Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Well... maybe I can offer an explanation?...

Maybe less so in SoCal, but here it is appearing that 4x4-auto EX models are "lot queens". You may have seen my other posting where one local dealer is advertising that package for $1300 below invoice.

In only one week of shopping I am getting the bad feeling that 4x4/5-sp. EX's are special order only and commanding a price a whole bunch closer to MSRP than seems to be communicated by the standing inventory of A/T models.

In other words, you're going to get a better deal on what they have on the lot - "floorplan" (money borrowed to underwrite retail inventory) is just an expense for the dealer, and getting rid of inventory means reduced costs to him/her.

Here's an evil thought... save the $3K by buying out of inventory, and start searching for a wrecked E or CRV with the 5-speed/4x4 and do the tranny swap after the fact. It won't be easy, but the way the drivetrains are packaged relative to the control cluster it's not as much beyond the realm of possibility as it would be in other vehicles. Hmmm...

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
18,440 is essentially invoice. Sounds like a deal to me.

The "$1300 below invoice" I mentioned before was an error on my part. There were - of course - some weasel words with the ad. It turned out that the ad contained some deceptive wording which made it sound like they were offering a 4x4/auto when it was actually a 2wd/auto. The ad price was the invoice "cost", plus or minus a buck or two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts