Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help, but I know this issue could be multiple things.

I run a stock h/u with an LOC after the stock amp to an aftermarket amp. All my door speakers are aftermarket to include a sub seperate from the stock sub.

My issue arose after 4 years of flawless running with this setup. Recently upon starting up the vehicle I realized the front left and right rear door speakers are inactive until I bounce the volume to loud and back down to normal listening volumes. I checked the door connections and they are still soldered from when I did them originally. I checked the LOC and all connections are solid. H/U issue? To me it definitely revolves around voltage, since the quick crank up of volume is voltage based, whatcha think?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
I think that you have a bad connection, probably to ground, and that by cranking up the level you are increasing the voltage in the circuit enough to temporarily burn though the coating at the bad connection. An apparently solid connection mechanical does not guaranty an electrically good connection. A poor solder connection can fail over time, as can a bad crimp or a plug contact exposed to humidity.

I'd start by disconnecting and cleaning off the ground connections, resoldering or replacing the non-stock wiring connections to your aftermarket amp, especially the input connections.

If that doesn't fix the problem, disconnect and reconnect each plug type connection in your audio system, one at a time. If you find a flaky connector, try disconnecting it and reconnecting it several times, spraying a shot of silicone spray into it. Often just doing that will clean off enough oxidation to solve the problem temporarily. Honda uses a dielectric grease in some of their connectors specifically to prevent moisture from corroding and insulating the contacts.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! As assumed the issue could be anywhere. I'll post up if I correct the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts