Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I recently inherited my E from my dad, who really took advantage of its utility abilities. He was pretty rough on the car, and was not meticulous in maintaining it like I was with my car. Basically, the rims have something weird going on with them, and I have no idea what. There appears to be a lot of scratching, but I'm more concerned with what's going on in the center and around the edges. What is it? Is it fixable? If so, how would i go abut doing it?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Aluminum corrosion. It's happening underneath the clear coat. About the only way to get rid of that is to strip the wheel down, clean that all up and reclear or paint it. It's the aluminum version of rust basically.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Related Question:

Are Honda aluminum wheels anodized first, then clear-coated? Or, are they polished then clear-coated?

I've been thinking about having mine refinished. I'll either have them anodized and painted (clear), or powder coated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Element and all 4 rims have similar sctatches although not the cloudy discoloration. I have been told I must scrape the curb and the reason its on all 4 rims is that I had my tires rotated. I just dont remember ever scraping any curbs. In fact I rarely ever park where there are any curbs at all, so Im puzzled where the scratches really came from because they look exactly like the ones in the picture. Do you know where those came from or are they just corroding under the clearcoat like the other discoloration?
I had one rim polished after I was in a little fender-bender last week and it took all the scratches out of that one. Will I need to do the same with the other three so they will age the same?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I remember reading either here or the owners manual not to use anything other than soap and water to clean the wheels as some of the cleaners can take the coating off the rim and cause it to look bad.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,829 Posts
I have a less severe case of oxidized wheels the used 2008 I bought. Wheels needing special babying goes the reason I got an Element the first time. I'll have less time, money and energy to expend maintaining this one.

The wheels of my 2004 looked nearly new after 10 years and the same mileage. I plan to strip these, remove or neutralize all the oxidation, and polish them smooth enough to paint.

Duplicolor has an aluminum metallic wheel repaint kit, Plastidip has a metallic one that looks credible. I'm biased toward the Plastidip (I think it will resist chipping better and be easier to refinish if the situation occurs.) If I decide to use it, I may clearcoat the wheels first, just to get a stable finish under the rubber.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a less severe case of oxidized wheels the used 2008 I bought. Wheels needing special babying goes the reason I got an Element the first time. I'll have less time, money and energy to expend maintaining this one.

The wheels of my 2004 looked nearly new after 10 years and the same mileage. I plan to strip these, remove or neutralize all the oxidation, and polish them smooth enough to paint.

Duplicolor has an aluminum metallic wheel repaint kit, Plastidip has a metallic one that looks credible. I'm biased toward the Plastidip (I think it will resist chipping better and be easier to refinish if the situation occurs.) If I decide to use it, I may clearcoat the wheels first, just to get a stable finish under the rubber.
Same thing goes for my '06. Something must be different in the final finishing coat to make them corrode so quickly.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Same thing goes for my '06. Something must be different in the final finishing coat to make them corrode so quickly.
Mine looked like the image in post #1 about a year old. My sister's CR-V was a lease and they had trouble with the dealer at lease end - pointed to 8 more used ones of the same age on the lot that looked the same. I think Honda just uses poorly made wheels. We used to keep GM suburbans and pickups for at least 12-15 years and they never looked this bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts