Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to MN next weekend to pick up my new Element...and I spent 7 HOURS last weekend getting all the dog hair out of my old mini van (which had wall to wall carpet...ugh). I know the E is dog-friendly, but I'm sure hair still finds its way in places we'd rather it not.

What do you all do to keep the hair to a minimum? Do you take the seats out or just fold them up? Is that enough to keep hair off them or does it stick to the back of the seats?

I bought the Mid-West dog barrier to keep them out of the front, but any other suggestions to get the E dog-ready would be appreciated :)

I have a Great Dane and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and often have my friends's Brocco Italiano in the vehicle with me as well, so there is plenty of hair floating around.

Seri

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was going to suggest shaving your doggies, but that probly wont happen. so do your best. if you dont need the rears take them out.brush your dogs real good first? or dont worry about it.it's your E and your doggies!!! sorry not much help.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
You could try grooming your dog daily; it does the trick with my 3 fine-haired cats. They still shed, but not nearly as much.

For cleanup of the Element's interior I'd suggest rough palmed rubber gloves; just wipe across the surfaces and it attracts the hair like a static magnet. There's also a $5 Pledge brand tool that works and can be reused: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf32322628.tip.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to suggest shaving your doggies, but that probly wont happen. so do your best. if you dont need the rears take them out.brush your dogs real good first? or dont worry about it.it's your E and your doggies!!! sorry not much help.
LOL I"m a groomer so they get brushed plenty but when you have a shedding breed, even the best grooming won't keep them from shedding, especially a corgi!

I've debated taking the rears out but they are such a pain to put back in, I'd rather just put them up, but I'm not sure how much hair sticks to them anyhow, even when they are up.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Embrace the fur it is good for you
if you are not going to need the seats for people take them out they block the view. hair does stick to the seats not as bad as my old mini van but still there.
a Leaf blower works great for removing fur from the back when it gets thick.
For drool marks dawn dish soap and elbow grease.

Post pictures of dogs in the E.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Wrap the dogs in saran wrap..............................

nothing you do is gonna keep out the dog hair - it finds its way every where - your best bet will be to "blow" it out EVERY time they are in it, by that I mean, open the back and side doors, and from the front, use your leaf blower

if you don't want dog hair on the back seats, you'll have to remove them completely from the car, then you'll still find hair on them

good luck, as Drool said, embrace the dog hair, it adds texture

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lots of grooming and I use a seatcover made for dogs. I have used one for years as I used to have a dog that got carsick all the time....Rest in peace Siobhan. I love you and miss you baby girl.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going to take the seats out...people can sit on the floor. J/K lol

I'm considering investing in the seat covers as well...I don't mind hair, I'm used to it, just can't let it get as out of hand as I did with the van. I didn't CARE about the van, so thus I didn't care about the hair and never cleaned up after it.

The leaf blower is an awesome idea, never thought of that, thanks!!

They get groomed every other day so their coats are healthy, but being the resident dog-sitter, I always have other various dogs in there as well, which certainly doesn't help.

Luckily I don't have the drool problem with my own dogs. Vino the Brocco on the other hand...yes, yes, thank you for the drool advice. le sigh.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The leaf blower is a great idea. I also use the vacuum upholstery attachment for the seats and the crevice tool for all those hard to get to places and openings in the floor.

I also have a problem with the volume of Cheerios that get into all those little nooks and crannies. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know...I think I'm going to make a set of seat covers that fit over the seats when they are folded up. Just an elastic-edged sort of thing that pops over them to protect the backs when they are folded up. I don't care so much about the view being blocked when they are folded up, I have a Great Dane, my view is always blocked as it is!

Hrm, have to think on that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You know you can always hose the Element out right? JUST KIDDING! (Before anyone says anything) :rolleyes:

I've use the leaf blower method and it works great for us! I fold the seats up when they ride with us and if its hot and they are shedding really bad I just blow the hair out at the end of the day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've use the leaf blower method and it works great for us! I fold the seats up when they ride with us and if its hot and they are shedding really bad I just blow the hair out at the end of the day.
I wonder if they even SELL leaf blowers in North Dakota...we don't have enough trees to have enough leaves to blow anywhere, haha.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use the wonderful Dyson:)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'll second the 'dyson' cure for the dog hair. Actually, my tool of choice is just a shop vac with the upholstery and a crevice attachments. :)

I use to swear by the 'leaf blower' cure till I had to pull some of the side panels for one mod or another. Anyway, I was shocked at the amount of hair that was 'stashed away' behind the plastic. :???:

Granted, I probably have a tad more chance of getting dog hair in my E than most, but still... I thought I was very careful to get the hair 'flowing' out the back with the blower.

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL I"m a groomer so they get brushed plenty but when you have a shedding breed, even the best grooming won't keep them from shedding, especially a corgi!
I have 8 Cardigan Welsh Corgis! My whisk broom does a great job on the floors, but I plan to use my dog dryer to open all doors and blow the hair out if it gets too bad.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you can't find a leaf blower get a good Shop-Vac. I bought the Rigid brand from Home Depot. It's guaranteed for life and you can switch the hose and use it to blow out the E. Then switch it back and suck the hair outta the seats. I think they run about $60 for a 25 Gallon. Every house should have a shop vac regardless of whether or not they have a dog.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 8 Cardigan Welsh Corgis! My whisk broom does a great job on the floors, but I plan to use my dog dryer to open all doors and blow the hair out if it gets too bad.
Oh I'd love to see photos of them! My Wyatt Earp is my hearing assistance canine..he's brilliant.

I never thought of using my blaster dryer from the grooming shop...is about the same as a leaf blower, hrm.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Having 3 Siberian Huskies, I have no advice to give as I am constantly covered in dog hair, even after they are groomed! :D I'm going to look into getting a shop vac myself. As for the back of the rear seats when they are folded up, I think the dog hair sticks to it more, but it's not horrible. I like the idea of putting something over it. Maybe a twin size vinyl mattress cover with the elastic corners would work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts