after telling your salesman three times exactly what I want I doubt youll be able to serve any of my needs. Have a good day! And walked

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Well... maybe I can offer an explanation?...

Maybe less so in SoCal, but here it is appearing that 4x4-auto EX models are "lot queens". You may have seen my other posting where one local dealer is advertising that package for $1300 below invoice.

In only one week of shopping I am getting the bad feeling that 4x4/5-sp. EX's are special order only and commanding a price a whole bunch closer to MSRP than seems to be communicated by the standing inventory of A/T models.

In other words, you're going to get a better deal on what they have on the lot - "floorplan" (money borrowed to underwrite retail inventory) is just an expense for the dealer, and getting rid of inventory means reduced costs to him/her.

Here's an evil thought... save the $3K by buying out of inventory, and start searching for a wrecked E or CRV with the 5-speed/4x4 and do the tranny swap after the fact. It won't be easy, but the way the drivetrains are packaged relative to the control cluster it's not as much beyond the realm of possibility as it would be in other vehicles. Hmmm...

·
Registered
137 Posts
isdkelly -

You may want to try to call Mike Castellano who is the internet sales guy at Family Honda. His direct number is (949) 510-7664. He is the person who I brought my Element from. He is very straight forward and, if its anything like my experience, you should be rather satisified with the way he works.

If you want, you can mention that I recommended him. Just tell him that 'Eric' who brought a green 4wd 5sp EX from him in the middle of June gave you his number.

BTW - I was happy enough with way everything worked out that I drove all the way from Woodland Hills to buy the Element from him. I could have brought the same car from a dealer up here for just $200 more, but I really hated the way they operated.

Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I'll call him tonight on the way home from work and report back. I have two others at a dealer in Northern Orange County that are what I want too and they have offered flat invoice with no add ons etc for the same vehicle (a silver and an orange) I would only want the Orange from the RSM dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am dealing with the Internet departments at three San Diego-area dealers. I am looking at a 2wd AT EX without the side airbags. I have gotten 19,434 (out of the question), 18,440 and 18,591. These prices are all before taxes and fees.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
18,440 is essentially invoice. Sounds like a deal to me.

The "$1300 below invoice" I mentioned before was an error on my part. There were - of course - some weasel words with the ad. It turned out that the ad contained some deceptive wording which made it sound like they were offering a 4x4/auto when it was actually a 2wd/auto. The ad price was the invoice "cost", plus or minus a buck or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts