Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my Gf and I are looking at purchasing a Honda Element as a joint car as I now have a company car and no need for a Daily Driver. That unfortunately means the 04 Civic Si is going to be sold (she hates how small it is). I hate my Gf's Mazda tribute, needed a new Tranny ($3k) after 59k miles. So after much back and forth we have both agreed the next car should be an Element. We took one for a test drive yesterday, she loved it, i liked it except for no vroom vroom. I have project car (coincidently another honda) for my vroom vroom fix, so I can deal with that. We have found a couple good deals in the area and are settled between 3 elements:

06 EX-P MT w/ 25k miles ($16.5k), 08 EXP AT /w 8k miles($20k), 07 SC MT /w 44k miles ($18.2K)

I love the ulitily nature of the element but stock it just looks well too family boring car ish. I had made my mind up (before seeing the SC) that i was going to have to mod the outside a bit to make it a bit more appealing to the eye. My GF doesn't know how to drive stick (well) yet but it practicing in my civic and is slowly getting better. Given this intro couple of questions:

1.) The extra $$ for the SC is obviously for the looks and lowered suspension. In your opinion is it worth holding onto the xtra $$ and do the exterior stuf myself. (rims, etc)?

2.) How are the 2wd hondas in the snow? The SC is 2wd and would obviously be a set back. My civic is useless but I have learned how to drive it. My GF panics at snow.

3.) The 06 is considerably cheaper than the other two and still has under 30k miles. Any reason to consider the 08 over the 06?

4.) AT vs MT. I have always preferred MT over AT for the control and the ability to get a little more out of the engine when you need to pass someone. I have accepted that the Element will not appeal to my sporty side, so given that should we just get the AT or does the MT help make the Element just a bit more fun to drive?

Thanks again for your time. Look forwarding to joining you all in the forums.

·
Registered
143 Posts
'07's received a slight bump (10 hp) in power over the '06's, and there were some interior updates as well. I personally like the '06 better, but others may disagree.

The MT will have MUCH better acceleration (I think it beats the AT to 60 by a full second). That said, the AT may actually get better gas mileage given that it turns a lot fewer revs on the highway.

I've personally never been a fan of the SC, but I'm also not a fan of painted panels (I like the plastic both for looks and ease of maintenance). Also its much higher mileage than the others, which is a drawback. Are all 3 cars 2WD?

As far as snow, I live in NC and have an AWD, so I can't answer that.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Welcome to the asylum, we'll get your strait jacket from tailoring as soon as you pick a color :razz:

As was said, the 07+ got a HP boost and the AT got an extra gear. The formerly optional side airbags were made standard in 06 so all of the above will have them.

If it were me, in this case I'd go with the 06 MT. It's still practically a baby and you can spend the money you saved on mods, mods, mods, mods! Sounds like you'll be happier with an MT too. Seems to me you could probably replace the intake with a larger flow model and get the lion's share of the hp gain from the later models relatively easily.

As for 2WD in snow, I've heard they do pretty decent. Personally, living in the frozen hinterlands as I do, I won't buy anything for a daily driver that's not 4WD and constantly wonder at the sanity of people who do.

get the SC!!!!!:D
Not biased at all are we? :razz:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Welcome to the asylum, we'll get your strait jacket from tailoring as soon as you pick a color :razz:

As was said, the 07+ got a HP boost and the AT got an extra gear. The formerly optional side airbags were made standard in 06 so all of the above will have them.

If it were me, in this case I'd go with the 06 MT. It's still practically a baby and you can spend the money you saved on mods, mods, mods, mods! Sounds like you'll be happier with an MT too. Seems to me you could probably replace the intake with a larger flow model and get the lion's share of the hp gain from the later models relatively easily.

As for 2WD in snow, I've heard they do pretty decent. Personally, living in the frozen hinterlands as I do, I won't buy anything for a daily driver that's not 4WD and constantly wonder at the sanity of people who do.

Not biased at all are we? :razz:
What? I agree with TWI ? .............get the '06 pocket the rest (you might even treat the GF to a nice dinner)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx everyone for the input. I've spent the day Forum browsing and web surfing (not working >< ) and have pretty much set my mind on the '06. I've seen a lot of the mods you guys have done and I am excited to work with a blank canvas to make our Element unique. As an Ep3 (04 Civic Si) driver I am well aware of the wonderful mods available out there. With some more poking around I have found a some nice bits an peices out there. I look forward to sharing info with you all. I was a big browser of ephatch.com and look forward to meeting all of you.

My list of first things to do.
1.) Monster fog lights.
2.) Rims
3.) Sound overhaul
4.) Air Intake.

And for those curious my project car is a 72 mini with the Kmotor drop. I do love my honda engines.:D

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do NOT forget...!

Hey BandA (funny Twi...!),

Don't forget to fill out the rest of your profile AND post pics otherwise you'll hear, see, feel, (and smell?-LOL!) the "WRATH" of the Eople... Oh, and it helps to get your EOC stickers/badges on as well in the pics...!

Congrats (advanced!) on your E and as usual, may she bring you many years of service and enjoyment...!

LBD

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looking for advice from this bunch? I can't imagine. Any chance to get the SC for closer to 16K? There just something about about it that fits the urban environment.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
First things first, welcome to the EOC.

Something you have not mentioned except in passing. You said that your GF is just learning to drive an MT. How comfortable is she and how comfortable will she be since it sounds as if this will be her daily driver since you have a company car you will be driving every day. If she isn't too comfortable driving an MT every day and you buy an MT, you will be looking to trade/sell it within days to get her an AT. Get her blessing 100% before putting down any money on the MT. Make sure that SHE takes the Element for a test drive. She is learning to drive on your Civic, and since she's new with a manual driving the Element might be harder or hopefully easier for her... but it has to be her decision.

Now, if you do get the MT and you love working on cars. There is a great thread out there that turns the 5MT into a 6MT and greatly improves the MPG! Just something to know. :)

Good luck and hope you get the E soon.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In response to the question about 2wd in the snow... I'm a native Michigander, so I'm well-acquainted with snow, and here in Metro Detroit, they don't plow the entire road. Like ever. For example, on I-275, which has four lanes on each side, they'll plow about 2 1/2 lanes of the four, and surface streets... Um.... Yeah.

That said, I've never found an instance where I felt I needed or would have benefitted from AWD. As long as your tires aren't shot, you'll have no problems in the snow with a 2wd Element.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
In response to the question about 2wd in the snow... I'm a native Michigander, so I'm well-acquainted with snow, and here in Metro Detroit, they don't plow the entire road. Like ever. For example, on I-275, which has four lanes on each side, they'll plow about 2 1/2 lanes of the four, and surface streets... Um.... Yeah.

That said, I've never found an instance where I felt I needed or would have benefitted from AWD. As long as your tires aren't shot, you'll have no problems in the snow with a 2wd Element.
I would put a caveat on that for the SC, due to it being lowered a bit. I know it's not much, but in the snow a little bit can make a big difference when you start to drag.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
First things first, welcome to the EOC.

Something you have not mentioned except in passing. You said that your GF is just learning to drive an MT. How comfortable is she and how comfortable will she be since it sounds as if this will be her daily driver since you have a company car you will be driving every day. If she isn't too comfortable driving an MT every day and you buy an MT, you will be looking to trade/sell it within days to get her an AT. Get her blessing 100% before putting down any money on the MT. Make sure that SHE takes the Element for a test drive. She is learning to drive on your Civic, and since she's new with a manual driving the Element might be harder or hopefully easier for her... but it has to be her decision.
Just another thing to be aware of, the Element is a hydraulic clutch which can take some getting used to. Though I suppose if you're just starting out on clutch it's all strange... :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts