Honda Element Owners Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to copy and paste this since what I predicted in my post actually did happen.

Trevor, take a look at my suggestion since the term "standard" really doesn't narrow things down any. If you were to include an actual measurement of the length of the strap in the item's description, this entire issue could have been avoided. Anyway, not sure how this thread will pan out. It's not meant to be derogatory towards HandA or the author of the initial "HandA problem" thread, but rather a means to an end, and a way for HandA to possibly keep a customer.

from deleted thread said:
While I have no doubt that this post of yours will get brownholed as well, I see where you're coming from. I believe that just based on the fact that an issue has come to light about the length of the straps, it would make sense for HandA to include something in the item description regarding the length of the straps to keep something like this from happening again.

OP, sucks that you're having to go through this. You've been on the receiving end of the fanboy attitude and blind following of people behind a keyboard on a message board. It sucks, but that's what happens when people flex their E-toughguy muscles.

To HandA, I believe that editing your item description is warranted in this case, and you should try to take criticism a bit better in the future. After all, without customers, you wouldn't be making a living. You're here to serve your customers. Even if at times they can be less than polite. It's part of the game you're playing.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Trevor, take a look at my suggestion since the term "standard" really doesn't narrow things down any. If you were to include an actual measurement of the length of the strap in the item's description, this entire issue could have been avoided. Anyway, not sure how this thread will pan out. It's not meant to be derogatory towards HandA or the author of the initial "HandA problem" thread, but rather a means to an end, and a way for HandA to possibly keep a customer.

The other thread was deleted because it was simply a rehashing of the first thread (I didn't see any responses when I deleted it). I didn't see any need for an ongoing argument when both sides already had ample time to state their perspective. He said that his goal was to warn people about how he was treated and I think that has been more than fairly explained.

I appreciate the input but it also appears to me that he in no way actually wants a functioning Kayak rack now. There was no reference to even looking into longer straps. No request for help in getting it to work, simply a demand that we take it back. If it was for an exchange or a refund really makes no difference.

Keep a customer? Although I'm all for keeping customers as repeat orders are a huge part of our business. Unfortunately, what it comes down to now is buying a customer for around $140 and even then I wouldn't think that would get us a customer back. For under $20, straps could be had that would fit around his Kayak.

I can see where a measurement of the straps might be useful on the site, however my point is that he has stressed over and over and over how his Kayak is very small and so I have trouble seeing how that falls into the category of "standard sized", which was Honda's official description of the item.

We have a very liberal return policy, no restocking fee, long time limit and we generally even pay the return shipping on warranty problems but we do need the customers to work with us.

He said in one of his other threads we told him to "just get lost" when he contacted us, yet we have spent a lot of time researching Kayaks and answering every email that we received about the issue.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There weren't any responses yet because I was typing that quoted one up. By the time I hit submit the thread was gone.......as predicted. :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What is the issue (for those of use that have not followed the previous thread)? I have two different kayak holders and have never had an issue, mine are not Honda. I even use the straps for other uses.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't know about everyone else, but, I if order something, anything, I'm gonna check it out when I get it, not wait 9 months!!!!!! And, most businesses will give you 30 days to return/exchange something! That's my $.25 worth! (Sorry, but I just had to say something! Personally, I think this has gone far enough!)

·
Registered
549 Posts
perhaps the guy should try to return it back to Nordstrom....I heard that they take ANYTHING back, even if you don't buy from them, without tags or without receipt...just my $.02

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm the original poster of the thread. First of all, I purchased this item in the Fall and didn't use the item until the early Summer. It didn't dawn on me that the item would not work as designed. I ordered a Honda item for my E. I didn't want to patch it together. I shouldn't have had to do so.

I got the impression from the very beginning of my problem that HandA wanted no part in trying to resolve my problem. They worked very hard to find ways to simply tell me NO. Since customers of HandA can't go into a brick and morter store to visually inspect the item, I believe HandA MUST accurately describe their online offerings when things like strap lengths are critical in making the product work correctly. I believe the product I received was either 1) poorly designed or 2) defective in strap lengths. I can't imagine it working on any "E" as it I received the product.

The bottom line is that HandA demonstrated that they were more interested in just blowing me off than listening and simply exchanging the item for something that I wanted instead. I was even willing to pay the difference and still they just blew me off.

I won't make that mistake again. And I too, had made several purchases from them with no problem in the past. A company isn't measured exclusively by how well they receive and ship orders. They are also measured by how they deal with a problem.

HandA failed. Never again for me. People should know this before ordering an item from them.
Had to copy and paste this since what I predicted in my post actually did happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
While I would never attempt to do this, it's interesting that Nordstrom recognizes the importance of keeping customers happy. The HandA folks had no such motive. They want the sale. That's it. Don't go back with a legitimate issue with their product because they will send you walking. Again, HandA was more concerned with finding a reason to say no.

Did you know that HandA never, EVER, even asked me for the dimensions of my kayak? Did you know, that HandA never offered to send me straps that would work? Did you know, that HandA defined used as connecting the item to my E? The only way I could know that the item was poorly designed was to actually install it and see if it would work. It wouldn't and COULDN'T.

Just extemely poor service by HandA.
perhaps the guy should try to return it back to Nordstrom....I heard that they take ANYTHING back, even if you don't buy from them, without tags or without receipt...just my $.02

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
While I would never attempt to do this, it's interesting that Nordstrom recognizes the importance of keeping customers happy. The HandA folks had no such motive. They want the sale. That's it. Don't go back with a legitimate issue with their product because they will send you walking. Again, HandA was more concerned with finding a reason to say no.

Did you know that HandA never, EVER, even asked me for the dimensions of my kayak? Did you know, that HandA never offered to send me straps that would work? Did you know, that HandA defined used as connecting the item to my E? The only way I could know that the item was poorly designed was to actually install it and see if it would work. It wouldn't and COULDN'T.

1st of all. You should always inspect any and all packages from any place apun receiving them. Also you should always inspect your item to make sure that it is correct and will work with the product that you bought itfor.

I also believe that HandA ( a excellent forum sponsor) takes in to account that what HONDA describves the product and places and accurate description on their site. I dont believe that they can possibly try every specific Kayak out there to make it work. If you expect that then you have more issues then just HandA.

As a customer you should be informed of what deminisions tou Kayak is a what length of strap is need to properly secure your load.

I personally see you as an unreasonable person and uneducated in what you wanted to buy to fit the product you have.

Also please dont go onto a site and spit your beef out on a forum that you have no history with.

I find that arrogant and uncalled for.

Also please see this website www.craigslist.org I bet you can sell it there for a small loss.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If the OP of that thread had put half the effort he spent bitching into getting longer straps, the whole exchange would have been unnecessary.
agreed, and i think that is everybody on here but Mr. Complainy McKayakpants.

why would they have offered to send you straps? it is your kayak that didnt fit, you should have taken some friggin initiative. and yes, 98% of companies out there define used as "not in original packaging" as in you removed it from the box, thiers is at least a little better where you could have looked at it but i dont blame them not taking it back once you bolted it to the truck. the item was not poorly designed, maybe you should be yelling at the people that made your kayak that it doesnt fit your rack. that would make about as much sence as what you are doing right now. h and a didnt make the thing. they resell honda factory accessories for cheaper than anyone else. if you had actually paid retail from the honda dealer and been in the wrong lke you are now and complained up a storm like you are now they would probably take it back from you cause they want to sell you another car, not because you are right or because they feel bad. h and a doesnt make nearly enough off that thing for there to be this much of a deal made out of this whole situation. get some straps and put this to bed already or sell the damn attachment, end of story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, and I am going to continue to make my point. Isn't that the point of a forum? The only people that should be embarassed are the folks at HandA. Their service in my particular situation was embarrassing to be certain. When I get screwed over by an company, I tell others. What do you do R-Dan? Do you just go patch it together and move along silently so others can get screwed over too? People need to know what happens when a poorly designed product, that lacks adequate disclosure, is purchased from HandA.

How HandA handled my situation was extraordinarily poor. I too had purchased several items from them in the past with no problem at all. But when I had a problem, they simply looked for ways to turn me away.

So if this is embarassing myself in your mind, I will continue to do so. People need to know before ordering from HandA. eBay has a rating service that allows customers to express their experience and rate the seller. When a seller goes bad, there really isn't a mechanism in doing business with HandA to let others beware.

So this forum is a place where other fellow E owners can be warned.
Cadman12, you've made your point—repeatedly. How long are you going to beat this dead horse? Get longer straps already and stop embarassing yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Honda kayak attachment was poorly designed.

My kayak is a standard size SINGLE PERSON kayak.

I stated VERY SMALL because it is a very lightweight kayak. An angler kayak.

I'm not going to patch something together that should have been correct the day I purchased the item.

If HandA is going to resell Honda equipment, they need to adequately describe the item on their site before buyers purchase the item. Had they done so, I would not have purchased the attachement (if mine isn't truly a defective design). That's the point.

The whole issue would have been resolved IF HandA had simply disclosed the details of the kayak attachment. Saying it fits most "standard" kayaks is wholly inadequate. Period.

agreed, and i think that is everybody on here but Mr. Complainy McKayakpants.

why would they have offered to send you straps? it is your kayak that didnt fit, you should have taken some friggin initiative. and yes, 98% of companies out there define used as "not in original packaging" as in you removed it from the box, thiers is at least a little better where you could have looked at it but i dont blame them not taking it back once you bolted it to the truck. the item was not poorly designed, maybe you should be yelling at the people that made your kayak that it doesnt fit your rack. that would make about as much sence as what you are doing right now. h and a didnt make the thing. they resell honda factory accessories for cheaper than anyone else. if you had actually paid retail from the honda dealer and been in the wrong lke you are now and complained up a storm like you are now they would probably take it back from you cause they want to sell you another car, not because you are right or because they feel bad. h and a doesnt make nearly enough off that thing for there to be this much of a deal made out of this whole situation. get some straps and put this to bed already or sell the damn attachment, end of story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.