Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had similar problems with by 2003 EX. Last year it would refuse to crank on occasion, but after a couple of whacks around the battery it would crank. I wound up replacing the positive cable, which in the parts diagram I believed is called a "sub-wire assembly," or something similar. It's pretty easy to replace if you take off the exhaust manifold and throttle body. It began happening again two months ago, but with reduced cranking speed. I replaced the starter with a $75 Rock Auto replacement, and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone solve this problem? I've got a 2004 EX and it just started doing this. Turn the key and it's like the battery is dead. Turn it a couple times and it starts right up. I've read off and on all day and I'm not the only one with this problem. Yesterday I replaced the starter switch under the steering column with a new Honda part. Some swear this fixed theirs. Not mine. $60 wasted. I see others say it didn't fix theirs either. Some say relay. I can't even get mine out. Must need a special tool or something. I see where others have replaced it with no fix. I've also read where people have taken theirs to the Honda dealer and got no help after $1000 in repairs. If anyone actually has a fix that has worked please let me know. My next thing will be a new starter. I seriousy don't think that the problem either . It will always start and cranks fine. Battery is an oversized NAPA that is 6 months old. It tests great. Email is [email protected] if you have a solution please let me know. I'll be out in the barn working on it. Thanks in advance.
Same thing was happening to me. I replaced the starter last week and everything works great now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It sounds like this problem was fixed with a replaced starter. The reason this thread caught my attention was because I was having intermittent no crank, no start problems with my 2008 E for a while. I was researching and checking everything and everything checked out ok. It's so weird and frustrating to hop in your E and nothing works, not even the horn or lights. Long story, short, it turns out my battery cable connectors kept loosening because the battery terminal posts were undersized in diameter. For just $2.79, I purchased a pair of battery terminal post shims, tightened the cables on well and I have had no problems since!
That's great. That's why you should check out the simple things first. Starter needs full amount of voltage and amps to run when you turn the key. Several small things will cause lack of power getting too starter. Starter replacement is not easy and is very $$$$. I checked all the small things first and then did the battery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've had similar problems with by 2003 EX. Last year it would refuse to crank on occasion, but after a couple of whacks around the battery it would crank. I wound up replacing the positive cable, which in the parts diagram I believed is called a "sub-wire assembly," or something similar. It's pretty easy to replace if you take off the exhaust manifold and throttle body. It began happening again two months ago, but with reduced cranking speed. I replaced the starter with a $75 Rock Auto replacement, and it's been fine ever since.
$75 for starter is a great price. I hope it lasts a long long time. I went with a new one. I've used rebuilt before with good results most of the time. It's a pain to change though I thought. With Indiana weather being so cold in the winter and my pole barn being unheated I went with new. Seems like things always fail when it's -10 degrees with wind howling and a foot of snow ha.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts