Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't getting any responses in the speaker thread so I figured I'd post a new thread.

I currently have an alpine deck and the OEM 7 speaker and sub set up and I can crank the volume pretty loud. However with any bass heavy music the sound will distort and I'm not able to play my music as loud as I'd like, typically I can only turn up the volume to around 12-14 if there's a lot of bass and maybe 16 if there isn't.

I've been looking at the polk db651s as it seems to be the best budget friendly replacement at $150 for 4 speakers, but I'd like to get other's opinions before I pull the trigger. Would there be a noticable difference as far as the bass is concerned or would there be other speakers that are better suited around the $200 price level?

Also, would there be any benifit to adding bass blockers or is it built into the polk?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use those with an eclipse deck and an OEM Sub (road rage powered). I actually replaced the speakers first using the oem headunit and the difference was amazing (there's that bass...I knew it was in there, somewhere). It wasn't good enough to make me stop, however. I skipped the bass blockers, since I planned on getting a headunit with a built in crossover. The eclipse uses high pass and low pass filters. That combined with some EQ tweeking and I'm very happy with the final product.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use those with an eclipse deck and an OEM Sub (road rage powered). I actually replaced the speakers first using the oem headunit and the difference was amazing (there's that bass...I knew it was in there, somewhere). It wasn't good enough to make me stop, however. I skipped the bass blockers, since I planned on getting a headunit with a built in crossover. The eclipse uses high pass and low pass filters. That combined with some EQ tweeking and I'm very happy with the final product.
So since I don't have a cross over would I use the bass blockers in my case, or do the polk speakers already have it built in? Also how much harder can you drive the polks over the original speakers?

·
Registered
70 Posts
So since I don't have a cross over would I use the bass blockers in my case, or do the polk speakers already have it built in? Also how much harder can you drive the polks over the original speakers?
I don't see the point of bass blockers, unless you are using a sub...since I don't know what model you have...hint hint.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you arent going to get any "real" bass responce out of any 6.5's you put in the doors of the Element. i ahve a set of Kappa components in the front and 2ways in the back and they were ok as far as midbass but to get really lowend you will need to chenge out the factory sub and/or put a sub in the back. the polks will be much cleaner than the factorys were but probably not even as much "bass" as the factorys since the cone material of the original speakers being paper is actually more efficent and better sounding than the poly materials that make up the polks, or practically any aftermarket speaker for that matter. the problem with paper cones is volume, once it starts going up they arent as stiff and tend to start sounding bad. if you are loooking for cleaner sound then the polks will do you well, if you want more bass then replace the sub or add one to the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see the point of bass blockers, unless you are using a sub...since I don't know what model you have...hint hint.
I said I had the 7 speaker set up, the one with the sub.
And I guess I'm not looking for too much bass response out of the polks, I just don't want the same thing where it craps out once I start turning up the volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts