Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody who uses Vista (no Mac users need reply) recommend a good sound recording software that would enable me to record from a line-in and monitor the sound traffic at the same time?

I can explain further if I need to, but it is a pretty basic need. I am using Audacity and/or the Windows Sound Recorder, but neither allow me to monitor the sound at the same time.

Thanks in advance . . .

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Can anybody who uses Vista (no Mac users need reply) recommend a good sound recording software that would enable me to record from a line-in and monitor the sound traffic at the same time?

I can explain further if I need to, but it is a pretty basic need. I am using Audacity and/or the Windows Sound Recorder, but neither allow me to monitor the sound at the same time.

Thanks in advance . . .
Soundforge? Just throwing this out there since the sound guys here at work use that...

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Just use a Y connector at the input. One side to headphones the other to the PC. They cost about 3$. Like this one
Or get the gold plated job for 20$.
Like this one.

Dom

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I checked out Soundforge, but it is a little pricey for my needs. My project is a small one, and for work (and they will not pay for any software), I don't really want to pay anything, or very little out-of-pocket, for it.

DOM - I considered just that. It may be the way I end up going. I actually found a setting that muted the speakers when an external source was plugged in, done automatically to avoid feedback. I can now monitor the source material, but it is very weak and real hard to hear clearly from anywhere except right in front of my Notebook.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you want to monitor the source or the recording you're gonna need a better sound card, or an external usb/firewire input. But, since you don't wanna spend any jing... you're SOL.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Soundforge XP is available for free (last I checked) but not sure that'll help your problem. Laptop sound cards are notoriously lowest bidder territory and some of them are known to come without full duplex capability. On top of that, Vista has some really big controls on being able to play and record the same stream.

That being said, it sounds like the solution you want will work but a lot of it depends on record volume vs. playback volume. If you go into the Master Volume mixer and do options > properties, it should have a radio button to select Playback or Recording. By messing with these you should be able to set it so your playback volume is acceptable and your recording input isn't too loud.

If I'm not understanding right then give me more details. Honestly I'm not 100% sure how much you'll be able to do since both laptops and Vista aren't particularly friendly toward audio production. I'd highly recommend looking into NV_05_AWD's suggestion of an external input breakout box such as the Behringer U-CONTROL or similar. This unit clocks in under $30 and has 2 inputs, 2 outputs, and a stereo headphone output with dedicated level control. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wave Pad by NCH is what I use.

you can download the trail and reload it every month or be a big spender like me and fork out the $38 to buy it

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, my thanks to everybody.

I was able to download Goldwave and Audacity, which are both basically the same, and complete the project well enough that the boss said, "that's great, can you make some more just the same, only different". Figures!

Again thanks . . .

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
And that's the danger of that type of thing - once someone figures out you can do it, they'll want you to do it again! :razz:

Be sure to tell all the girls ! :D

Dom

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - in hind sight, it might have been better to screw it all up really bad. :rolleyes:

Not my style, but in the long run, something to remember next time.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts