1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 SOP Element
List of all Upgrades:
Audio/Video
Head Unit - Clarion VRX-610 w/6Disc CD-Changer (located under the driver seat)
DVD - In-dash, Pyle PLDVD-120 with remote extender
Rear TV - Jensen 6.8" swivel drop down screen with diversity tuner
Alpine (4313) sub level controller (used to controll the OEM SUB)
RCA line level controller (used in conjuction with the alpine 4313 in order to interface the OEM SUB with an aftermarket Head Unit.)

Here are pics of the Interior mods:

Hope you all like the setup. I just installed the CD-Changer last night. I removed the front seat during the install. It is very accesible to the driver.

JOhn

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
SWEET!

Did you do the install yourself the rear TV? Or did you have someone do it? How much did it cost? I really like that mod and think that it is a perfect road trip Eccessorie!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did all the install myself. It's always a fun install to do audio and video. I like the challenge.

I've had that Jensen monitor for about 2 1/2 years now. I just had it lying around in the garage. I upgraded the rear monitor for our expedition to a 10.4". I will do the same thing in the futre for the element. I might upgrade to the 9" wide screen or maybe bigger.

I buy a lot of my stuff locally here in Phoenix. I go through wholesalers or buy some stuff from the internet.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need assistance with your install or upgrade.

My original upraded to the audio video was the dvd in the overhead compartment and the overhead monitor. I used the OEM deck's AUX input. I converted it to RCA and ran all the wire to the back to give it that stock look.

John

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:2ff8323b00="1kewlelement"]I buy a lot of my stuff locally here in Phoenix.[/quote:2ff8323b00]

Hey, I've been thinking of moving to AZ for some time now, maybe Tempe or Scottsdale. Do you have a chat client? I'd like to talk with you about the area if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Originally posted by 1kewlelement
I buy a lot of my stuff locally here in Phoenix.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I've been thinking of moving to AZ for some time now, maybe Tempe or Scottsdale. Do you have a chat client? I'd like to talk with you about the area if you wouldn't mind.

Funny thing is.....AZ came up in a "relocation" talk my husband and I were having the other night. As he is nearing the end of his MBA his job search is kicking into high gear and we had to fill out this relocation survey for his career service. I was actually very surprised that my husband was so open to move to so many places....after all he has always been such a die hard St. Louis boy, but I guess his horizons are widening!

·
Registered
287 Posts
How much does that dvd setup cost with the nice swing down monitor?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zarathustra,

Since I did all the install, I saved quite a bit of $$.
The pyle in-dash dvd cost me $130
The clarion in-dash tv cost me $87 only (It was broken and I acquired it for free and got it fixed)
The Jensen overhead cost me $375 from over 2 years ago.
The RCA converter cost $4
The Alpine sub-level controller cost $50
The Clarion Cd-changer cost $24.99

Pretty smokin deal for all that stuff.

John

·
Registered
287 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

·
Registered
10 Posts
John,

How hard was it to wire the rear tv? What route did you take to get the wires to the tv? How did you mount it to the roof? I'm planning on buying the 15.2" version and was just wondering what I'm in for. Overall how long did it take you?

Thanks
Jon
[email protected]

[quote:eea55028bf="1kewlelement"]I did all the install myself. It's always a fun install to do audio and video. I like the challenge.

I've had that Jensen monitor for about 2 1/2 years now. I just had it lying around in the garage. I upgraded the rear monitor for our expedition to a 10.4". I will do the same thing in the futre for the element. I might upgrade to the 9" wide screen or maybe bigger.

I buy a lot of my stuff locally here in Phoenix. I go through wholesalers or buy some stuff from the internet.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need assistance with your install or upgrade.

My original upraded to the audio video was the dvd in the overhead compartment and the overhead monitor. I used the OEM deck's AUX input. I converted it to RCA and ran all the wire to the back to give it that stock look.

John[/quote:eea55028bf]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jon,

It's not hard at all. I removed the overhead storage compartment and the dome light. I just ran the wires from the domelight area to the windshield to the driverside.

It's not hard at all. I used a wire hanger to fish the wire from the dome light opening to the overhead storage opening.

It took less than an hour to do the overhead monitor.

You can contact me anytime if you need more info or assistance.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
John,

What size screen did you put in your Elemnt? I can't decide if a 7.2, 10.4 is big enough or if I should make the jump to the 13.3 or the 15"?

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote:14c79a25a0="fohguy56"]John,

What size screen did you put in your Elemnt? I can't decide if a 7.2, 10.4 is big enough or if I should make the jump to the 13.3 or the 15"?[/quote:14c79a25a0]

The one we currently have in there is only a 6.8" Square screen. It's not a bad size since there's only one back row seats. I am considering either a 9" wide screen or a 10.4". If we go bigger than a 10.4", we'll go with a wide inch(16:9) rather than a square (4:3). But, if you do like to go camping and will use your element as a mobile video tent, they I woud go with a minimum 10.4 to a 17".

Check a lot of the prices on-line. 10.4" monitors ang bigger range from $375 - $1000. If you are not sure of the quality of a particular monitor, feel free to email me the brand and model and I will let you know. I have installed quite a variety of LCD monitors and found that some are definitely better than others.

Here are pics of the 10.4" in our Expedition:

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
John,

I was looking at a Lux Mobil (Luxma) 10.4 or 15. The 15" is running about $575. I'm mostly looking for this to do video playback to entertain my kids while we drive.

Thanks
Jon

[quote:92fa03b725="1kewlelement"][quote:92fa03b725="fohguy56"]John,

What size screen did you put in your Elemnt? I can't decide if a 7.2, 10.4 is big enough or if I should make the jump to the 13.3 or the 15"?[/quote:92fa03b725]

The one we currently have in there is only a 6.8" Square screen. It's not a bad size since there's only one back row seats. I am considering either a 9" wide screen or a 10.4". If we go bigger than a 10.4", we'll go with a wide inch(16:9) rather than a square (4:3). But, if you do like to go camping and will use your element as a mobile video tent, they I woud go with a minimum 10.4 to a 17".

Check a lot of the prices on-line. 10.4" monitors ang bigger range from $375 - $1000. If you are not sure of the quality of a particular monitor, feel free to email me the brand and model and I will let you know. I have installed quite a variety of LCD monitors and found that some are definitely better than others.

Here are pics of the 10.4" in our Expedition:

John[/quote:92fa03b725]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Foshguy56,

There are two kinds of Luxma 15" monitors. You are guaranteed to get looks while driving with the monitors below. It's so funny when people slow down with you to see your TV screen while you are driving.

One is the LFM-A152X1. This has the wide screen format. Aspect ratio is 16:9 (I like this one the most)

The other model is the LFM-1500, which is the square with the aspect ratio of 4:3

Both are pretty good monitors.

Same goes for the 10.4" monitors.
LFM-10F1-A - aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)

LFM-1043 - aspect ratio 4:3 (square ) this is pretty much the same as my 10.4" in the expedition. They are made by the same company but has a different label. Mine had an Emerson label. Model is MT-2500.

15" for $575 is a very good price. 10.4" screen can go as low as $380 depending on the make and model.

I say go for the 15". Either way, you will be happy with it.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey just a question.. it might be dumb! So brace yourselves. I am trying to mount my laptop to the ceiling of the car. Any Ideas as to how to accomplish this with minimal damage?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote:60756bc392="Cheshire Jav"]Hey just a question.. it might be dumb! So brace yourselves. I am trying to mount my laptop to the ceiling of the car. Any Ideas as to how to accomplish this with minimal damage?[/quote:60756bc392]

it depends on the laptop. You can also use a software to invert yor screen. It's pretty kewl. Also, laptops are a lot heavier than regular drop down LCD screens designed for a car.

you will probably have to make a special bracket for it to secure it properly.

john

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have all the nessesary software and a dock ready for install. I have even measured it up in the car. It's big! Just wait till I'm actually done :twisted: ! As Jack Nicholson once said "Wait till they get a load of me" :D . I'm the navigator in our E so I'm planning on mounting over the passenger side. The only thing I can't figure out it a 3rd mounting point or what material will best do the job. Any input on both these would be highly appreaciated! Right now I think I will need to use plastic. I'm thinking acrylic. I will creat moulds of the ceiling with blue foam and my artistic hand. I plan on dismounting the oh Sh*t bar and making that one of the mountng areas and of course replacing the bar and ditto with the sun shade. However I don't think that will be enough. The Laptop Dock combo is pretty heavy at lease 10lbs. :shock: in my estimation. I also figure that I need at least 30lbs. :shock: of hold strenght to deal with the forces from bumps and shakes! I was thinking I could do a mount off of the center unit on the ceiling. off the little grill but I don't think I can put much weight on that. what do you guys think? :?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Comments:

1) make sure that the laptop, when fully "open" will remain clear of the airbag deployment area (steer clear of the dash area in front of thepassenger) and/or where the *belted* passenger's body is likely to be bouncing around, you don't want to kill the passenger.

2) You'll want the mounting to be more rugged than you think, a bad bump could temporarily cause a force of 3-5x the weight of the mounted parts.

-brendan

·
Registered
10 Posts
John,

How did you mount the Jenson overhead? I just got a 9" wide screen and am wondering how you mounted it?

Thanks
Jon

[quote:0e0be0c6fe=" "]zarathustra,

Since I did all the install, I saved quite a bit of $$.
The pyle in-dash dvd cost me $130
The clarion in-dash tv cost me $87 only (It was broken and I acquired it for free and got it fixed)
The Jensen overhead cost me $375 from over 2 years ago.
The RCA converter cost $4
The Alpine sub-level controller cost $50
The Clarion Cd-changer cost $24.99

Pretty smokin deal for all that stuff.

John[/quote:0e0be0c6fe]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yo, I was just curious if you had thought about using a seperate screen with your laptop instead of mounting the laptop.
I am in the process of building my in car computer. I will be using a laptop but I am connecting it to a touchscreen LCD in the center of the dash.
This way I do not need to fumble with a mouse or those tricky little pads on the laptops. I also managed to find a really sweet roll up keyboard that matches the look of the E pretty well and it fits right across the dash on the passenger side or in your lap if you want.
My laptop will be stowed securely under the driver seet since I will rarely need to access it. Also planning to install a wi-fi so I can download all my mp3s and such from the driveway.
Since I design interfaces for a living I plan to design a nice custom Element interface that will allow me quick access to mp3s, movies, nav, email or whatever.
At any rate I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Be sure to post some pics later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts