Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law fixed my element, he changed the starter and the spark plugs. Follow what to do the reset the computer,but now my car revvs up the it sounds like it's about to cut off. Also never had the engine light to come on but now it's on. What do I do.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
First thing to do before anything else is to find out why the engine light is on. An OBD code reader is a wonderful thing that plugs in to a special plug under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. I say "wonderful thing" because it'll tell you why that light is on. It's not necessarily a miracle cure in itself but without knowing the code, all you can do is make wild guesses and throw money and parts at it. Um... If you already know what I'm talking about, I apologize - HOWEVER, someone else reading this later might find it useful so there it is.

If your local auto parts store won't do this for free, you can get a perfectly adequate OBD code reader at a Walmart or similar for under $20 and it's a very useful tool to have - well worth the money. I'd like to make a guess that sounds miraculous by saying your brother-in-law just killed the power during the repairs and everything will settle down again in a few days of driving but that would be silly. There are so many other things that could've happened from your description so far that you really need that engine code to go any further.

It's possible that your in-law already has one of these readers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts