Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all I did it tonight bought SOP 2003 EX 4wd 5 speed here in Orange County for $18, 240. Invoice 18,984.
What didnt I get?
I brought a check from my credit union, I took no options not even the dealers lot security system. Bought no warantees or other crap.
I got just the car.
Serice? pretty good but it takes dealers like 2 hours to prep a few documents - one day someone will simply install kiosks in a dealership and it will be done in under 10 minutes with no salespeople. Until that day we have to put up with JC Penny dress shirts, bad ties, comfortable shoes, balding guys with goatees, and slicked back hair doos telling us how there is no way they can do the deal and the acting supprised as can be when you wont take their "fair" offer

What did they make? Some holdback, a potential service customer, they moved one more unit, and made the other people in the dealership that saw me standing around feel like they too were doing the right thing ( people are heavilly peer pressured into many car sales why do you think they negotiate at open tables or tiny cubicles? :D :lol: :p :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, looks like you got a great price.

I'd like to think I got a good price.. just bought a 5-speed 4WD EX for about $200 over invoice, plus destination, tax, and tags. So the dealer made a tick over 5%. Maybe I could have done better, certainly I could've done a lot worse.

On another thread someone was remarking about the internet departments, how one should use those otherwise it's loads of b.s. I'd have to agree.

I first got an internet quote for a little more than I wound up paying. Oddly, only one of the four or five dealers I contacted over the internet about this car even bothered responding. So, I went to another dealer who started out at almost $3k OVER MSRP, or maybe $4k over the internet quote (was never clear to me which side of the ledger he put the destination fee). Gave him the internet quote, and he almost instantly basically matched it but couldn't go lower. God Bless the Internet!!!

Then I went to the internet dealer, he gave it to me at invoice plus... and this is interesting, the processing fee. I say "interesting" because this fee is basically just dealer profit, I mean, do you pay a processing fee when you go to the supermarket for the clerk to scan your groceries? How else can they give you a car?

But at least in this area, the processing fee is pre-printed in bold on the sales contracts, and they refuse to negotiate over it, so you have to keep that variable in your mind when negotiating the base price. the internet dealer's processing fee was about sixty bucks lower than the rip-off dealer's. And while both dealers were very nice folks, the ripoff dealer was a little bit high pressure, today today today, while the internet dealer was USDA-certified zero b.s.

Both dealers included non-removable extras, the ripoff dealer quite a few more than the internet dealer. I told them both I didn't want any extras and pretended they weren't there when thinking about the price. They could have tossed in the hope diamond, too, and that would've been nice of them, but I wasn't shopping for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote:c8fcb3fd5b="isdkelly"]OK all I did it tonight bought SOP 2003 EX 4wd 5 speed here in Orange County for $18, 240. Invoice 18,984.
[/quote:c8fcb3fd5b]

You got a great deal!!!! About 3 months ago I brought the same car (only GGM not SOP), maybe from the same dealer, for about $800 more. Good job!!!

Did you end up buying from Family Honda, or another dealership. If it was Family did you talk to the internet sales manager, Mike Castellano? Did you end up working with him??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow good price.. i bought my EX 4wd Auto back in june for 19422... Which i believe is below invoice as well.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts