Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had an eventful day yesterday. Read the story first, then I would love some advice on things to check for on the car to make sure everything is ok.

I was driving about 35mph on snowy roads through a mountain pass in VERY flat light (no contrast). Because of the no contrast lighting I couldn't see the upcoming snow drifts in the middle of the highway up ahead. Started hitting drifts and was like, oh, ****! Was slowing down gently (didnt want to hit the brakes since that would have sent me sliding) and had slowed to about 20-30mph when I hit a big waist-deep snow drift on the left side of the vehicle, which sent me spinning off the road. Hit the snowy embankment sideways and rolled downhill onto the right side and roof.

It was surprisingly gentle and soft. I think the poor old E rolled over right into a giant fluffy snowdrift.

The three of us inside were fine, and other than all my stuff being upside-down, the E seems to have no real damage. I'm glad we were going somewhat slow.

We were able to flip the thing back over pretty easily by digging snow out from under the uphill side, then using a friend's vehicle and tow strap to pull the car over from the frame where it meets the front wheel. It was another soft landing in deep snow. Once it was upright, a snowplow helped pull her out and I was back on the road in no time. She was only on her side/top like that for about 2-3 hours.

She started right up and runs just fine. Seemed to burn off a little oil from the cylinders at first, but only for the first minute.

We looked everywhere and didn't see any fluids escaped. I checked the oil and put in a little extra to top it off to the correct level.

One thing I noticed is that I'm hearing a little bit of a new gentle whining when I turn the steering wheel, as if the power steering system is a little bit unhappy. Wondering if maybe there's a bubble in the power steering, or perhaps low fluid?

What else should I check? Me and this E have been through a lot together this last 15 years... She's an '04, 110,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! I'm sure that's a ski trip you'll never forget. I'm sorry I have nothing to offer than to say I'm glad no one (nor the Element) was hurt.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
683 Posts
Thankfully, you and your passengers are all OK.

Even with the light snow drift to sort of break the fall, it's amazing that the Element rolled without being damaged badly!

With the E on its side like that, I can't imagine it not losing any trans fluid; check that out too.

Thank you for reminding me why I moved to Florida 33 years ago. I used to be in Porter County Indiana, which is lake effect snow country. One look at your picture and I thought, if I was still there, that would have been me!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Amazing!! Care to share the pictures of any damage on the exterior? I never imagine to roll a car over and still be able to drive it away under its own power.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
So much easier to work on the underside in that position! Glad everyone is fine. Great that the Element still works! Mad Max might be it's new name!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts