Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

My 2008 EX has developed a thump thump thump that I can feel a little in the floor, hear a little, but it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

Tires are fine. Handling is fine.

The thump goes away when I press on the break pedal to slow down.

I have no time/little money to deal with it right now. I have job after job after meeting and meetings between my meetings. So, I exaggerate that slightly, but I'm not exaggerating the thumping.

Should I be worried before I finally have time to make an appointment to bring it in?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have no idea to be honest with you....not a mechanic. I can say though that my parent's Ford Explorer had a similar sound and come to find out it was the transmission going bad. All along they thought it was the tires but could not find any problems with the tires.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, I too would suspect the tires. If you haven't, I'd try rotate them and check their pressures as a first check. In that process, you could take a look at the brakes/rotors.

Being able to feel the 'kick' on the floorboards sounds pretty serious.

Does it happen at all speeds? Does the noise frequency increases with speed? Does it do it while turning?

I doubt this is the problem, but if you haven't, maybe you could swap out the rear differential fluid? (that's just my go-to diagnosis for all noises in 4wd Elements) :)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
I had a similar problem with a relatively new set of tires and found out the belts had separated (yes, the tires visually looked fine). Replaced under warranty and eliminated the problem. If you have a road hazard warranty, they might replace yours for free, or prorated... Good luck!! :grin: :razz: 8)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I had a similar problem with a relatively new set of tires and found out the belts had separated (yes, the tires visually looked fine). Replaced under warranty and eliminated the problem. If you have a road hazard warranty, they might replace yours for free, or prorated... Good luck!! :grin: :razz: 8)
Coopers used to be famous for this. Nowadays, I'd be wary of Uniroyal Tigerpaws. You didn't buy Tigerpaws by chance?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great responses. I still haven't had my car looked at.

To elaborate: It increases with speed to where I notice it less. It's most noticeable at small speeds.

Other interesting factoid: It does it often, but not all of the time.

I will check for loose things. I have an oil change today. I'll be lucky if I have time to hang out any longer to get it thoroughly checked over, though.

Well.. just hope it's not dangerous. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an oil change. They wanted $125 just to look at the issue, so I declined. At least their oil changes are reasonable.

Interestingly, they think, just on my verbal description, that it could be warped brake rotors. I just got new brakes last Spring. So, I'll be mad if it's that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Warped brake rotors are easily felt as pulsations in the braking, especially when driving slowly. It shouldn't be nearly that bad, and I would think would be very different from your description.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hello to Desinia. What are your issues with Tiger Paws? As it turns out, I have them on the front of my toaster and I am having tire "noise" issues and very intermitant faint "thumping". I will rotate them back to the rear to see if that clears up the issues. Your issues would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hello to Desinia. What are your issues with Tiger Paws? As it turns out, I have them on the front of my toaster and I am having tire "noise" issues and very intermitant faint "thumping". I will rotate them back to the rear to see if that clears up the issues. Your issues would be appreciated. Thanks.:)
Personally? I had an OEM set of four of them on a GMC half ton pickup, driven only on good roads and never heavily loaded. All four tires failed, one at a time, in the same way we're discussing here. Since then, I've been interested enough to notice similar stories from other owners. Uniroyal Tigerpaws are apparently very light because there's not very much -in- them where it ought to be. The interior layer of rubber peels away in strips, the air slowly seeps in to the belts, and then the tire fails. "THUMP THUMP THUMP... POW!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts