Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Elementeers! I'm a New owner of a 2003 ex 2wd! I have been researching tire sizes and models obsessively and still can't decide on a good option. Here are my driving standards:

1. Tires must work well in dry hot southern california weather
2. Tires must handle well on canyons and inclines especially during occasional rain (my work requires PLENTY of driving around mulholland and thru santa monica mountains).
3. the longer lasting, the better (I would be satisfied to make tires last 50,000 miles).
4. The more quiet the tire, the better.
5. should handle occasional light off-roading for camping. (snow should not be too important as long as I can put on chains, right?).
6. Oh, and preferably shipped, installed and balanced for under 550$.

Now for the options I've considered so far:
1. Michelin LTX m/s or a/s (625-70-16) - all the rave but unfortunately too pricey for me, and softer rubber won't last as long in socal.
2. low cost falken h/t (615-70-16) - low price, but might not suit my standards.
3. tires with 625-60-16 - same rims, wider for turning on canyons, shorter for closer odometer readings. Maybe something like the yokohama avid ascend?

Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firestone Destination LE 2 vs. 225-60-16 tire size

The Firestone Destination LE 2 shows some good reviews on tirerack. I'm just concerned with the B temperature rating of the tire...might not last as long when left out in the heat. That, and I was hoping to find a tire with a size 225-60-16, a size this tire is not available in.

Regardless, it does look like a great option. I will definitely consider it! Thanks

just curious, do any element users have tires with a size 225-60-16?
If so, feel free to share your experiences with handling and mpg.

·
Registered
477 Posts
When I'm ready to buy new tires in about a year or two, I'm looking at getting the Kumho Solus KR21 in 225.70.16. It's an all season, no nonsense good looking tire priced at $107 each with 85,000 mile warranty at America's Tire. I live in Sacramento and it is HOT here for most of the year.
The size your looking at won't meet your budget of <$500. The handling will be a bit better but noisier and harsher. I wouldn't go more than 65 vs 60. There are plenty of folks here that run much bigger wheel combos with 40 or 45 series tires without problems. That will run you well over $1k for a set and expect to replace your rubber sooner not later. As with most things compromised in life, the same holds true for tires. You'll give up some comfort and quiet for a better handling tire. The Kumho IMO, sacrifices little, has good consumer reviews and I love the fact that America's Tire sells them. I've purchased many tires from them and their service is top notch. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
recent Kumho Solus KR21 purchase

I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase the Solus KR21s. I got them for a great price, and in the stock size 215-70-16. I'll plan on updating when I work the tires in for a few miles. Thanks for the recommendations!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts