Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my South Coast E dash mat. I want to thank Jerry for his customer services. The mat fits well and I beleive it will help with reflection and heat.
dash cover 1 007.jpg

dash cover 1 005.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for being such a noob...but, what's the whole idea behind this dash mat? I mean, is it just to keep the dash cool or?! Hey...I've got no clue as to why anyone would want one, that's all!? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Sorry for being such a noob...but, what's the whole idea behind this dash mat? I mean, is it just to keep the dash cool or?! Hey...I've got no clue as to why anyone would want one, that's all!? Thanks in advance!

It also protects the dash from fading & cracking from the heat. I'm from Texas, and the summer starts early here (will be 90+ today and it lasts late in the year). Dashes get seriously abused here.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got one to protect the dash. I put things on the wide dash and because in cars I have had in the past the dash has discolored over the years in the sun and heat of the gulf coast. Some have cracked. I try hard to protect the dashes with products that were made for that and they did not always work.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
South Coast Dash Mat

I have to chime in on this one. I wasn't a fan of the furry carpet type dash mats with the Batman cape that hangs down on the passenger side. So we designed a clean form fitting dash cover we call the 'E' OPREM Dash Mat. The fabric we use looks and feels like a wetsuit, but it will stand up to the harmful suns rays.
In some western states the sun beating down on your car all day can cause temps to reach 190 degrees F. on your dash.:mad: This constant heat and UV rays can cause cracking, warping and fading of your plastic dash, and that will end up hurting your future resale. Our mat will also cut down on windshield glare and haze.
It took some time for us to locate the best quality manufacture to produce this mat for us. I'm proud to say we're in full production and they use the latest Cad Cam cutting equipment. This process insures a quality product and a excellent fit every time. :D

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I have to chime in on this one. I wasn't a fan of the furry carpet type dash mats with the Batman cape that hangs down on the passenger side. So we designed a clean form fitting dash cover we call the 'E' OPREM Dash Mat. The fabric we use looks and feels like a wetsuit, but it will stand up to the harmful suns rays.
In some western states the sun beating down on your car all day can cause temps to reach 190 degrees F. on your dash.:mad: This constant heat and UV rays can cause cracking, warping and fading of your plastic dash, and that will end up hurting your future resale. Our mat will also cut down on windshield glare and haze.
It took some time for us to locate the best quality manufacture to produce this mat for us. I'm proud to say we're in full production and they use the latest Cad Cam cutting equipment. This process insures a quality product and a excellent fit every time. :D
Jerry, just curious about the airbag that comes out of the dash. Have you figured out what would happen in an accident? I can't imagine that it would impede the deployment of the bag, but I would be worried about that large carpet being thrown into your face some how. Not knocking the product, just questioning if you've thought the safety aspect through?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have never understood dash mats. I live in AZ and it has been over 100 several times already this year. We average about 5 months of constant 100+ temperatures. I never had a dash mat on my Grand Cherokee (in AZ for 8 years) and it looks brand new. Use a high quality Protectant instead of the shiny crap the car wash uses. If you are that concerned about your dash cracking and fading try and have a tinting company put a UV protective film on your windshield.

The E I bought had one of those cheesy carpet mats on it. It is now sitting in the garage, anyone want it? I will admit that the one pictured is much better looking that one I am familiar with, but I still think it looks better without it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lived in Scottsdale, Lake Havasu, and Fountain Hills Arizona for about 10 years. I had two vehicles that had dashes that cracked and two others that I never had a problem with. I never liked the carpet looking mats either. I am very happy with this one. I think it will meet my needs very well.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerry, just curious about the airbag that comes out of the dash. Have you figured out what would happen in an accident? I can't imagine that it would impede the deployment of the bag, but I would be worried about that large carpet being thrown into your face some how. Not knocking the product, just questioning if you've thought the safety aspect through?
That is a good question. The mat is very light weight and held in place with small Velcro tabs. I did not use all the tabs. So far I just use 3 in the back. 1 on each end and one in the center. It fit so well it did not seem to need more. After sitting in the gulf sun for a day the mat seem to just settle in place and it does not moved around as I drive. But even using all the tabs I do not think it would be an issue. The mat is so light and with the force the bag deploys I think the mat would just lift out of the way. Like the side airbags in the front seat do. I am sure Jerry will let us know.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
South Coast Dash Mat

Hi Larry thanks for asking. Safety is the first thing we looked at. This was one of the reasons it took so long to locate the proper manufacture to produce it. There are many small custom shops in So. Calif. we could have used. We chose to go with one of the largest dash mat companies in the USA. They were founded in 1983, and they supply over 3000 Dealers & Distributors nationwide. They make many other interior products including seat covers that we're looking to carry.
The manufacture says all their mats have been designed not to hinder the deployment of the airbag. In fact the light weight mat material used for the 'E' Oprem dash mat has a total weight of less than 12oz. It's very light weight and soft with a foam type base. The design of this mat covers the top of the dash only, and most Element dash mats including their own mats hang down over the passenger side close to the storage ledge area. This dash cover has been designed and in the works for over a year. I've had the prototype on my dash that long just to see how it would hold up. We are proud and honored to have them producing this mat for us in the USA.
Last we would like to address the sun & heat issue in your vehicle. I was a second stage manufacture for Chrysler and GM in the 70's- 80's & 90's. I owned a Custom Van Conversion Co. that supplied those custom high end Vans on your dealers lots. We found that much of the damage was not all from the sun's rays as it is the expansion and contraction of the materials in the vehicles. Besides the damaging UV sun rays your dash & interior can reach temps. of 190 F. Then at night it can drop down to 60-70F. That's well over a 100 degrees of change. Your going to get movement ( expansion and contraction ) that's what causes the warping, cracking, and delamination of some products used in vehicles. Your dash area is the hottest area because the glass lets the heat through. have you ever seen a window or sunroof blow out for no reason in the summer. That's what happens, we've replaced many in our days. I'm not trying to debate this, but the sun, and it's UV rays will damage the exterior and interior of your Element.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ordered one too. Living in AZ, I just don't want to take the chance of getting a warped/cracked dashboard. It's happened to several of my vehicles in the past... Thanks Jerry!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Received my dash mat this past week and got around to installing it this weekend. It took a bit of time to get here (thanks for the head's up, Jerry), but it was well worth the wait!

The quality, fit, & finish are all top-notch and the mat looks great. Although installation is fairly straighforward, take a bit of time to think things through before diving in.

I think there are about 14 velcro mounting points in all, but as carvingbarn mentioned, it's probably not necessary to use all of them, but they're there if you choose to do so. With a few strategically chosen mounting points, it doesn't appear the mat will slide around at all, and I don't think the mounting points on either side of the center vents will be needed.

Also, if you previously used any kind of plastic protectant or dressing on your dash pieces, the supplied towelette may not cut it to thoroughly clean the plastic. Use a good plastic cleaner (test in a small, inconspicuous place first) and get any residue off so that the hook portions of your mounting tabs wil have good adhesion.

Great product and as others have said, it's well worth it to save the appearance of your dash and preserve the resale value in the years ahead. I'm all set for the hot summer Hawaiian sun (thanks again, Jerry/SCE)!

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kdogg has the black mat I have the gray. I have had my mat in place two days now, over 90 degrees today. There is a notable deferent’s in the heat in the front. I could not be happier with the product.
dash cover 1 005.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts