Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Element, 150k miles, while I driving around anywhere something starts to vibrate like if I were driving on the rumple strips on the side of the road. Honda doesn't see anything wrong, claiming the Element needs new brakes pads! Why wouldn't it happen when I am applying the brakes then? Any body else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I'm curious if the vibrating is associated with any particular gear? When I bought mine (maybe 4 months ago) the previous owner described what he called a little "shimmy" in the engine, I generally only feel it (like a rumble strip) when accelerating through high second. Apparently this little shake is a well documented & unexplained quirk of certain Elements, if you're experiencing the same thing it's probably nothing to worry about. Maybe I've become accustomed, or maybe I'm just learning the car a little better, but recently I've been fueling with clear gas every 2-3 fills, car feels more responsive & shimmy has been very minimal.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Element, 150k miles, while I driving around anywhere something starts to vibrate like if I were driving on the rumple strips on the side of the road. Honda doesn't see anything wrong, claiming the Element needs new brakes pads! Why wouldn't it happen when I am applying the brakes then? Any body else experienced anything like this?
Had same problem in my 08 element. Would start vibrating around 45 mph and if you sped up to around 50 mph it would stop. Over a period of time the condition got worse. I found by searching the internet that the lockup clutches in the torque converter were probably going bad as the symptoms indicated. Turned out that was the case. Required replacement of the torque converter to fix the problem. Pricey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last nite, I drove the expressway home between 65 mph and higher! Just felt it once for about five seconds! This morning, took the city streets to work ,in that range of 45 to 50 mph and there it was again! I was thinking this morning, maybe drive shaft? I guess I need to go forward a little farther, to the torque convertor? Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got this problem since my E sat home 8 days in a row every 2 weeks... for a few months... changed rotors & pads on all 4 wheels. Next step is for new calipers... when i have the $... snow is coming soon so... might have to live with it for the winter!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trans fluid is a good easy step. I had similar problems. I replaced all struts and springs, that smoothed the ride a lot, then one of the steering knuckles (passenger side) was replaced and then an alignment. It is like riding on clouds now. Of course I have a competent mechanic. I took it to the dealership for an air bag recall and asked them to look. They gave me a dictionary of parts and an estimate of $3500. My mechanic did it all for six or seven hundred. It was about 2 years ago on my 2003. I've put 20K miles on it since then without problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had something similar like this a few years ago in our 2006 EX-P. Took a long time to diagnose but it turned out to be front control arm bushings. Vibrations went away after they were replaced. Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are three likely sources of rumble: one is worn half shaft splines, another is the front bushings, and the other is the torque converter as mentioned.

The half shaft issue is easy to detect...jack up and test. There should only be barely perceptible play in the half shaft. This is generally the fault of cheap half shafts. Easy fix, and very fast too, and generally can be done without an alignment.

The bushings take well under an hour, and are cheap, but require an alignment. Things have to be pretty bad- you can check by jacking up and shaking the control arms, and inspecting the rubber for cracking.

The torque converter is around $250 to $400 depending on your choice. It took me 3-4 hours to replace and road test with the use of a lift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is little doubt that the torque converter is bad. Know issue on the E. Mine went for some time with the rumble strip vibration until it was diagnosed at the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DRIVE SHAFT! Mine went around 300,000 so this does seem early for you. same issues Inspect very closely for signs of wear in the rear u joint. I saw a dusting of a copper color which clued me in after changing wheel bearings and flushing my trans and rear diff. Joint still felt tight but at 55-66 mph vibration and it drove me crazy! You will have to replace the shaft as the joints are not replaceable.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
At about 150k (I bought my '05 E brand new) a rear caliper started sticking which created a roar/rumble sound after after getting up to speeds over 45. If you have/can-borrow a laser-style heat gauge it's easy to check for this. It'll be the hot one. You can check with with your hand, but just be very careful, go slow, don't touch the caliper, the wheel itself will be hot after several miles. If this turns out to be your problem, also get a brake fluid flush when you're replacing the caliper. This is for a few reasons, one of which is that the fluid has been compromised by getting so hot, and also it's a much better way to get all the air out of the lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had that problem it turned out to be front axles even with aftermarket parts was over $700 to fix but is all beter now. I have a 2011 element

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only time I had that happen in my 04 is when I was accelerating up a slight incline. I found out it was time to replace a couple of my engine mounts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
change the trans. fluid, I just had a similar situation where e sat for extended period. shook pretty good especially when letting off gas more of a shutter. . trans. fluid change all good....
My E will shake a little going about 40mph. It doesn't last long and its a very rare occurrence.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So far it's caused by ... Fuel, torque converter, drive shaft, brakes, trans fluid, front control bushings, half shaft, or engine mounts. To add to the list, bad wheel bearings. One "parts monkey" technician not finding a problem you know is there is not a surprise. You need a second opinion with a real diagnostic technician. And no, I am not saying anything about dealer mechanic techs or mechanics in general.
You would often get a second opinion on a medical procedure, why not on a vehicle repair?

Why wouldn't it happen when I am applying the brakes then?
So it doesn't happen under all conditions?
Lets get some definite info here. Does it vibrate when accelerating or while coasting / at steady speed? At what speed range? Is it pulling the steering to one side when it vibrates? Does it vibrate when the vehicle is warmed up or cold? In certain outside temperatures? During turns (which direction of turn if so)? During braking? Is there a shimmy during light braking that goes away during heavy braking? Can you give an approximate location of the vibration?
As an immediate diagnostic, try non-ethanol fuel for a few tanks.

Why wouldn't it happen when I am applying the brakes then?
The brake recommendation may have nothing to do with the vibration. Every shop does certain "due diligence" checks on every vehicle. This eliminates the "you didn't tell me that" customer and also helps the repair sales numbers. To answer your question, a very very badly worn rotor could cause constant out of balance issues, but I've never seen rotors that bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My E will shake a little going about 40mph. It doesn't last long and its a very rare occurrence.
Read the "sat for an extended period " when I started to use it again it had a shudder. I did an oil change and valve adjustment and trans. fluid change as I began using car again ( I have two elements) I allowed this one to sit as maintanance was needed on other...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 05 Element does that on rare occasions and has been doing it for at least eleven years. Usually for me it is at slower speeds between 15-35 mph. Letting off the accelerator usually stops it. I would describe it as "driving on a rumble strip".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts