Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the dreaded soft lobe exhaust camshaft problem mentioned here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57922&highlight=exhaust+cam

I removed my old exhaust camshaft, while keeping both camshaft sprockets on the timing chain, by letting the exhaust sprocket hold itself up on the teeth of the intake sprocket. Once the replacement camshaft was back in its sprocket keyhole, we "leveraged" it back away from the intake gear it was locked on, and bolted the assembly back in place to it's 16 lbs torque rate. We did not oil the camshaft before installing it, but the channels had oil within, and we put oil on the outside of the cam mounts that we assume also seeped internally. We performed a valve adjustment after the new camshaft was installed on both the intake and exhaust valves. With the new exhaust lobes being intact with the correct height, this was important.

The engine now makes a new high pitched noise, will die when at idle, and the exposed bolts on the exhaust camshaft mounts are very hot when running. I am assuming the exhaust camshaft is not spinning freely in its mounts and causing this noise and heat by friction. These were torque'd to spec, and have no bearings, just oil guides that were full of oil when we removed the old camshaft.

Before we removed the defective camshaft, we were able to turn the engine by the front pulley. Once the new camshaft was installed, we could only turn the engine with the front right wheel bolt. I assumed the "bedding" of the new camshaft and mounts would occur quickly, but I'm afraid to drive on the vehicle with this extra friction.

So some questions:
1. Could the chain tensioner have "clicked" when the camshaft gears touching one another, and when we used the leverage of the cam to put the replacement back in place, we have too tight of a timing chain causing these issues?

2. Could the replacement exhaust camshaft be too large for my mounts, and need to wear a bit to stop making the noise and run at idle?

3. Should I remove the timing chain tensioner, re-install the cams, then reinstall the timing chain tensioner?

4. Should I just re-adjust the timing chain tensioner through the access door near the oil filter as seen here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92905&highlight=exhaust+cam

5. Should I buy a new timing chain tensioner as these fail often, since I'm may need to get in there anyway?

THANK YOU! I'm annoyed that we have to fix Honda's soft metal problem...

Image attached of the old on top and bottom camshaft, so you can see how badly these with the soft metal wear! Note, the rollers underneath were fine, nice bearings and no pitting.
Honda Exhuast Camshafts.JPG

1 - 1 of 1 Posts