Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my first post to be a rant, but ARGH!! Just purchased my CBP SC about three weeks ago and today I came out from lunch at a local eatery and some jacka$$es had opened their doors into the drivers side of my toaster!! The spot on the driver’s door they rubbed their greasy fingers all over and the rear quarter panel really got whacked. The plastic is actually chewed up in 2 spots. There was white paint on both spots and the jerks must have moved after they did it because there was no one there when I came out.

I parked pretty far out in the lot to avoid such a thing but they somehow decided they needed to park way the hell out there by me. My day is RUINED…. :-(

BTW, great site guys - tons of very useful info.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the EOC, Seirk.

That sux, man! Sorry to hear about your experience. Inconsiderate people. :-(

Were there any ways to find out who did it, like cameras? Will your insurance co be able to do something for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cameras in the parking lot that I can see. My deductible is $500 so I'm not sure if the repair would be more than that? Can you even repair those plastic panels if they have jagged chunks missing or would I just need a new one?

Then the question would be what is the cost of a new painted rear qtr panel and trim piece (one chunk out of each).

This is not how I wanted to spend my time on my E.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Welcome seirk - sorry to hear this - maybe members in the know (or one of the pages here can help you out)

Last time I was at a big lot, a construction crew had the day off, we borrowed their cones and put them around the E! ...so I know how ya feel! Cheer up, E will get better.....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
No cameras in the parking lot that I can see. My deductible is $500 so I'm not sure if the repair would be more than that? Can you even repair those plastic panels if they have jagged chunks missing or would I just need a new one?

Then the question would be what is the cost of a new painted rear qtr panel and trim piece (one chunk out of each).

This is not how I wanted to spend my time on my E.
I am not sure, but I think you will need to have the panel replaced. Also, I think they are only primed. If so, they will need to be painted. Could be enough to push it above your deductible.

·
Registered
836 Posts
if they touched the car to try and wipe away the damage i would have tried to get finger prints off and figure out who the hell did this, but i'm a little crazy about my cars.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have had this happen to my E as well! @$$ holes...white paint on my black driver's door! Sorry to hear it happened to you so quick. At least I had mine about 6 months before it happened. :x

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,527 Posts
Man, that really bites!! I do the same in trying to park away from the crowd and noticed I have a ding on my pax door, so I agree with the GGRRRRR!! :-:)x:x

Even tho I wouldn't make a claim for the ding on MY door, if it was as serious as yours, then I would, but, then again, I carry ZERO deductible on my comprehensive insurance for just these reasons (and windshield replacement). It's only a couple dollars extra a month, but, it sure beats a $500 deductible and have to fork it out of pocket....... :shock::roll::)

BTW WELCOME to the club, man, glad to have you aboard!! :razz::razz:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know the feeling! Some SOB put a nice crease in my E with a door. The frustrating part about it is that you do not know who did it and probably never will. You are stuck with the result of their carelessness.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Saw this post and just wanted to add a little something. I too am funny about my car's and anyone ever touching them. For under $200 you can get a car alarm which has a range of up to 1.5 miles to alert you to any sudden impacts or possible impacts to your car. Around Christmas time I was inside a shopping mall and got an impact alert on my LCD read-out. I ran outside to see another "soccer mom" in an SUV who had backed into my car and was saying she saw no damage so she was getting read to jump back in her car (another loud new yorker). I flipped out and luckily a cop was in the parking lot. I got her information and her husband personally delivered the cash I requested to avoid a small claims court appearance or insurance claim. It's situations like this that make me love having a car that talks to me and giving me the ability to check the status on my car at anytime. For those who are really paranoid about their ride you can even spend an extra $50 and get an SMS module upgrade so the car sends you a text wherever you are where it feels it's in danger.

Just my 2 cents bro, you could have been alerted to the problem much sooner.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Saw this post and just wanted to add a little something. I too am funny about my car's and anyone ever touching them. For under $200 you can get a car alarm which has a range of up to 1.5 miles to alert you to any sudden impacts or possible impacts to your car. Around Christmas time I was inside a shopping mall and got an impact alert on my LCD read-out. I ran outside to see another "soccer mom" in an SUV who had backed into my car and was saying she saw no damage so she was getting read to jump back in her car (another loud new yorker). I flipped out and luckily a cop was in the parking lot. I got her information and her husband personally delivered the cash I requested to avoid a small claims court appearance or insurance claim. It's situations like this that make me love having a car that talks to me and giving me the ability to check the status on my car at anytime. For those who are really paranoid about their ride you can even spend an extra $50 and get an SMS module upgrade so the car sends you a text wherever you are where it feels it's in danger.

Just my 2 cents bro, you could have been alerted to the problem much sooner.
What kind of alarm do you have? Sounds cool!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry about your damage. I am very careful with my cars, and stupid drivers whit no care in the world really can push my buttons (almost Postal). I am so tired of going some place and always worring about if some a** in a pos car will damage what I pay good money for. You usually can not match the paint to the factory paint, unless you blend the entire side of the vehicle, and paintless dent repair in some cases requires drilling an access hole in the door to use the tool to push the dent out. Either way just extra expense and time we should not have to put up with. This may sound crazey but I have been looking into getting a metal shop to make some die cut aluminum diamond plate panels to fit on the flat surfaces of the doors. The aluminum would need to be powder coated to match the gray or black panels on most E's or painted body color to match newer EX-p or later vehicles. The panels could be held on with the 3M adhisave sheets that other trim parts are installed with. This would be designed as accent trim like they make for big trucks. Let someone hit your door with this installed and they come away with the edge of their door chewed off by the diamond plate rough finish. I just may start a new trend in door protection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that I would love to see :grin:

I think it was said best in one of the earlier replies that it's driving me nutz that I will never know who did it! Now that I have calmed down the rear hit it can live with but the hit on the drivers door is right on the line where the metal changes direction along the door handle line so it's a kink...UGH!! Now I'm pissed all over again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel your pain - I got dinged the very first time I parked in a public lot (at a mall). I only had 200 to 300 miles at the time!

Things went from bad to worse:

- somehow the paintless dent repair place managed to take a big gouge out of my paint
- they sent it to a paint place to get fixed, and those guys decided to do me a "favor" and buff out the whole car. Worse case of swirl I've ever seen :-(
- I sent it back to the paint place to do over, and it's not much better than it was

This is why I hate letting anyone touch any of my vehicles - these guys are definitely never getting near it again. As soon as the spring weather hits I'm going to spend the time to correct the finish by hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts