Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using ideas from previous designs and some of my own ideas I constructed a solo platform bed that keeps as much storage area as I could figure out. Here's a link to the YouTube video (still photos and my dialogue) to give you an idea of what I've done.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
First, WELCOME!!!

Second, Welcome to the Bay Area, CA E owners club!!

Third, that is quite the first post!!! Very well done.

Keep us posted on all your mods. We expect pictures, but if you are
going to post videos of all your mods, more power to you!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now that's a worthwhile mod, useful way beyond the bed platform it was designed for. and a really great Youtube demonstration. I really do appreciate mods that don't permanently change the E!

Note to Hygienboy: Your unbridled imagination and your photographic skills are very impressive. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I appreciate the OP work and creativity no doubt.

But why fix it if it's not broken? I see so many people put so much money and man hours into trying to create a "different" sleeping area in the Element. In my opinion the Honda engineers did a great job making a simple to use design just with the stock seats. It won't be as comfortable as your Tempur Pedic mattress at home but neither will a home job platform. At least with the stock setup it takes about 30 seconds to return everything to normal driving Element. That was my original appeal to the Element when it first came out. It turns into 2 beds bone stock and has rubber floors you can just sweep out.

·
Registered
517 Posts
To the original poster:

Did you try to use the stock sleeper setup with/without added mattress cushioning first and find it too uncomfortable to sleep on? Was this just constructive boredom and being an inventor re-inventing the wheel per say trying to just tinker around with something different? If it's a bad back issue then maybe sleeping in a vehicle isn't gonna work well regardless of the setup. While I know everyone has differing ideas and opinions this is a discussion forum and the reasoning behind creating a sleeping platform is the curious thing to me.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
I'll weigh in on this, Hygieneboy. Folding the seats down may be fine for occasional (or emergency) use for most, especially if a full-thickness air mattress is used to equalize all those uneven surfaces. But for repeated use, or someone with a bad back, you can't beat a perfectly flat, level surface underlaying one's mattress of choice. Also, it's a great convenience not to have to unload or shift all your gear to get a quick rest. Finally, the out-of-sight storage under the platform is bonus.

The fact that there are 30+ storage/sleeping platform designs for the Element, no doubt many with multiple users, indicates that there's something to it.

I'm reminded of the first time I saw an electric screwdriver. I thought, oh what a frivolous thing. Then I tried one, and saw the light. Sleeping on my platform, with an air mattress, is 90% as comfortable as my Tempur-Pedic at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drawings for Solo Bed

I've managed to create drawings and I've posted them at the website below:

http://web.me.com/markasahi/Honda_Element_Solo_Platform_Bed/Page_1.html

There's a name and password associated with the site.
Name: soloplatform
Password: Element

There are twelve pdfs that you can download that give some guidance for the construction of this solo platform bed. I hope all this helps.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I haven't seen this before, but that looks awesome!! I love how it looks, and how well it integrates to the stock panel work.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
out of curiosity, if i wanted to bring these pdfs to someone and have them cut everything who would be the person to do that... cabinet maker?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't know why I have not seen this before either. That is a nice setup. Thanks for sharing that, MMs2011E.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fabricating parts from pdfs

out of curiosity, if i wanted to bring these pdfs to someone and have them cut everything who would be the person to do that... cabinet maker?
A cabinet maker is probably the right person to make the parts from a pdf, but a friend with a drill and saber saw would do just fine. You can tape the pdf directly onto the wood and cut it out. Using the drawings the parts will be tight and likely need to be filed to fit. That's intentional to keep the parts from being too loose. It won't take long to make the parts. The best situation would be to have the seat removed from the Element and for the cabinet maker (or whoever) to take the freshly fabricated part out to the car and make adjustments as necessary.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This is really amazing - not just the mod but the amount of work you put into sharing it with others - Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
any changes or problems that have cropped up with this design? i'm about to give it a shot for a trip i'm taking in a couple of months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No real problems so far. The worst thing I've had is figuring out which door to use to get in and out with the bed in place. I've chosen to use the driver's door. It's a bit awkward and I've found I have to remove the head rest and move the seat all the way forward to easily get to the door handles.

Sometimes I get lazy and leave the bed fully expanded while driving and things have a tendency to slide around so I have to make sure to strap the sleeping bag and pad in place. Other times I unhook the front platform section and slide it back on top of the rear section and fold over the pad and sleeping bag, and of course all that has to be strapped from front to back. Then I can use the front passenger seat for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
was thinking about flipping around your design and sleeping on the drivers side but i'm six 5 and would probably keep kicking the horn and scare myself half to death. that hatch isn't an option?

ps if you ever sell it i call dibs ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I see you made a new account. Thanks for updating us.
I requested access to the page. It says I need to request to view. I guess I'm the tester for you lol.

Berz out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts