Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: Gettin' homesick ...

deckeda said:
Oh, yeah, Rigazzi's for pasta on the Hill is pure St. Louis. And yeah, St. Louis likes its toasted ravioli as well.

Visitors will get a kick out of Blueberry Hill in U. City.

I gotta say I feared EAT RITE for some reason, but on many occasions did frequent the Courtesy Diner. Courtesy on Hampton Ave. is a hole in the wall diner with cig smoke you can hardly see through. And they make incredible slingers. If I don't make it there somebody snap a pic.

A slinger combines scrambled eggs, chile, hamburger patties, jalapénos, hash browns and probably something else I've forgotten. Yes, you put hot sauce on it.

Dave_C: It was McCluer North. Go Stars!
Awesome!!! I've had my share of slingers from the Courtesy Diner on Hampton as well....either there or we ate at that Dennys right down the street if the smoke was too thick or it was too crowded....but yeah, those gut busting things were great after a night of drunken debauchery:grin: Hampton Ave. could get pretty seedy at about 2am sometimes too....but it was cool.

McCluer North....I knew some pretty cool guys from there way back when...some friends of mine from Kirkwood, some guys from Vianney, and some others from McCluer and Parkway West were usually the ones that would get into the most trouble down at the Landing...we all ended up at Wash U. together with too much free time on our hands (no wonder it took so long to get out of that school!)....oh to be that young with no responsibilities again:grin:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
rnutter said:
Visitors and transplants say missouri. Native Missourians pronounce the state as missourah. Go with the later and you wont get tagged as a tourist.

Ron
Native Missourian now in Kentucky
Missouri if from STL and Missourah if from the other parts of MO. So go with MissourI.... Check out Forrest Park. It is the second largest city park in the U.S.... Have you heard of the Delmar Loop? Great spots... I have been here for 15 years or so and love it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ADAMLSTL said:
Missouri if from STL and Missourah if from the other parts of MO. So go with MissourI.... Check out Forrest Park. It is the second largest city park in the U.S.... Have you heard of the Delmar Loop? Great spots... I have been here for 15 years or so and love it.
I am from Kansas City and I say Missouri (Missour-uh gets on my nerves), so I think its just a rural thing. There is also a town in southern Missouri called "Miami" that they pronounce "Miam-uh". And yes, I am serious.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Well all this talk about is makeing me hungry. Hay I looked at the Photo's of the arch and I did'nt see MickyD's. I have not been in that area was about 15 years. We are going to plan on going. We just need the dates. I still think about the tosted Ravioli. good stuff. It's hard to find a joint on the hill that does not have good food. I usally just ask the guy at the news stand. Is that Still there ??

·
Registered
551 Posts
FormerraSierra said:
I am from Kansas City and I say Missouri (Missour-uh gets on my nerves), so I think its just a rural thing. There is also a town in southern Missouri called "Miami" that they pronounce "Miam-uh". And yes, I am serious.

I agree with you......Mostly people from Hannibal, Nixon, and Cuba Missouri say Missourah....otherwise, my wife is a native Missourian, and she doesn't say it...she lived there for close to 25 years...

You won't find too many people in St. Louis or it's surrounding areas that talk that way.

Dave.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well it seems there are quite a few of you with experience in our fine city. I live on the east side but I work at that big beer factory on Pestalozzi St. Don't worry, I really don't care what beer your drinking. Our beer is the best quality beer made anywhere but when you water it down for the masses it loses too much for me. I'm one of those pesky home brewers!! We have a few micro brewerys in town also. There is one on the Landing and one about 21 blocks west at 21st and Locust called The Tap Room. This is the best by far if your into heavier beers. As far as restaurants, Rigazzi's burned down several years ago but they rebuilt it, however all the old, been there forever, really cool waiters are all gone and replaced with kids! You can still get your fishbowl of bud, but the food is not as good as it use to be. I recommend anywhere else on the Hill. We even have Modesto's on the Hill which is a Spanish Tapas restaurant that really good. Nearby is O'Connells Pub which has the best hamburgers is St. Louis. Would you like that Medium Rare!! I highly recommend "The City Museum" for a day. A place where junk becomes art and the caves make you feel ten years old again. There's a little log cabin in the back that serves adult beverages in the evenings. It's called the Cabin in the City but I just call it the Shack out back. For those planning the event let me know if you need any information on anything, if I can help I will.:)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
B Rubble said:
You forgot Imo's Pizza. Although I wouldn't recommend it for anyone not from St. Louis. I had it once. Once! Even their ads say people from outside St. Louis just don't understand Imo's. and they're right.
I ask my friends back in California if they've ever heard of "St. Louis-style pizza", and they say "Huh?". Then I (accurately) describe it as "ketchup and Cheez-Whiz on a stale cracker" and the looks on their faces are priceless.

Re. "Mi-zoo-REE" vs. "Muh-ZUH-ruh" - the only time you hear the latter pronounciation in St. Louis is in election campaign TV commercials, and always for Republican candidates. Very strange phenomenon.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Route Summary

Start: 21401
End: St. Louis, MO

Total Time: 12 Hours and 46 Minutes
Total Distance: 831.4 Miles

:) We're rolling! Which E? Both??? Too soon to know. Stay tuned!
G.J.

·
Registered
213 Posts
ol fugly said:
We have a few micro brewerys in town also. There is one on the Landing and one about 21 blocks west at 21st and Locust called The Tap Room. This is the best by far if your into heavier beers.
Schafley's beer. The best beer in St. Louis. Served at the Tap Room. :D Their Stout beer. first beer I ever drank where I could notice the complexity and layers of taste. The malts, a chocolaty after taste.

To this day, I don't drink beer brewed in SoCal. The taste just does not compare to anything in the midwest. It must be the water. Of course the most popular beer out here is *sob* Corona.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
As another California native with extended time in STL (lordy... 13 years now), some amplification:

B Rubble said:
I can't believe how many people asked me what High School I went to. And the confused expression when I said I grew up in California. The most classic follow up was "well, why are you here?"
For a major metropolitan area, St. Louis is comprised of a surprisingly un-mobile populace - a lot of natives, very few non-natives. It's a sort of in-breeding that tends to promulgate a rather parochial view of the world. It results in things like, say, truly bad pizza because nobody has a clue what the genuine article is like. :grin:

And I second Ted Drewes. ...
Ted Drewes is certainly good, but IMO not spectacular. We've partaken many times and still don't quite understand all the raves. STL natives would run me out of town on a rail for saying this, but nearly all of the imitators are just as good, and they don't require driving halfway across town on narrow in-town roads with kamikaze drivers.

For hotter fare, try the toasted ravioli (quite good) at Rigazzis (or is it Fagazzis) on The Hill near Forest Park. The Hill is noted for very good Italian food.
Toasted ravioli is yet another local affectation regarding food we don't get. As to "The Hill", expect mostly northern Italian fare - lighter sauces, onion rather than garlic as the predominate flavor note. My best bud is an STL native of Sicilian descent with family in the restaurant trade, and he finally clarified the difference for us. There are a few restaurants featuring decent "traditional" Italian fare... The Pasta House ain't one of 'em, should anybody wonder.

Warning! When you are in the city proper (I-64 in particular near Forest Park), the drivers can't seem to go through the curves on the freeway without going into the next lane. Consider yourselves warned.
What's "I-64"? Nobody on the Missouri side will understand what road you're talking about. That's "Fahrty" (as in "US40").

Also. St. Louis has more stop signs per square mile than any other major city in the United States. (I am just full of amazing, yet worthless facts tonight).
Actually, it's "most stop signs per capita" and "in the world", and I learned this little fun-fact studying traffic engineering... at a California school! And from this is another warning: due to the contempt this practice has fostered, stop signs are "optional" for many natives. Expect people to run the stop, especially if they're on the through route at a 3-way "T" stop.

·
Registered
213 Posts
MikeQBF said:
As another California native with extended time in STL (lordy... 13 years now), some amplification:
LOL. You are correct, on every account, especially the running of the stop signs. Although I haven't been able to find frozen custard out here in SoCal. So never had it before or since I was in STL.

Is now the appropriate time to mention the Bowling Hall of Fame? :roll:

·
Registered
755 Posts
MikeQBF said:
...That's "Fahrty" (as in "US40").
My example was going to be something like, "the man rode a harse".

I gotta stand up for IMO's. The only difference is that the crust is "razor thin". You want a bread pie there's always Chicago or New York. People tend to freak because you aren't "supposed" to be able to roll up your pizza like a cigar, and because pizza isn't "supposed" to be small square pieces. Damn tasty, especially if you like your pizza to concentrate on the flavor of the toppings, not what's below.

But then again, I grew up loving Luigi's (same type of pizza) --- now that's going back a bunch of years.

And I'm generally with you, B Rubble, concerning Ted Drewe's, except that I like concretes. So many places just have normal soft ice cream. Fritz's is fun too.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
deckeda said:
I gotta stand up for IMO's. The only difference is that the crust is "razor thin". You want a bread pie there's always Chicago or New York. People tend to freak because you aren't "supposed" to be able to roll up your pizza like a cigar, and because pizza isn't "supposed" to be small square pieces. Damn tasty, especially if you like your pizza to concentrate on the flavor of the toppings, not what's below.
W.T.H. kinda pizza is that? This is my ideal pizza:

Type:
-Deep Dish

Toppings
-Double Meat Lovers extra meat
-Double Cheese
-Jalapenos

Stuff I do to it once I get it home:
-Marinara sauce all over the top of it
-Ranch dressing all over the top of it
-Grated Mozerella and Romano cheese on top
-Crushed Red Peppers
-Liberal splashes of Tabasco, Tapatio, and Habanero Pepper sauce

That's mmm-mmm good!!!!

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
Please allow me to sum up this whole pizza situation in one sentence: For the most part, all pizza outside of New York is sh!t. Thats is, you've read it, you can't un-read it.:grin:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>I gotta stand up for IMO's. The only difference is that the crust is "razor thin".

You done it now! :razz:

No, there's another key difference - "provel" cheese, yet another local affectation. It's a "pasteurized process cheddar, swiss, and provolone" - in other words, a "process cheese food". We call it "professional Velveeta". It's the cheddar that gives it a rather unique flavor and texture, and... sorry... but cheddar has no place on pizza, and I have my doubts about swiss. Provel also has that waxy stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth nasty feeling that comes with an over-processed cheese, and it's very salty.

I've never in my life turned down pizza when offered until moving to STL. I stick to my original description, and also agree (more or less) with James - good pizza is a pretty tough find outside of of NYC.

·
Registered
213 Posts
And now the pizza wars begin.

My memory of Imos was tomato paste and velveeta on top of some saltine crackers. I also remember a lot of oil in the box afterwards.

Perhaps some brave volunteers can sample Imos during the big meet and report their back to the group...

If they survive.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts