Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after lurking here a while, and 3 test drives later (2WD & 4WD EX, SC), I think I'm about to purchase an E. My local dealer here doesn't have the one that I want (only LX's or AWD EX's), so they'll be doing a dealer trade. I hinted that I might like to go get the car myself, but they gave me the "no way, José" look at that suggestion.

My question is, did anyone else have to succumb to the mercy of their dealer driving the car back to your local dealership (with all those precious early miles NOT put on by you)? Since they won't let me pick it up myself, I'm almost tempted to ask them if they plan on following the break-in procedures from the owner's manual (no fast starts/stops, no cruise, etc.). I would hate for some dealership lackey to find a need to joyride my new E.

Am I going over the edge, or will my dealership take care of my new car?

Great to finally be a poster (and soon new E owner!) here on EOC!

(P.S.-I think I'm supposed to be an E owner. As a chemist, I always use elements, and I just noticed that the "EOC Rank" also uses elements. Well played. :D)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd believe you can go do whatever you want. What's stopping you from just calling the dealer that has the vehicle you want and setting up an appointment? You can bring a Bank's loan certified check with you and work out the deal before going out there.

Why would a local dealer tell you that it must be delivered? I'm thinking is a $$ deal. In the above scenario, your local dealer doesn't get anything. They put in the effort to setup the test drives around town. They had their salesmen investing time in you. They found the nonlocal dealer that has your vehicle. Do they have a right to some of the money the Element may bring in? Sure.

I don't believe its their right though. Let your local guy know its not about the $$ (delivery charge). Its about the care of an expensive vehicle that you're about to own. A good dealer will help get what you want, provided there's a profit involved.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, after lurking here a while, and 3 test drives later (2WD & 4WD EX, SC), I think I'm about to purchase an E. My local dealer here doesn't have the one that I want (only LX's or AWD EX's), so they'll be doing a dealer trade. I hinted that I might like to go get the car myself, but they gave me the "no way, José" look at that suggestion.

My question is, did anyone else have to succumb to the mercy of their dealer driving the car back to your local dealership (with all those precious early miles NOT put on by you)? Since they won't let me pick it up myself, I'm almost tempted to ask them if they plan on following the break-in procedures from the owner's manual (no fast starts/stops, no cruise, etc.). I would hate for some dealership lackey to find a need to joyride my new E.

Great to finally be a poster (and soon new E owner!) here on EOC!

(P.S.-I think I'm supposed to be an E owner. As a chemist, I always use elements, and I just noticed that the "EOC Rank" also uses elements. Well played. :D)
No worries, Honda engines are tough, I've bought few cars in the past that were dealer trades with around 100km or so on the ODO, with no problems, plus most dealers are very carefull with cars prior to delivery. Now after you hand them the money is another story.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
break-in

Since they won't let me pick it up myself, I'm almost tempted to ask them if they plan on following the break-in procedures from the owner's manual (no fast starts/stops, no cruise, etc.). I would hate for some dealership lackey to find a need to joyride my new E.

QUOTE]

I've never purchased a new car before, and when we picked our new E at the dealer, I had a ton of questions about the break-in period since it had 4 miles on the odometer. Our salesperson's reply

"This is a honda. there's no break-in. It's built ready to be driven, turn the key and go." I figure car companies have come along far enough to eliminate the break-in, and the owner's manual at first glance had nothing about it so while we never ever abused the car to date, we didn't change our drving habits to break the E in. I'm going to post this as a new discussion cuz I'd like to hear more about it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The break-in period for the E is 1000km's like most Honda's. During this time try to avoid any harsh starts and stops until everything gets broken in. I doubt it would really do all that much damage to the engine but i always advise my clients to try and avoid doing 150 km/h on the highway ;-)and avoid crazy driving manouvers during the first 1000 km's. I've had many folks pick-up their new Honda and promptly go on vacation or a roadtrip and never heard of any problems or complaints. Hope this helps, it's a Honda and you should feel confident.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Break-in

My dealer said the same thing about starts & stops, plus avoid high speeds. I questioned that since my automotive training said to vary the speeds, keeping speeds between 40-80 (not in any special increments) on the hwy for about 100 miles; setting the rings, valves and varying the engines temperature. I was also told NOT to switch to Mobil 1 after that, wait for the 5-7k like Honda says. So i waited till 3k and said I trust Mobil 1 more than the guys that want to possibly sell me more service. Rick :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If your car had more than 1 mile on the odometer then it has been flogged on mercilessly already. What do you think most people do during a test drive?
Go ahead and stretch it's legs says the salesman.;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mobil 1

...So i waited till 3k and said I trust Mobil 1 more than the guys that want to possibly sell me more service. Rick :)

I was always taught that synthetics are best used after the engine has broken in sufficiently. Mainly because the synthetic is so viscous (sic) that it will not allow the engine to break in. I always wait til about 5k just to be sure. I use it in my 08 Ridgeline, 94 Eldo Touring Coupe, and in my old 03' Element which got traded in on an Avalanche that I won't go into here :(.

I have never had a minutes problem.

Dave

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If your car had more than 1 mile on the odometer then it has been flogged on mercilessly already. What do you think most people do during a test drive?
Go ahead and stretch it's legs says the salesman.;-)
Drive it like you RENTED it!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would hate for some dealership lackey to find a need to joyride my new E.
It's been my experience, that more often than not, the guy going to pickup the dealer trade, is a retiree - more likely to drive it like grandpa then a joyride.

I've always planned on supplementing my retirement this way. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
3 down and no "break-in" necessary

I'm on my 3rd element (a 2009 EX MT) and never once have I had "break-in" issues. My 2004 was a great piece of machinery, not a single problem - ever. My 2007 SC rattled and squeeked (on the interior) more than the 2004....not sure why. The 2009 came with 128 miles on it, and I really consider that "broken-in". The dealer has never given me the "break-in" speech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts