Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is weird. I normally listen to my music pretty loud, which isn't going to ever change...so therefore I usually require a new set of speakers in every new car I get. Anyways, BEFORE I did a thing to my BRAND NEW 2010 SC, if I listened to music loud for a extended period of time, the audio would cut out completely. Now if I turn off my HU and turn it back on, everything works just fine again. Since then, I replaced all my 4 main speakers (still had stock sub and tweeters)....thought that might help, but it happened again a week or so later. I then chalked it up to being the factory amp possibly having a 'safety feature' for loud listeners like me to protect the speakers.

BUT I just replaced my factory radio with a new AVIC-Z110BT and the audio shop (claimed they) also bypassed the factory amp. Which it sounds pretty darn good (no static, etc.) so I believe them, but don't really know how to tell. Anyways, IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!! WHY WHY WHY!!! WHAT THE FREAKING CRAP!!!

It's even more annoying now, cause I don't think there's a way to 'restart' the AVIC-Z110BT without pulling over and shutting off the ignition and then cranking it back up again....ANNOYING. Can someone please tell me WHY this is happening??? I don't get it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When you say "loud" how high up (number) do you listen to your music when it cuts out? Whats the highest number you can turn your radio up to? It possibly might be that you're overheating the amp in your aftermarket head unit too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
BUT I just replaced my factory radio with a new AVIC-Z110BT and the audio shop (claimed they) also bypassed the factory amp. Which it sounds pretty darn good (no static, etc.) so I believe them, but don't really know how to tell.
take the passenger sill plate off so you can remove the passenger kickpanel. if the 2 connectors are still plugged in to the amp then they didnt bypass it, they integrated with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take the passenger sill plate off so you can remove the passenger kickpanel. if the 2 connectors are still plugged in to the amp then they didnt bypass it, they integrated with it.
Is it possible that they just snipped some wires off the factory wiring instead? I actually pulled it out when I got it back from the shop and noticed that on they snipped two wires on the vehicle side (meaning, two of the wires BEFORE the actual plastic connector that connects to the Metra harness I purchased). Does that make sense or should I clarify that a bit more?

·
Registered
877 Posts
to bypass the amp, they would have needed to snip at least 8 wires (a positive and negative for each of the 4 channels), plus possibly more for the sub. Did you check the kickpanel/amp as per Yoda's recommendation yet?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yeah, it sounds like they didnt bypass anything to me. i dont know what they may have done if they only cut 2 wires, especially on the main radio harness. i have a steering wheel interface that i'd sell you if you need one too. :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, it sounds like they didnt bypass anything to me.
Right on the money. So I finally had time to pull out the passenger's side kick panel (had I known it was really a 30 second deal, I would of done it MUCH sooner :| )....and to my amazement I discovered they hadn't even touched the stock amp. I took it back to the shop, fully expecting to roll up my sleeves and put up a fight, but they wow'ed me and honored their word and got me right in the shop. Sounds MUCH better...but I think what happened was the stock amp was (or is) going bad. A week after I posted this, I started getting feedback and only ONE of the speakers started cutting out...then just the front two...then just the passenger's side....yeah, really confusing. Plus the resistor on the back of the tweeter on the passenger's side speaker about burnt my finger off it was so hot.......I'm guessing either the stock amp has fried 2 of my speakers or that pair is going bad. Guess I'll have to send those back, cause even after the stock amp was bypassed, the passenger-side speaker made a high-pitched noise the other day...though it hasn't *yet* cut out. Thanks all for your help!!! Just wanted to let you know what the result was from your suggestions!!! I appreciate it!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts